New Pink Floyd reissues possibly with surround...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zones on BD and Regions on DVD may sound similar but they are not.
Region free operation can be done on most DVD players easily, usually with a remote hack of some sorts.
BD Zoning is hard wired and much harder to bypass - usually requiring circuitry and resets each time the zone changes again.
What Sony did have was a chance to avoid the dreadful charades of DVD's ill-fated Region encoding, yet they did just the opposite.

Thanks for the clarification. "Zones" are a different animal altogether on BR players. Perhaps BR disc authoring could be made "Zone free." If not, Sony and those who use those "Zones" will find the practice self-defeating, one would think in this day and age.

When I went for the Genesis box (the Gabriel stuff) I found that
If you got the US Box, it was CD and NTSC DVD, if you got the Euro box, it was SACD & PAL DVD.
So... I got mine from Japan which is NTSC. So I got the SACDs with NTSC DVDs.
They are all zone free though.

The Depeche Mode stuff is CD & NTSC DVD here in the US and SACD & PAL DVD everywhere else.
The Japanese copys are well... expensive as hell now!
They should ALL be SACD & DVD, period.

Thanks for the clarification. "Zones" are a different animal altogether on BR players. Perhaps BR disc authoring could be made "Zone free." If not, Sony and those who use those "Zones" will find the practice self-defeating, one would think in this day and age.

They certainly are, as right now it seems most of the "Zone Free" kits are just that - kits with a circuit board in them that goes between the player fascia & the motherboard.
Easy enough to install but they will invalidate your warranty if you get a problem & leave it in there.....

BD discs can certainly be made Zone Free, and any we put out will certainly not be zoned unless the label or studio insists - and even them we will point out that this would require multiple masters to be made, with multiple project validation checks (each one chargeable of course), multiple AACS setups etc.....but you get the picture.
Plus it makes no sense. The reason DVD had regions to begin with was because of the situation where a movie that has premiered, done the rounds & gone to DVD in the USA might not have even hit the cinemas yet in Europe. Therefore (or so the brain cells in the studios thought) we use Region coding to stop people buying a DVD in the USA whilst on holiday to watch a film - in their own homes - that has not been released in Europe yet.
That was the thinking (if you can call it that).
Pretty dumb if you ask me.....

First listen review and some discussion of the 5.1 stuff.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/f...e-of-the-moon-immersion-edition-first-listen/

Shine On You Crazy Diamond Screen Film (5.1 Surround)
Available on Disc 4 and 5 of forthcoming Wish You Were Here Immersion Edition

Since the 5.1 Wish You Were Here mix is the stuff of legend, this was always going to be a highlight. The combination of seeing the cleaned up Screen Films and hearing Shine on You Crazy Diamond in Surround Sound was incredible! The 5.1 mix is amazing with full use of rears and centre channels.
Welcome to the Machine Screen Film (5.1 Surround)
Available on Disc 4 and 5 of forthcoming Wish You Were Here Immersion Edition

This amazing in 5.1. The first acoustic guitar chimes in on the front speakers, the second on the rear right and third on the rear left. It’s a very busy surround mix and works brilliantly with the animated film which looks very clean.

Thanks for the article!

I highly recommend we post our comments about no 5.1 mix for "The Wall" and for a release of the Quadraphonic mix of "Animals." Sort of a "Now or Never" proposition at this point, so please speak up.

I think you stated all of our questions very nicely. Thanks OQG.:cool:

Spence

Thanks for the article!

I highly recommend we post our comments about no 5.1 mix for "The Wall" and for a release of the Quadraphonic mix of "Animals." Sort of a "Now or Never" proposition at this point, so please speak up.

I completely agree, but the intended audience doesn't speak English, as alluded to all over in the PF lyrics. They're also fairly deaf to reasoning or pleading. The only languages and arguments they understand are: $, £ and €.

So, go on amazon and pre-order DSOTM and WYWH Immersion sets, but not The Wall. Ask your friends, relatives, subordinates and house pets to do the same -- they can cancel later, though that'll be the shame. Even now the ranking of the 3 Immersion sets are #444, #626 and (yikes) #1124 -- the trend's clearly there! If we can bring the ratings for the surround editions into the top 100, someone may get the point.

That's a great idea! Hit them in the wallet.. I mean "The Wall" box set I'm sure will also be a nice one, but personally I'm not buying it without Multi-Channel. I'll buy something else. Clearly PF could have done one for this title as they're not exactly hurting for money if costs were the issue. Or one would have thought there were some sort of Multi-Channel mixes from the live shows they did back then. Oh well.. Here's hoping we get more Immersion box sets of other PF albums with Quad and/or Multi-Channel mixes.

i wouldn't buy from this anything.
such box with single worthy disc are cost aprox. as much as i paid for all surround releases of PT

Apples and oranges.

Agreed.

My stance on this has always been, if you want to support surround, support all music, whether it is surround or not.

I'm not buying these, not because they don't have surround mixes, but because I paid my PF penance with the "Shine On" set and subsequent early remasters.

hey guys, i don't have convertible "pinkfloydomobile" where i can glued to windshield "replica tickets",
wrap my neck by "pinkfloydoscarves" and drive around the town :)
on serious note - if there are "they're not exactly hurting for money", why do not print what average
listener would buy, beside the box, filled up with fancy scarves and fake tickets?

hey guys, i don't have convertible "pinkfloydomobile" where i can glued to windshield "replica tickets",
on serious note - if there are "they're not exactly hurting for money", why do not print what average
listener would buy, beside the box, filled up with fancy scarves and fake tickets?

Totally agree would rather they reduced the price and ditched all the crap and kept it to the music and maybe a well written and researched book/booklet.

Agreed.

My stance on this has always been, if you want to support surround, support all music, whether it is surround or not.
hm, you have very interesting approach.
well, my stance slightly differ. it's sort of "time/circumstances got quite change and that's enough
to live on mercy of record industry. now they should live on our mercy"

But I need the fake ticket so I can go to the fake concert wearing my PF Scarf. ;)

As far as these Box sets go, folks should have more options what to buy. There is a surround market that just wants the Quad/Multi-Channel titles and nothing more. Not everyone has the money or room. I've certainly ran out of both. That being said, if I can get DSOTM and WYWH box set's for around $100 or less, it's very much worth it to me. I don't like that the Quadraphonic mixes are not on the Blu-Ray discs as that could have been easily done, but I do like what is here and how these have been put together, scarfs and tickets notwithstanding. This is the first official re-release of the Quadraphonic mixes since the 1970's. Let's not forget how important that is and how many new folks will finally get a chance to hear these mixes. Not everyone is as familiar with this material as we are. I'm also hoping very, very much for an "Animals" and "Meddle" Immersion box sets with the original Quadraphonic mixes.

I agree with Old Quad Guy on this point. I don't need all of the crap that's coming in these boxes, especially the frakking scarves. I'm also a bit bummed that the original quad mixes aren't being presented in equal quality to the new mixes. But it's still damned cool that they're coming out in an official capacity at all, plus we have our own LPs and Q8's and a galaxy of different tape and LP transfers that people have made over the years to fall back on if we don't feel that the 640 kbps Dolby sounds as good as it should.

But, if there's one thing that I've learned from the 6-7 years I've been a surround-o-phile, audiophile, and videophile: expect that nothing is ever perfect, or you'll go insane. When something does make it out that's near perfection, you enjoy it that much more (I'm thinking about my unexpected love for the Steve Hoffman mastered Nat King Cole discs, although I'm sure someone out there is complaining about how much they suck at this very moment). These PF Immersion releases sound like they're going to be great. Not perfect, but great.

I hope that the other albums get the treatment, or at least "Atom Heart Mother," "Animals," and "Meddle." I'd buy them all.

that's weird to hear people claim to be audiophile and at same time see how they excited from
listening to "high-resolution" dolby stream and paying big buck for about anything.
you should figure out what do you want - the hi-res audio or MP3 but official, is sufficient for you?
as long as you buy all this crap, which labels feed you, for them there are no necessity to offer out
anything in better quality, period.

Atom Heart Mother - oh yes! I have a quad copy from somewhere on CD - it's good but would be magic to hear it cleaned up in surround. I am busy transcribing my quad stuff to PC for in-house surround streaming - last night Bachman Turner Overdrive - Not Fragile - ah the memories.....

that's weird to hear people claim to be audiophile and at same time see how they excited from
listening to "high-resolution" dolby stream and paying big buck for about anything.
you should figure out what do you want - the hi-res audio or MP3 but official, is sufficient for you?
as long as you buy all this crap, which labels feed you, for them there are no necessity to offer out
anything in better quality, period.

Why can't they just make everything in exactly the format I want?!?!?! :)

The great QQ contradiction occurs when we start complaining about not having enough music out there, but then complain as to everything not being exactly the way we want it. Also see: The Caravan thread.

Back