New Pink Floyd reissues possibly with surround...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am eager to see what Acoustic Sounds has to offer. What format do you suppose that will be? It would be nice if the Quad mixes as well as Guthrie's mixes were 24/96 hi-rez but at this point that seems doubtful.

The good news is that we will finally be getting the 5.1 mix of WYWH. :cool:

Sorry to say that: Boring!
All this fuss to get only a 640Kb Dolby Digital?
Gotta see the Acoustic Sound release...

+1 here...if it's Dulby, I'll pass and stick to my conversion of WYWH from SQ...heck , I'll even give the SQ DSOTM another whirl!

It appears from the listings that to get the Blu-ray versions, you have to purchase the $100 box sets and I sure hope that isn't the case.

Maybe Blu-ray... but if even on BR is a DD640 ?

Maybe Blu-ray... but if even on BR is a DD640 ?

Yep, Dolby Digital is 640 kbp/s on Blu-ray. DD+ of 6.1 or 7.1 channels is done slightly differently, using both Dolby Digital at 640 and an 'extension' stream for the extra rear channels (with a 6 or 7.1 channel release), unlike HD-DVD where DD+ could be the entire stream at much, much higher bitrates. I think that's why there's not many DD+ titles on Blu-ray - it's a kludgey implementation and with DTS in its various lossy and lossless formats available and Dolby True HD lossless, DD+ for Blu-ray is a useless format. In the EBU tests of various low bitrate coders, Dolby Digital @ 640 was basically indistinguishable from the source - DTS at 756 was considered unacceptable, while DTS at 1.5 mbp/s was as close as Dolby 640 to the source.

DISC 5 - BLURAY:

-AUDIO: Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (previously unreleased) high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit

I am eager to see what Acoustic Sounds has to offer. What format do you suppose that will be? It would be nice if the Quad mixes as well as Guthrie's mixes were 24/96 hi-rez but at this point that seems doubtful.

The good news is that we will finally be getting the 5.1 mix of WYWH. :cool:

But they haven't said anything about the Quad mixes on Acoustic Sounds, only Guthrie's 5.1?

The same with the BD release, no Quads in hi-rez. I find that really weird.

Acoustic Sounds will have a winner here. Hopefully, someone will notice! :D

How about a 5 SACD set with the two Guthrie surround mixes, the two Q8 mixes of DSOTM & WYWH, and a special SACD with the UK Q8 version of Atom Heart Mother.

That would be a big seller too, IMHO.

The Wall Immersion from Play.com:

Disc 1 - The Wall Digitally Remastered by James Guthrie, 2011

In The Flesh?
The Thin Ice
Another Brick In The Wall Part 1
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick In The Wall Part 2
Mother
Goodbye Blue Sky
Empty Spaces
Young Lust
One of My Turns
Don't Leave Me Now
Another Brick In The Wall Part 3
Goodbye Cruel World

Disc 2 - The Wall Digitally Remastered by James Guthrie, 2011

Hey You
Is There Anybody Out There
Nobody Home
Vera
Bring The Boys Back Home
Comfortable Numb
The Show Must Go On
In The Flesh
Run Like Hell
Waiting For The Worms
Stop
The Trial
Outside The Wall

Disc 3 - The Wall Album Demos (Previously Unreleased)

TBC

Disc 4 - The Wall Album Demos (Previously Unreleased)

TBC

Disc 5 - Is There Anybody Out There: The Wall Live (Digitally Remastered in 2011 by James Guthrie)

MC:Atmos (Live)
In The Flesh? (Live)
The Thin Ice (Live)
Another Brick In The Wall (Part 1) (Live)
The Happiest Days Of Our Lives (Live)
Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) (Live)
Mother (Live)
Goodbye Blue Sky (Live)
Empty Spaces (Live)
What Shall We Do Now? (Live)
Young Lust (Live)
One Of My Turns (Live)
Don't Leave Me Now (Live)
Another Brick In The Wall (Part 3) (Live)
The Last Few Bricks (Live)
Goodbye Cruel World (Live)

Disc 6 - Is There Anybody Out There: The Wall Live (Digitally Remastered in 2011 by James Guthrie)

Hey You (Live)
Is There Anybody Out There? (Live)
Nobody Home (Live)
Vera (Live)
Bring The Boys Back Home (Live)
Comfortably Numb (Live)
The Show Must Go On (Live)
MC:Atmos (Live)
In The Flesh (Live)
Run Like Hell (Live)
Waiting For The Worms (Live)
Stop (Live)
The Trial (Live)
Outside The Wall (Live)

No sign of surround yet. :(

This should sell about 0 copies. Waste of plastic.

Now which one(s) to get???? :smokin
i would advise to get one which is pink

would be nice to have original quad mix in master quality.
oh well, will hope mr. Guthrie didn't done same alteration to his quad version as he did to DSOTM.

How about a 5 SACD set with the two Guthrie surround mixes, the two Q8 mixes of DSOTM & WYWH, and a special SACD with the UK Q8 version of Atom Heart Mother.
That would be a big seller too, IMHO.
hm?! i'd never thought that you're such a dreamer.

Regarding the (predictable) pearl-clutching here over the DVD surround mixes being offered as 640kbps AC-3 and not DTS or lossless:

1. 448 and 640kbps are AC-3 (Dolby Digital) standard and high bitrates, respectively
  2. 640kbps AC-3 is touted by Dolby as subjectively equivalent to the highest standard bitrate of DTS (1509 kbps) which, in turn,
  3. may be subjectively equivalent to lossless in blind tests (EBU tests noted above).
  4. AC-3 is not mp3; they are different codecs. So 640kbps AC-3 is not directly equivalent to 640 kbps mp3 (which is academic anyway, since 320kbps is the current maximum mp3 bitrate for most users -- and is typically indistinguishable from source)

(Also as a side note, 640 kbps is not DVD-V audio spec, so it will be interesting to see how this is handled by older DVD players. That may be why they included a 448kbps version)

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to hearing the 5.1 and quad mixes of WYWH...on DVD.

... (Also as a side note, 640 kbps is not DVD-V audio spec, so it will be interesting to see how this is handled by older DVD players. That may be why they included a 448kbps version)

My (old - circa 2003) DVD-A/SACD player doesn't support DD 640K - I checked this the other week on the Pulse DVD which has a DD 640K stream.

I'll just have to buy a Oppo BDP-95 Blu-Ray (y) player so I can play the DD 640 K, and the Blu-ray disc.

This is going to get expensive :yikes

Back