Overheard at a convenience store this evening

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During Covid I had called a company about a problem and I could barely hear the rep and of all of sudden I hear this LOUD noise in the background...it was a freaking rooster....the young lady was working from home and she lived on a farm :whistle:
Er, ha, did she say "shut up Fog Horn"?
1722123451968.png

I was waiting in line at a undisclosed convenience store this evening and the guy in front of me was asking about the music playing. The clerk (who has a very eclectic taste in music I have to say) told him who it was and I did not get the reference but it was some offshoot of ā€˜Houseā€™ music or something. He started writing down the name of the artist or whatever and the guy in front of me said ā€œThatā€™s Ok, I only listen to house musicā€™.

The guy had to be in his late 20ā€™s to early 30ā€™s and didnā€™t come off as some kind of vacant club denizen. I thought to myself what a stupid statement to make, and how the guy must have horrible taste in music. That is almost like saying ā€œall I listen to is Cardi B. or Bananarama or whatever. I often wonder what some of these young people who listen to only say vapid pop, or rap, or bro country or a combination of either will do when they get to be middle aged? Because at least when I was growing up and maybe 13 or so I was already getting into the big progressive rock bands of the day. And a lot of that stuff had at least some roots in classical and jazz, which gave me a somewhat solid musical appreciation foundation to allow me to effortlessly move into other music genres as I grew out of it. And a lot of that stuff is still as good to this day which says a lot.

Can you imagine a bunch of 60 year olds going to a Cardi B, Brittany Spears, or Juice WRLD concert 30 years from now? It would not only be pathetic but pretty funny to see on top of that. Has anyone else here wondered the same thing or am I just being a elitist or musical snob?
Nothing personal by any means, but you asked, so I say musical snob. Every generation has a musical identity that is unique to their space in time. If you donā€™t like it, they donā€™t care. Your dislike only matters to you.

I feel that there is a lot of good music out now other than what is todayā€™s mainstream pop. For me, itā€™s important to keep one foot in the present and not become blinded by my old habits and tastes. Not judging anyone who feels like their feet are firmly planted in the past. I just need the duality.

Disclaimer that my roots are 60s, 70s and 80s rock, pop and blues, so I have a similar perspective as many others here. Very happy about the Quadio series and releases of old stuff on Blu-ray and new Atmos mixes of classic tunes.

Overall, I believe a good bit of our emotion is wasted on defining differences and comparing ourselves to those half our age. That approach feeds the cycles of politics, religion and other ways that we separate ourselves from each other.

Again, no bad intent toward the OP or anyone else. Iā€™m just trying to be smoother at my advancing age.

Finally, I think the lap steel player referred to may be Jeff Healey. Saw him many years ago at a club named Peabodyā€™s Down Under. He was great and jammed for a good while before the Fire Marshal shut it down due to excess capacity. These were also the days when smoking was still permitted indoors, so a fire in a small club with only two exits was a major concern.

Last edited:
During Covid I had called a company about a problem and I could barely hear the rep and of all of sudden I hear this LOUD noise in the background...it was a freaking rooster....the young lady was working from home and she lived on a farm :whistle:
I love the tech support from MS in India...you can hear the kids running around yelling or else 10 other people talking at a call center.
Don't misunderstand, I don't care who helps me as long as they do actually help.
I hate being told, "don't worry, rest assured we will fix your problem" then it gets escalated through 5 other people that don't know jack about complicated tech issues. Then after an hour the line goes dead.

Overall, I believe a good bit of our emotion is wasted on defining differences and comparing ourselves to those half our age. That approach feeds the cycles of politics, religion and other ways that we separate ourselves from each other.
Well I agree. But I don't care one whit if people's musical tastes are different. Or their religion. I may not understand it, but to each their own. I won't get into politics here as it's an endless cycle of grievances and ...well I'll leave it there.
But for those people who think it's cool that everyone else in public must hear their music wide open and impossible bass shaking my car from their huge subs, well one day I might just snap.

Well I agree. But I don't care one whit if people's musical tastes are different. Or their religion. I may not understand it, but to each their own. I won't get into politics here as it's an endless cycle of grievances and ...well I'll leave it there.
But for those people who think it's cool that everyone else in public must hear their music wide open and impossible bass shaking my car from their huge subs, well one day I might just snap.
Yep. Thereā€™s been a couple of times Ikve been driving on a freeway, and could hear the ā€œmusicā€ from the car behind me! I suspect they will have hearing aids in under a decade.

Edit - I also enjoy (most of) the pop music from my teens and twenties, but I do try to stretch my experience on occasion. This site has informed me of a lot of music I wouldnā€™t know about otherwise.

Yep. Thereā€™s been a couple of times Ikve been driving on a freeway, and could hear the ā€œmusicā€ from the car behind me! I suspect they will have hearing aids in under a decade.

Edit - I also enjoy (most of) the pop music from my teens and twenties, but I do try to stretch my experience on occasion. This site has informed me of a lot of music I wouldnā€™t know about otherwise.
Same thing when I joined....I wasn't a big fan of Prog music...except for the popular hits....can't say I am now...but...there were a lot of bands in rock....pop...jazz...blues and other categories that I discovered on here.....and still do :)

Back