Oasis reunites for 2025 UK stadium tour

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this on the Oasis subreddit and I want to preface this by saying this article is not real. It is however, the sort of headline I'd expect if/when Oasis break up again.
1000009139.png

Even better if we could see an sde blu ray of it with not just the lossless atmos mix but also a hi res 24/96 stereomix. Sadly it's unlikely to be dynamic due as Owen has said before that it's a characteristic with the stereomix down. Unless a dynamic stereo remix is also made that is.

Just create your own mixdown from the Atmos track, works wonders with Pearl Jam's latest album (the official stereo mix is absolute gash)

Well with all of this there is still the music. I pulled out some of their cds to listen to since several years. Was there ever a group that had so many great B sides that could have been hits? Not too many.

Definitely Maybe and (What's The Story) Morning Glory? were originally appallingly engineered and mixed, with deliberately compressed dynamics. Have never sounded audiophile from the gate and will always sound horrible, from an audiophile's perspective.
Depends where the dynamic compression was done. If the multi tracks were compressed as originally recorded then there's no hope of anything better, but if it was done later during mixing or mastering then a re-mix could fix it.

Depends where the dynamic compression was done. If the multi tracks were compressed as originally recorded then there's no hope of anything better, but if it was done later during mixing or mastering then a re-mix could fix it.
I agree. While I always liked Oasis (they remind me of the Beatles) the sound could be better. The excessive compression might be part of the grungy sound that they were looking for but it is horrifying to us "Audiophiles". I would think and hope that it was done primarily in the CD mastering process, leaving hope for better sound on re-release.

I agree. While I always liked Oasis (they remind me of the Beatles) the sound could be better. The excessive compression might be part of the grungy sound that they were looking for but it is horrifying to us "Audiophiles". I would think and hope that it was done primarily in the CD mastering process, leaving hope for better sound on re-release.
One of the linked articles shows that a Japan CD single is a lot less brick walled, so there's some hope.

It was done during mixing and mastering, as evident in the original, pre-album mixes of Definitely Maybe and the SACD mixes of (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

For someone intimate with both albums, I don't dismiss the compression outright, because I think it works great in mixing for the rockers, adding a level of grit to what otherwise would be rather sterile recordings (especially for Definitely Maybe). When you reach the ballads, though, that's where it poses issues, flattening the more intricate and beautiful instrumentation.

I do believe the albums were mastered with too much compression, but the recent remasters were worse, hollow-sounding beings that are akin to giving a bowl haircut to a punk rocker, technically cleaner but emotionally soulless.

I had edited the albums through Perfect Declipper, which I think was able to undo much of the mastering distortion and make the releases more dynamic. Here's an example:

For (What's the Story) Morning Glory?, I edited from the original US release, as it de-essed the vocals better than the UK release.

Also, there was a 5.1 SACD release that featured a ton of errors in its presentation, which I detail here and try to fix up! The Vimeo link on the posting showing my edits is currently dead, so I've reposted it to YouTube!

It was done during mixing and mastering
In which case the original raw multi tracks should be without compression. But the question is whether they still exist.
For someone intimate with both albums, I don't dismiss the compression outright,
A remix could do it less heavy handedly though.

I never understood at the time what I didn't like about the sound of Oasis, except it felt like my ears were bleeding.

Last edited:
In which case the original raw multi tracks should be without compression. But the question is whether they still exist.
I mean if the multitracks for the Monnow Valley versions and Sawmills Outtakes still exist then the ones used for the final album are bound to still be there.

Oasis is a great rock ‘n roll band, so this is welcomed news. Hopefully this reunion eventually leads to a new album (unlike GN’R which has yielded little new music).

I can’t figure out why Oasis was not more popular in the USA. (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? is an absolute masterpiece. Definitely Maybe is great, and the rest of the catalog is very solid.

I saw them in 2001 during the Brotherly Love tour in Mansfield, MA. I recall reading at the time that this was the largest crowd for an Oasis show in the USA. I was surprised (if true) as this is a sub-20,000 seat venue.
I think I was at this show. I remember thinking both Oasis and Black Crowes had great guitar mixes. That night I think Oasis had Alan's brother (from Wellers band?) filling in on drums, and thought he was noticeably better than his brother. Oasis live thing early on was a little weak and improved by leaps and bounds when they got Zak to play drums for sure.

Back