Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume there was no quad version of the only GCS release I really liked—My Radio Sure Sounds Good To Me. I think that came out around 1978 which would mean no.

I’ll probably end up getting Bread and Bette which is more than I got the last batch.

GCS is a tougher sell having no real pop hits on it.
In a capitalist society, the market may determine the winners of revenue wars, but the gems of the quadios are not determined by what they sold 50 years ago.
Rather their long-term influence and timeless staying power.

Factual history records:
  • Number 9 Soul single
  • Number 20 Soul album
  • Nuber 49 Pop Single
  • Number 48 Pop album
1721950255294.png

Mr. Graham's bona fides have been proved across six decades as an originator of funk bass guitar with Sly & the Family Stone.

In 1968 Larry joined Sly and the Family Stone. Their first album “A Whole New Thing” provided a way for people all over the country to hear Larry’s unique bass playing.
Their next album had a number of hit singles such as "Dance to the Music" and "Everybody Is a Star," both of which allowed his voice as well as his thumping & plucking bass style to be heard around the globe.
In 1993 Larry was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Sly and the Family Stone.
In the early70s, Larry left Sly and the Family Stone and started to produce a band named Hot Chocolate, which he eventually joined and renamed it Graham Central Station...
The first album released in early 1974 was named Graham Central Station and included the hit "Can You Handle It."

Few who appreciated Sly's well regarded quad would pass up a chance to hear a pristine 1974 recording of his bassist writing & playing in his unique evolving style, with guest Freddie Stone on guitar.

1721948067660.png

Saw Graham Central Station & Chaka Khan open for The Artist Formerly (& Subsequently) Known As Prince in 1997 on the Jam Of The Year World Tour.
Suffice it to say they held their own with the Purple One.

1721946866029.png

I am amazed and grateful Graham Central Station's eponymous debut made the cut for this batch of quadio, the one I'm most excited for, along with Sir Duke Edward Kennedy Ellington.

...Different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby-dooby-doobie :smokin
Ooh, sha-sha
We got to live together...
🍏☮️

Last edited:
In a capitalist society, the market may determine the winners of revenue wars, but the gems of the quadios are not determined by what they sold 50 years ago.
Rather their long-term influence and timeless staying power.

Factual history records:
  • Number 9 Soul single
  • Number 20 Soul album
  • Nuber 49 Pop Single
  • Number 48 Pop album
View attachment 107962

Mr. Graham's bona fides have been proved across six decades as an originator of funk bass guitar with Sly & the Family Stone.

In 1968 Larry joined Sly and the Family Stone. Their first album “A Whole New Thing” provided a way for people all over the country to hear Larry’s unique bass playing.
Their next album had a number of hit singles such as "Dance to the Music" and "Everybody Is a Star," both of which allowed his voice as well as his thumping & plucking bass style to be heard around the globe.
In 1993 Larry was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Sly and the Family Stone.
In the early70s, Larry left Sly and the Family Stone and started to produce a band named Hot Chocolate, which he eventually joined and renamed it Graham Central Station...
The first album released in early 1974 was named Graham Central Station and included the hit "Can You Handle It."

Few who appreciated Sly's well regarded quad would pass up a chance to hear a pristine 1974 recording of his bassist writing & playing in his unique evolving style, with guest Freddie Stone on guitar.

View attachment 107960

Saw Graham Central Station & Chaka Khan open for The Artist Formerly (& Subsequently) Known As Prince in 1997 on the Jam Of The Year World Tour.
Suffice it to say they held their own with the Purple One.

View attachment 107955

I am amazed and grateful Graham Central Station's eponymous debut made the cut for this batch of quadio, the one I'm most excited for, along with Sir Duke Edward Kennedy Ellington.

...Different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby-dooby-doobie :smokin
Ooh, sha-sha
We got to live together...
🍏☮️

Yes very much a situation like David Gates and vs his previous group Bread. Indeed.

In anticipation of the Quadio, I pulled out Barry Manilow's Sweet Life book to review his writings about The Divine Miss M. Barry had worked on the arrangements for the songs, but when Joel Dorn was chosen to produce, most of Barry's work was pushed aside. Dorn had produced the early Roberta Flack albums,, which, as Manilow says, were pristine, tasteful and perfectly produced. He also said those attributes would not produce a representative and stellar album for Midler. When Bette played the recordings for Barry, it was tasteful and perfect...but lacked the fun and excitement of Bette's shows. Apparently, Ahmet Ertegun was not happy with the album, either. So, despite having no experience as a producer, Manilow convinced Ertegun to allow him to produce some additional tracks. (He and Ertegun produced the sessions together). So, he decided Bette needed to sing to an audience; thus, he brought in twenty of her friends and had her sing live with the band. They recorded "Chapel Of Love", "Leader Of The Pack", 'Friends", "Daytime Hustler", "Superstar" and "Delta Dawn". The album combined five Dorn produced songs with the six Manilow/Ertegun tracks. (She did demo the Eagles "Saturday Night" during the sessions, but it was not released until the expanded set in 2016).

Last edited:
There was politics injected into the muscial commentary, if I recall? :unsure:
Not really. My comment about me being able to separate my own politics/feelings from my appreciation of music was not a political comment per se. It was just a comment about me.

However, if notified, I would have gladly deleted that portion of my post.

Doug

Not really. My comment about me being able to separate my own politics/feelings from my appreciation of music was not a political comment per se. It was just a comment about me.

Doug
In that case it sounds like it would have been the replies your generic comment spawned. I have no idea because I don't think I saw any of them.
Better to err on the side of eliminating politics than to let it slide. I'm not sure it was on this site, but I know there have been occasions where I only responded with a heavy political opinion to force the moderators to remove them all. Or let it spiral out of control.

Doug
Try again, then?
Free do-overs, no harm, no foul if you were not messaged and warned by a mod?

Love is the answer, you know that, for sure. 🍏 ☮️

Back