Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outside today was sunny, bright and wonderful contemplating Quadio titles this week with coffee and h20. Like these pictures previously taken;
And sometimes it's nice to have slices of watermelon with my java as I imagine yet more quad mixes to still arrive on high-resolution disc.
It's not a horrible life when you consider the alternatives.

So which Quadio titles out of the new ones coming are most of you all contemplating hearing first?

Bawa1wF.jpg

41CzGtw.jpg
Probably the Graham Central Station and Bette Midler although I can say that I am very much looking forward to all four (4)! And unfortunately for us folk in Northern California, it was 108+ today so the thought of ANYTHING consumed outside of the air-conditioning or cool body of water, just doesn't sound appealing...

I didn't buy any of the batch 4 titles, I planned to wait and see if there were at least 3 titles in batch 5 I wanted (there are).

Come Friday - Seals & Crofts + Bread + GCS + Bette Midler + (maybe Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway).

Kirk Bayne
I can't fault your logic! At the end of the day, Rhino has been consistent in releasing batches of four (4) QUADIO's every quarter and I can honestly say that I have enjoyed all of them (varying degrees, of course!) and appreciate their commitment in making them available to the public in the best possible way (sonically as a physical product on Blu-ray) for the first time in 50+ years. We ALL win!!!

I didn't buy any of the batch 4 titles, I planned to wait and see if there were at least 3 titles in batch 5 I wanted (there are).

Come Friday - Seals & Crofts + Bread + GCS + Bette Midler + (maybe Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway).

Kirk Bayne
Us surround fanatics here are usually or I'd expect picking up the full 4-bundle batches, but I also suspect the majority of listeners out there are picking and choosing certain titles and skipping others. The America, Seals and Crofts, and Bread crowd is not usually up for Mingus and maybe not Gil Evans either. That's the way it is. But the eclectic mix of music titles does or should help one explore stuff outside our normal wheelhouse.

Be right back, I'm going into the kitchen right now and going to pour my fresh brew over ice to start my day off with that strong addictive jolt. I don't want to be paying Starbucks prices every day for the fix.

Us surround fanatics here are usually or I'd expect picking up the full 4-bundle batches, but I also suspect the majority of listeners out there are picking and choosing certain titles and skipping others. The America, Seals and Crofts, and Bread crowd is not usually up for Mingus and maybe not Gil Evans either. That's the way it is. But the eclectic mix of music titles does or should help one explore stuff outside our normal wheelhouse.

Be right back, I'm going into the kitchen right now and going to pour my fresh brew over ice to start my day off with that strong addictive jolt. I don't want to be paying Starbucks prices every day for the fix.
I have had to change my approach to which of these I buy. My original assumption was that most of them would be rock or pop and that a few would be outside those genres. I planned on buying them all and just checking out the fringier genres just to have them. (FYI - Bread, and Seals and Crofts don't do much for me, but I like America and Lightfoot so those were cool. R&B stuff needs to have a couple of hits on them to make it worth it).

So far I've bought all but two of them and I figured I'd pick them up with the subsequent bundles for the shipping advantage. However now it looks like the albums that I actually want (mostly rock and pop albums with at least a couple songs I know) are going to be the exception and not the rule. This current batch has nothing in it that I would have willingly picked up the album or CD over the last 40 years of collecting. I have to ask myself how many discs I want to add to my collection that I KNOW I probably won't care for, which, BTW already has a thousand titles that I took a chance on and will probably never listen to again, (I'm sure we all have a shitload of discs that fit this category).

Who knows, maybe peer reviews and FOMO will win in the end, but right now I am on the fence.

One thing that amazes me about this group at QQ is how genre neutral many are. In my life I have not met many people that like everything as is the norm as here. Most are zeroed in on a few genres and don't stray too far away from that unless they hear something and get the earworm effect.

...maybe Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway

So after getting Black Sabbath & Alice Cooper from a friend, I'm now trying to determine which next ones to get. My main parameter is bass performance because i won't have a sub option with my pure setup so it has to be there in the channel mix itself. These two in particular seem to have it in spades.... especially Roberta Flack. Considering it's also 24/192 (stereo) on Qobuz you can really get an idea what the quad mix will sound like as I listened intently to all the selections. Lovely in her case. Concerning the two discs I already have, Paranoid certainly has it but BDB it is lacking IMO in several tunes.

My other parameters I personally have is I need to know at least one song on the album (which takes out all the Jazz selections) and/or the disc has a special noted moment in it---like the uniquely wild Foghorn "soundscape" on the previous Van Morrison surround disc. The Roberta Flack option covers both of those with the very notable (reportedly TOO notable?) bass guitar for the well-known KMS--and the very notable bass presence on the entire album.

This was actually written (but not sent) before the last couple posts which imply many people only going for certain genres or music types. That's definitely my philosophy.

I have had to change my approach to which of these I buy. My original assumption was that most of them would be rock or pop and that a few would be outside those genres. I planned on buying them all and just checking out the fringier genres just to have them. (FYI - Bread, and Seals and Crofts don't do much for me, but I like America and Lightfoot so those were cool. R&B stuff needs to have a couple of hits on them to make it worth it).

So far I've bought all but two of them and I figured I'd pick them up with the subsequent bundles for the shipping advantage. However now it looks like the albums that I actually want (mostly rock and pop albums with at least a couple songs I know) are going to be the exception and not the rule. This current batch has nothing in it that I would have willingly picked up the album or CD over the last 40 years of collecting. I have to ask myself how many discs I want to add to my collection that I KNOW I probably won't care for, which, BTW already has a thousand titles that I took a chance on and will probably never listen to again, (I'm sure we all have a shitload of discs that fit this category).

Who knows, maybe peer reviews and FOMO will win in the end, but right now I am on the fence.

One thing that amazes me about this group at QQ is how genre neutral many are. In my life I have not met many people that like everything as is the norm as here. Most are zeroed in on a few genres and don't stray too far away from that unless they hear something and get the earworm effect.
There are a number of people on the forum for whom their interest in surround began in the 70's with the advent of quad. The availability of virtually any and all of the old quad mixes in well mastered disc format scratches the collector's itch in many of those folks. Additionally, as we get older many of us come to enjoy genres that we didn't find to be "cool" when we were in our youth. Yes, though there are genre-agnostic quad fans here at QQ, I would expect that a poll would find that the majority of QQers are mostly classic rock and folk fans, with some classic R&B mixed in.

The way I look at it, so far as collecting the quad reissues on Quadio or elsewhere, after one subtracts the classical (and shows/soundtracks) catalog from the quad discography list, there is really much less to collect. Then subtract the ones already reissued and you have yet even fewer titles. Take away the ones that the artists involved don't care to bother with and you are down to fewer yet. Then some lost or damaged masters, and the list shrinks even more. Bad commercial stiffs, yes some titles really are too obscure and lack any fan base and so are not in the running.

So after all these considerations I don't feel like there are hundreds and hundreds of quad masters to still reissue or that I really need to think long and hard before purchasing. There are simply not "that" many quad titles remaining from Sony, UMG, and WMG that imo are up for releasing. No need at all for me to worry about going broke buying these.

So I can buy all the Quadio series, enjoy each of them knowing there are not hundreds more yet to arrive or that I'd better be more selective.

There are dozens more things I expect to arrive, and not hundreds more. I'd like to hear them all. And then if I don't end up liking some or I end up not wanting to listen to some of them further, there is always that used market. I have never had a problem selling any surround disc in any format. Some of the titles I sold off went for pretty big bucks. I like to support the releases as they come out. And when they are out of print, I (sometimes) triple my original cash outlay with a sale.

Maria and Arlo are very low on my Quadio want list but I would probably buy them just to hear what they sound like in their fully glory as recordings & productions, and the quad mixes.

Last edited:

So after getting Black Sabbath & Alice Cooper from a friend, I'm now trying to determine which next ones to get. My main parameter is bass performance because i won't have a sub option with my pure setup so it has to be there in the channel mix itself. These two in particular seem to have it in spades.... especially Roberta Flack. Considering it's also 24/192 (stereo) on Qobuz you can really get an idea what the quad mix will sound like as I listened intently to all the selections. Lovely in her case. Concerning the two discs I already have, Paranoid certainly has it but BDB it is lacking IMO in several tunes.

My other parameters I personally have is I need to know at least one song on the album (which takes out all the Jazz selections) and/or the disc has a special noted moment in it---like the uniquely wild Foghorn "soundscape" on the previous Van Morrison surround disc. The Roberta Flack option covers both of those with the very notable (reportedly TOO notable?) bass guitar for the well-known KMS--and the very notable bass presence on the entire album.

This was actually written (but not sent) before the last couple posts which imply many people only going for certain genres or music types. That's definitely my philosophy.
"My main parameter is bass performance because i won't have a sub option with my pure setup so it has to be there in the channel mix itself." - These are 4.0 mixes, there is no specific LFE or "bass" channel defined in the mix so ALL bass will be in the 4.0 channels unless your AVR is doing something with the bass management.

The way I look at it, so far as collecting the quad reissues on Quadio or elsewhere, after one subtracts the classical (and shows/soundtracks) catalog from the quad discography list, there is really much less to collect. Then subtract the ones already reissued and you have yet even fewer titles. Take away the ones that the artists involved don't care to bother with and you are down to fewer yet. Then some lost or damaged masters, and the list shrinks even more. Bad commercial stiffs, yes some titles really are too obscure and lack any fan base and so are not in the running.

So after all these considerations I don't feel like there are hundreds and hundreds of quad masters to still reissue or that I really need to think long and hard before purchasing. There are simply not "that" many quad titles remaining from Sony, UMG, and WMG that imo are up for releasing. No need at all for me to worry about going broke buying these.

So I can buy all the Quadio series, enjoy each of them knowing there are not hundreds more yet to arrive or that I'd better be more selective.

There are dozens more things I expect to arrive, and not hundreds more. I'd like to hear them all. And if I don't end up liking some or I end up not wanting to listen to some of them, there is always that used market. I have never had a problem selling any surround disc in any format. Some of the titles I sold off went for pretty big bucks. I like to support the releases as they come out. And when they are out of print, I (sometimes) triple my original cash outlay with a sale.

Maria and Arlo are very low on my Quadio want list but I would probably buy them just to hear what they sound like in their fully glory as recordings & productions, ex and the quad mixes.
Wonderful post albeit a little depressing too! I am sure that for a lot of us it does cross our minds that we are looking at a finite amount of quad mixes that were produced and released in the early and mid-70's that will be available for a QUADIO reissue for the reasons already stated above. I was lucky to have grown up in an era where it was NOT unusual for radio stations to play multiple genres (does anyone remember "Earth Radio") as well as shopping for records in record stores that played multiple genres over their in-store stereo systems. Additionally, I was also able to work in a record store (The Record Factory, Wherehouse Records & Tapes and Spirit Records) throughout the entirety (5 and 1/2 years) of my college/university experience. That exposure and having parents who were also into music and encouraged my musical interests, solidified my like/love of multiple genres and playback options including Quad. As a lover and collector of music, it has been a long, LONG time since I have enjoyed the anticipation and finally consumption of music such that I have been having with Rhino's QUADIO series. It has been able to both take me back AND move me forward in my love for music/music playback and for that I am very grateful.

...ALL bass will be in the 4.0 channels unless your AVR is doing something with the bass management.

I'm sure most of you have a digital source that will allow this in some capacity if needed (route low frequencies to a sub). It may be a bit unnatural...but it's an option. I still have have a pure analog 5.1 setup so signal goes direct-to-channel with no digital involvement whatsoever. The only 10101011 component in my system is the Oppo 205 for playback--with definite full- range speakers in the front and semi-full range speakers (but still large) for the surrounds which are about 60° angled behind me. That setup works great for these... when the mix is a good one!

If you are looking for great bass performance and a killer Quadio title, I suggest War - The World is a Ghetto. Loved it back in the day and have played it countless times since picking it up.

Yes I didn't mention that specifically but that is number one on my list now. I forgot how great The Cisco Kid was & I have never heard that amazing 13 minute song. That is going to be a definite.

Once the new batch comes out and people start giving quality scores, I'm going to choose FIVE from the five batches. Four for the $79 but then it's free shipping for $100....so at about $12 shipping you're halfway there to one more title!

Yes I didn't mention that specifically but that is number one on my list now. I forgot how great The Cisco Kid was & I have never heard that amazing 13 minute song. That is going to be a definite.

Once the new batch comes out and people start giving quality scores, I'm going to choose FIVE from the five batches. Four for the $79 but then it's free shipping for $100....so at about $12 shipping you're halfway there to one more title!
I think you will be paying $24.98 per Quadio (from Rhino); i think the 4 Quadio bundle price ($79.98) is for each set that has been released, not mix and match.

I think it used to say this on the main page but now it says in each individual title. Not sure how long this or $100 free shipping is going to last...maybe FR can shed some light there? Are both of these a limited time offer?
Screenshot_20240724_175557_Chrome.jpg

I think it used to say this on the main page but now it says in each individual title. Not sure how long this or $100 free shipping is going to last...maybe FR can shed some light there? Are both of these a limited time offer?
View attachment 107924
Oh! Nice! Any 4 Quadios for $79.98–that's a GREAT deal! Are you interested in Atmos? I think a new batch of Atmos releases is coming out in August.

View attachment 107924
I've always bought in the first day or so and got the bundle price, not sure when it vanishes (the discount just about covers the shipping to the UK so worth it). May be you can add 4 into your basket and you automatically get the four-bundle discount?

Back