Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I am in for all 4. Really looking forward to Bread and GCS a lot!!! You guys here talked me in to trying Bette Midler, listened to on Youtube, might be enjoyable. Duke E, I might as well try. Can't wait, anyone know the release date in Aug?

Rhino’s diversity of the quadio series continues with this latest batch. There’s something for everyone yet again. As a completist and a big supporter of these treasured reissues I will be buying all four and try to expand my musical horizons.
The dream quadio reissue series continues.
Thank you yet again Steve and team at Rhino for all your continued efforts.
Cheers to the next batch!
Exactly, now that there will soon be 24 titles to choose from - any newbie to immersive 4.0 can come in and pick up a few or a 4-pack and find just what interests them. The jazz fan has three very fine ones to nab, soft rock has Seals & Crofts, Bread, America, rock fan has Sabbath, Alice, and Geils, r&b fans have AWB, Roberta, Spinners, Hathaway, and War. And to round out those there are Randy, Bette, J. Starship, and Gord. And if those are just not enough... there is Deep Purple and Joni Mitchell for the real fans of those artists. And there are more to come.

We thank Steve for being the driving force behind this passion project, and the entire Rhino team for going along with it ambitiously.

The Duke Ellington is one I'm really looking forward to, my father was a huge Duke Ellington fan so I grew up with his music, I've always loved Bread so that is another plus for me. As I've grown older I like more and more Soul (used be just the Isley's, Smokey Robinson and a couple of others) so I'll definitely get Graham Central Station. The one I'm not sure about is the Bette Midler, it seems like its a great mix from what people have said, I'm not so certain the music is my 'cup-of-tea', but if they're all bundled again I'll get it.
Of course, and once you've committed to three of the titles, you are grabbing the forth one for $5.00 more.

"Second Line" is the Ellington track folks might want to check out. Hot "on-fire" jazz that sounds really great in quad. I think some listeners that may have thought Mingus was too out there, might enjoy the Ellington disc more, as he has extra swing in his bop!

Last edited:
Another great batch... And some good guesses from the forum folks especially with Bette Midler. Friends, Leader of the Pack & especially Bugle Boy should sound great in quad!

A couple thought processes I had:

1). Partly due to my age which is probably younger than the median here, but am I the only one discovering older releases from artists I picked up later in their career? I mean you couldn't escape "Miracles" or originally the America and Seals & Croft tunes in the early to mid-70s...but several other surprised me.

a. Bette for example I thought debuted with "The Rose"... Yeah that was 8 years removed from her first album!

b. J Geils Band. Really first heard of them with the Freeze Frame explosion during my childhood and then "Love Stinks" and "I Do" live. Only when I picked up the Rhino release of House party then I knew they went all the way back into the early 70s!

c. Randy Newman. Picked up on him with "I Love LA" which is very popular living in SoCal at the time...then I thought "Short People" was the start of his career. Nope...even earlier back to the early '70s

d. I first heard "Poison" from Alice Cooper in the late '80s. i had no idea Alice Cooper's seminal albums and songs were from the very early 70s--that single being almost 20 years later!

e. I know Eric Burden from the Animals and I knew he was in War. I knew War has "Low Rider" and "Why can't we be friends" but I had completely forgotten about "Cisco Kid" and how awesome their Ghetto album is that preceded both those main singles.

2). The Quadio releases make it plain as day that recordings were just more meticulously engineered back then compared to today--especially during the quad era prior to 1975. The best of them just sound noticeably "better" with more care and attention to detail. Maybe it was more of an attempt to appease The limited bandwidth of AM and FM radio that crept in is the 70s went on...but there was something going on...

You can even hear this in the Chicago Quadios because they span multiple years. Plain as day, the songs after Chicago VI aren't nearly as good sounding as the ones before. I mean compare this sublime "Critics Choice" (1973) to say "Another Rainy Day in New York City" (1976) and the difference is literally night and day on a halfway decent system--CC sounds at least twice as good as the muffled ARD. And they never reclaim their former sound glory after that. Am I the only one who noticed this?

I'm just glad I never succumbed to getting the more trending satellite speakers & sub and still have full range front and rear speakers to enjoy these as they were originally meant to be heard...with no processing or audio redirecting whatsoever.

Lastly, as previously mentioned...I think these are wildly surpassing the predictions of the Rhino staff at just how much the care they've put into reviving these classic albums have been noticed and appreciated--by way of the sales figures. This has to be one of the more successful "surround ventures" in the last 20 years after the relative debacle of DVD-Audio/SACD/Dual-disc/Pure Audio BD/pretty much everything else. Thanks Foraging Rhino (which has to be Steve himself) and the rest of the crew for this ambitious and well-received project!

Last edited:
Sorry to interrupt this here thread folks, but I've searched and searched...can someone give me the Spinners replacement disc catalog number? I've looked all over the place and can't seem to nail it down. Thanks in advance!

One more thing I forgot to mention:

Considering all the effort that went into these, they are very reasonably priced-- especially in the bundle form. Compare that cost even one vintage DVD-Audio (if you can even find it!) and it becomes even more of a deal.

Oh.. and a final tip to those like me piecing together your favorites of what's been released: Last I checked Rhino offered free shipping if you spend $100. Considering shipping is about $12, you're halfway to another title. So rather than say getting a 4-pack, spring for one more and it's only going to cost about 10 bucks to add another great title to your collection!

I'm currently going through Qobuz--which offer many of these in high-res stereo--to get a good idea of how they sound (and material also if unfamiliar like the Jazz entries). I will be doing that very described thing soon.

Sorry to interrupt this here thread folks, but I've searched and searched...can someone give me the Spinners replacement disc catalog number? I've looked all over the place and can't seem to nail it down. Thanks in advance!
  • Matrix / Runout: 58397568/0081227818982-V2 S 21 IFPI L021 [One-Blue logo]
1721145035963.png

https://www.discogs.com/release/29531200-Spinners-Spinners

🎯
:hi

Great selection for everybody's taste. I will buy them all. The only quad album that will get play from me on this batch is Bread - Baby, I'm A Want You.

Regards,

Last edited:
I was raised in a household with a lot of different music genres playing. Plus it was the 1969 to 1979 era. My mom liked "Hot Buttered Soul" and Bill Withers "Just As I Am" (R&B) albums along with my 45s and eventual albums. I actually had on 45s or LPs (some 8-tracks and a few cassettes) Roberta Flack, War, Jefferson Starship, Bette Midler, Alice Cooper, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Seals and Crofts, etc. The Quadio series titles were very much previously represented in my small record collection. I saw Seals and Crofts in concert on their "Diamond Girl" tour at the Las Vegas Convention Center. They were good but had sound issues that night. But S&C were no match for Steely Dan who would come into town and play that same Convention Center on their "Pretzel Logic" tour. That was a very rocking version of the Dan. I saw the Doobie Bros. open for Steely Dan on the "Countdown to Ecstasy" tour a year earlier at the Ice Palace. Also saw Doobie Bros. headline on their "Stampede" tour summer of '75 also at the Convention Center.

So my record collection and concert going experiences in early teen years appears to line up with many of the Quadio titles. It's too funny, and no one would believe it until I pull out the concert ticket stubs which of course I saved.

Last edited:
OK, I am in for all 4. Really looking forward to Bread and GCS a lot!!! You guys here talked me in to trying Bette Midler, listened to on Youtube, might be enjoyable. Duke E, I might as well try. Can't wait, anyone know the release date in Aug?
The Bette Midler in quad will blow away the YT feed you checked out. So that you have that to look forward to. The Ellington in quad is also so much more impressive. Atlantic records was all-in with quad it seems.

Last edited:
I heard ordering is actually July 26th... Not sure when shipping is.

If you want to check out how Bette approximately will sound... forget YouTube This album is in high-res on Qobuz (24/96)... not sure about the rest...

Back