Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I didn't mention that specifically but that is number one on my list now. I forgot how great The Cisco Kid was & I have never heard that amazing 13 minute song. That is going to be a definite.

Once the new batch comes out and people start giving quality scores, I'm going to choose FIVE from the five batches. Four for the $79 but then it's free shipping for $100....so at about $12 shipping you're halfway there to one more title!
There are five KILLER picks no problem (Sabbath, AWB, War, Mingus, Gordon Lightfoot). But at some point one at least needs "Court and Spark" from the Joni box set. So I'd plan on that one later, maybe next time, next $100 order.

Are you interested in Atmos? i think a new batch of Atmos releases is coming out in August

Dont even get me started on that can of worms :). Remember I said I had a "pure" analog system...direct to channel... so that means I'm stuck at 5.1 channels--but using some of the best Mch amps and preamps ever made in doing so. I know I won't be able to match that quality with a "mid-fi" Denon or Marantz product loaded with a bunch of channels. A processor using my existing amps is a possibility (and I can still get a lot of $$ for my preamp especially), but thats an expensive proposition for a good Anthem model for instance. And then I've got two powerful 5ch amps tagging off of that...

This is definitely my opinion on the matter...but my current thought; Frequently the Atmos fold-down to 5.1 is less than mind blowing I've found--at least through my Oppo 205. At the moment I'd much rather listen to my multitude of 5.1-based material I've collected over 25 years (that is custom-designed for 5.1 mind you) as opposed to Atmos music titles--especially the neutered streaming Atmos versions.

My system, which happens to be in a rather lively (block walls and wood floors) but very symmetrical 11x14' room, can easily discern the difference between disc based and streaming-based material. Therefore, not only do I not want to turn my living room into a speaker warehouse, but listening to high rate MP3 resolution files over 9+ channels (streaming version anyway which is 90% of what's out there) doesn't really appeal to me.

And let's face it: I've yet to hear anything (Atmos) in my system that surpasses Beck's Sea Change, Big Phat Band XXL, or the totally underappreciated Aaron Neville Devotion and Believe DVD-A albums. With two high- end 10" L/R low freq drivers and two more of the same tens in the hidden subwoofer alone in a room that size...jaws literally drop when I play the superb sounding classic opener "Morning has Broken" off Devotion. If you haven't heard these "spiritual" discs with reference recordings, they're available on Amazon still for very reasonable price and they're worth every penny. The legendary old Silverline releases literally ranged in quality from 0 to 100 and believe me these (and Big Phat Band) are at the 100 section of that scale.

All that said however, I'm still going to monitor what the releases are going to be in August :). After all, my current setup is not going to last forever....

Are you interested in Atmos? i think a new batch of Atmos releases is coming out in August

Dont even get me started on that can of worms :). Remember I said I had a "pure" analog system...direct to channel... so that means I'm stuck at 5.1 channels--but using some of the best Mch amps and preamps ever made in doing so. I know I won't be able to match that quality with a "mid-fi" Denon or Marantz product loaded with a bunch of channels. A processor using my existing amps is a possibility (and I can still get a lot of $$ for my preamp especially), but thats an expensive proposition for a good Anthem model for instance. And then I've got two powerful 5ch amps tagging off of that...

This is definitely my opinion on the matter...but my current thought; Frequently the Atmos fold-down to 5.1 is less than mind blowing I've found--at least through my Oppo 205. At the moment I'd much rather listen to my multitude of 5.1-based material I've collected over 25 years (that is custom-designed for 5.1 mind you) as opposed to Atmos music titles--especially the neutered streaming Atmos versions.

My system, which happens to be in a rather lively (block walls and wood floors) but very symmetrical 11x14' room, can easily discern the difference between disc based and streaming-based material. Therefore, not only do I not want to turn my living room into a speaker warehouse, but listening to high rate MP3 resolution files over 9+ channels (streaming version anyway which is 90% of what's out there) doesn't really appeal to me.

And let's face it: I've yet to hear anything (Atmos) in my system that surpasses Beck's Sea Change or the totally underappreciated Aaron Neville Devotion and Believe DVD-A albums. With two high- end 10" L/R low freq drivers and two more of the same tens in the hidden subwoofer alone in a room that size...jaws literally drop when I play the superb sounding classic opener "Morning has Broken" off Devotion. If you haven't heard these "spiritual" discs with reference recordings, they're available on Amazon still for very reasonable price and they're worth every penny.

All that said however, I'm still going to monitor what the releases are going to be in August :). After all, my current setup is not going to last forever....
LOVE those Neville DVD-As! Just played Devotion this morning! Couldn't agree MORE! Now i'm going to CRANK Sea Change! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

...ALL bass will be in the 4.0 channels unless your AVR is doing something with the bass management.

I'm sure most of you have a digital source that will allow this in some capacity if needed (route low frequencies to a sub). It may be a bit unnatural...but it's an option. I still have have a pure analog 5.1 setup so signal goes direct-to-channel with no digital involvement whatsoever. The only 10101011 component in my system is the Oppo 205 for playback--with definite full- range speakers in the front and semi-full range speakers (but still large) for the surrounds which are about 60° angled behind me. That setup works great for these... when the mix is a good one!
Have you considered getting an analog bass manager such as the Outlaw ICBM-1? Here's one.

I personally will be looking forward to next batch of Rhino Atmos mixes. Still will probably buy the Quadio's 4-fer though.
I've been beyond 5.1 for several years as far as system capability, but I still enjoy my Quad and 5.1. As far as listening to Atmos as 5.1...well that never crossed my mind. But whatever works for people is good. I let the main AVR do the decoding and heavy lifting on the base channels and pre out the 4 overheads to another amp. Works for me.

Have you considered getting an analog bass manager such as the Outlaw ICBM-1?

I definitely know that device (how can you forget that model number) and I did back in the day...but I already have seemingly miles of analog cable and I felt my mains go low enough. Very early I utilized "Still" from ELP's BSS DVD-A which is only 5.0 to check this and they definitely did not disappoint with that potent bass section. I did get the also-coveted Zektor MAS7.1 back in the day (not needed now with my multi-input preamp).and now a Schiit Syn recently (yet to hook up) to analog surround-enhance 2ch material.

From original specs literature of my main drivers: Cabinet Speakers utilize three basic drivers: a Peerless 1-inch silk-dome tweeter, a Seas 5-inch composite midrange, and a proprietary 10-inch composite woofer. Alone, even though they are completely sealed, they can hit the 28Hz mark at a 3dB down rating. l'll add: Timeless top-line Danish drivers internally and they look really cool too in beautiful wood grain (stock pic).

The matching sub I added later is rather remarkable using similar drivers, but as you can see in the picture it's also literally built into a table and getting to the controls is nearly impossible without literally flipping it over... so I have no easy way to hook in another feed to it other than the one from my preamp.

Admittedly, the equally-classic AR Phantom 8.3's aren't nearly as bass-savvy, but they also look really slick as mounted at a perfect ear level (I even got the listening sofa based on how it would interact when reclined with the level that surrounds were at)...and they blend remarkably well timbre-wise with the fronts. They're also very unique with the top-ocated magnet to keep them nicely slim...and a really beautiful carbon fiber woofer material (as you can see in the picture). Yes, Acoustic Research hasn't always just made accessories like tape head cleaners :).

I did a lot of meticulous work back in the day to get things perfect and it was very worth it. Even now--nearly a hard to believe 25 years later--I have no complaints with properly mixed 4.0 through 5.1 material with this setup :)

501hpino.1 (1).jpg
spk-term-lores.jpg
rear_spk_long_lores.jpg
rear_spk_close2_lores.jpg
SSW_NC_newc.jpg

Attachments

• rear_spk_close2_lores.jpg
    rear_spk_close2_lores.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 0
LOVE those Neville DVD-As! Just played Devotion this morning! Couldn't agree MORE!

More incentive to look into these: neither are available on any quality streaming service for some reason. I've only found them in disc (Superior DVD-A) format. Both recordings are absolutely sublime, although I prefer the older Devotion because Believe is slightly on the "tubby bass" side in comparison. And Devotion has some classic remakes like Morning has Broken, Bridge Over troubled Waters...and even Let It Be. The DVD- Audio is also a completely different track listing than the other releases for some odd reason.

Also not available on any streaming service... the Spinners Quadio. For some reason that 1973 album is completely skipped. A big reason why I'm considering it to be one of the selection...I know it sounds great with some classic tunes & I'm sure that channel issue has been long fixed.

Last edited:
This bundle is a tough one for me. Was never "into" Bread, in fact to me, Baby I'm a Want You was always cringy in its day.

I will do Bette, absolutely the Duke (love jazz), and maybe Graham. So half for sure; I have to decide on the other 2.

If I don't do the bundle, the one I'd drop would be Bread. I've sampled all the songs on the album from Qobuz, and on the fence. I don't find their music compelling, Graham and Bread would be the bread in a Duke-Bette sandwich. I could always skip Baby when it starts.

I hope we get JT Gorilla soon - "Mexico" the song is great and great in quad) and there's always the 2nd Gordo album, Cold on the Shoulder, to be done. That album may not be Sundown but it still has excellent beautiful songs and is also excellent in quad. Both are winners.

Have the Eagles quads been ruled out for sure by Henley or other surviving members? The 2 albums are killer.

Last edited:
I wasn’t familiar with Graham Central Station, so I checked them out on YT.

I’ll pass on that one. The other three are instant purchases for me, and I’ll check to see if I can build it up to $100.

I wasn’t familiar with Graham Central Station, so I checked them out on YT.

I’ll pass on that one. The other three are instant purchases for me, and I’ll check to see if I can build it up to $100.
Larry Graham really came into prominence and gained notoriety for a fight he famously had with Sly Stone that resulted in him being jettisoned from the group. That set the stage and paved the way for Graham Central Station and this album which is kind-of cut from the same cloth as Sly & The Family Stone. It may not be to your liking (which is absolutely A-okay) but there is a bit of rock & roll history behind the release to justify its existence and why it got a quad mix back in the day. Larry Graham went on to have a giant solo pop hit with "One In A Million You." It was a wedding song staple for a number of years.

Hmmm....

Did a sampling listen again of both Graham Central and Bread on Qobuz. On the Bread album, I like only 2 songs. On GCS I don't really like any of the songs. I know Larry Graham came from Sly & Family Stone. But I have the quad Sly Greatest Hits LP and it's much better listening to my ears.

I've been faithful to collecting all these bundles but I "think" I'm going to pass on 2 of these. No sense spending money on something I'm never going to listen to as much as I'd like to buy 100% of the Quadio releases.

Next time, let's see what's up. I will be buying Divine Miss M and The Duke.

Speaking of the song named Mexico by JT, there's also Mexico on Souther-Hillman-Furay album. Same name, totally different song and also excellent and also was a CD-4 LP.

And this album, Trouble in Paradise, is in Rhino's stable so (hint-hint) can be a Quadio. It'd be a very good title to go along with another Seals & Crofts or JT.

getting to the controls is nearly impossible without literally flipping it over... so I have no easy way to hook in another feed to it other than the one from my preamp.
The ICBM-1 goes between the oppo and the preamp. No need to get to the back of the sub.

I would agree that Bette Midler and Duke Ellington are the two absolute essentials here. I hope the Duke does as well as the Gil Evans and Mingus likely did. Ellington is such a major heavyweight in jazz.

For Bread I still adore their hit songs. And the quad mixes do freshen them up quite a bit, and then the fidelity of the Blu-Ray will prop it up a notch more.

GCS is a tougher sell having no real pop hits on it.

Back