Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laura Nyro's Eli & The Thirteenth Confession is a stone classic. Perhaps it is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is an important album in the history of pop music. Laura may not have had big hits as a singer, but that album had several songs she wrote that were hits for others--"Eli's Coming", "Stone Soul Picnic", "Sweet Blindness". I listened to the AF disc this morning and am very thankful it was released.
Eli's been comin' so long he better bring his zimmer frame, poor mite! 😋 what a lovely fun Quad mix that is/was and just a stupendous album!!! 💘

we'll need a table big enough for Jebus' Last Supper, its already been confirmed "Late For The Sky" is not coming to Quadio Blu-ray anytime soon.

the Quad mix of Bette Midler's "The Divine Miss M." is for me a true Surround showcase, one of the most active and immersive WEA Quad mixes, remixed for Quadradisc by Tom Dowd no less and a mix used numerous times back in the day to demonstrate what Quad was all about. i hope beyond hope Rhino can make it happen on Quadio BD someday 🙏
Indeed, the "Miss M" album (in quad) is to pop/vocal what Average White Band is to r&b/funk in quad. One of those special quad mixes everyone simply must hear.

Last edited:
Eli's been comin' so long he better bring his zimmer frame, poor mite! 😋 what a lovely fun Quad mix that is/was and just a stupendous album!!! 💘

Supposedly, there are other Laura Nyro titles that were prepared. I've seen a few articles in magazines that even mention which titles. I've noted them on my spreadsheet, but have no idea if they were actually done or not.

I just broke down and spent $500 on a mint set. Worth every penny.

Came to about $40 a disc.

Given what others are charging for individual albums, I consider it a steal …

… and also won’t be shopping for a VERY long time!

No need to diss someone else's preferences. It's a given that for every fan of Bette Midler (or Jackson Browne, or whoever else you'd care to name), there's gonna be a hater. And it's not a zero-sum game: we've already seen that the Quadio table is big enough to accommodate a wide range of tastes. Giving a seat to one person's favorite artist won't rob a seat from someone else's.

As for a poll: it might be fun for us--and it might keep bickering about musical taste out of this thread--but would it tell @ForagingRhino anything he didn't already know? Pretty sure he's monitoring the "Future Quadio Releases?" thread.
Lighten up Francis.
No one is dissing anyone's taste.
Just personally would rather see anything released other than Bette Midler.
I would assume the Bette Midler will get released at some point and many of us on QQ will likely buy it. I will. It's a spectacular sounding Quad, and the fidelity is supreme. Those that don't like the material shouldn't buy it.
Thanks for the mini lecture and no don't worry I wouldn't even dream of buying it.
Just as there is a vocal cadre on here for certain things in a certain circle.
There are others just as willing to advocate for what they want.That's life

Lighten up Francis.
No one is dissing anyone's taste.
Just personally would rather see anything released other than Bette Midler.

Thanks for the mini lecture and no don't worry I wouldn't even dream of buying it.
Just as there is a vocal cadre on here for certain things in a certain circle.
There are others just as willing to advocate for what they want.That's life
It wasn't a mini lecture, I was simply responding (indirectly) to a post that asked "does anyone really want to buy this".

Speaking of quad in general: Hot damn, so many great mixes in quad. Not just interesting instrumental and vocal placement, and not just impressive channel separation which we all value when it's well done. The sound quality on so many of these masters really just shines on a high-resolution disc.

Indeed, the "Miss M" album (in quad) is to pop/vocal what Average White Band is to r&b/funk in quad. One of those special quad mixes everyone simply must hear.
I would bet that, just like the Roberta Flack, I personally would be blown away by it. Just like Killing Me Softly, which I've heard hundreds of not thousands of times, the Quadio was like listening to the song for the first time. I really didn't think an album of "soft hits" would rock my socks off, but it did. I'd bet money Bette would do the same for me. Clarity and, if I remember correctly from my now defunct quad 8 track, some pretty stunning 4-channel mixes. Plus, she had three pretty big hits from that album. She even won a Grammy that year for best new artist.

With Melissa Manchester doing some backing vocals and Barry Manilow co producing and playing piano on it, it might be the only album we'd hear anything from the two of them in quad, too. (Thank you former Arista. 😥)

I would bet that, just like the Roberta Flack, I personally would be blown away by it. Just like Killing Me Softly, which I've heard hundreds of not thousands of times, the Quadio was like listening to the song for the first time. I really didn't think an album of "soft hits" would rock my socks off, but it did. I'd bet money Bette would do the same for me. Clarity and, if I remember correctly from my now defunct quad 8 track, some pretty stunning 4-channel mixes. Plus, she had three pretty big hits from that album. She even won a Grammy that year for best new artist.

With Melissa Manchester doing some backing vocals and Barry Manilow co producing and playing piano on it, it might be the only album we'd hear anything from the two of them in quad, too. (Thank you former Arista. 😥)
Absolutely correct. One does not need to be a fan of her well known campy stage act, her acting career, or even the big hit on this album in particular. This album is paced with ballads, girl group sounds, upbeat jazzy tunes, the swing styled hit, etc. This is the thing, the pacing, one puts this on to check out a couple of tunes and you don't want to take it off. I think it's engaging beginning to end. Then the quad takes it up a full notch. I'm into rock, blues, country, and R&B really, yet it hooked me. It's too good of a quad mix to not eventually come out.

the Quad tapes for Melissa's "Better Days And Happy Endings" at least are seemingly safe since the lovely ol' Quad's streaming on Apple Music in Dolby Audio, so hopefully all is not lost on the Arista front.. 🤞 but then "i'm a sucker for happy endings" after all 😅😂

Absolutely correct. One does not need to be a fan of her well known campy stage act, her acting career, or even the big hit on this album in particular. This album is paced with ballads, girl group sounds, upbeat jazzy tunes, the swing styled hit, etc. This is the thing, the pacing, one puts this on to check out a couple of tunes and you don't want to take it off. I think it's engaging beginning to end. Then the quad takes it up a full notch. I'm into rock, blues, country, and R&B really, yet it hooked me. It's too good of a quad mix to not eventually come out.
i'm sure you'll agree with me, just like with the Sony Japan and DV SACDs, nobody should feel strongarmed into buying any of the Rhino Quadio releases "just because.." it's Quad 🙂

as we know, "The Divine Miss M." is one of the landmark Quad mixes that Atlantic used to demonstrate and show off Surround Sound back in the day but i totally understand if the artist/album is a turn off for some Quaddies and these are very different times, it's certainly not 1972 anymore and what was once maybe fairly "hip" might now be more "hip operation"! 👍

meanwhile there's still plenty of Quads the likes of Rhino, DV, Sony Japan etc can release so it's not as if a potential Bette Midler release would be blocking another Quad from a different artist or genre or anything like that 😋

the Quad tapes for Melissa's "Better Days And Happy Endings" at least are seemingly safe since the lovely ol' Quad's streaming on Apple Music in Dolby Audio, so hopefully all is not lost on the Arista front.. 🤞 but then "i'm a sucker for happy endings" after all 😅😂
Thanks for this I hadn’t realised it was on 🍎 so added to my list now!

Thanks for this I hadn’t realised it was on 🍎 so added to my list now!
yeay!! 🤩🙌🥳

you're very welcome! 🤗😋

i so wish the other MM Quad was there also, as well as the other Arista Quads, especially The Brecker Brothers & The Outlaws but they may be AWOL as has been surmised for a fair few years 🤷🏻‍♀️

I've always been a fan of Laura's unique voice. Other than maybe 3 songs on this release though (which I liked), that was the extent of my familiarity with it. Thanks to it being on YT, I checked out the other cuts, found a sensibly priced copy of the Audio Fidelity MCH SACD, and bought it. Of course, said purchase was after I did my due diligence by reading the review of the AF disc on, wait for it...the Quadraphonic Quad forum!

Well the heavy rock pickings in the quad era are pretty slim on the ground for Rhino.
Really not much to pick from that's a legacy quad mix ready to go.

No I agree, not too many rock titles left to surprise us , but you just never know if a 'new quad mix' of a superb album from them late 60's oor1970's just might magically appear. There are a fair number of missed quad opportunities , Such as Killer , or Deep Purple In Rock , or Burn , Fireball , or Black Sabbath, or heaven forbid....Led Zeppelin 1 , 2, 3 , 4 !!!

Meanwhile I'm hoping for a jewel of an album in ;
Jackson Browne's Late For The Sky.
And we have a Foghat-Energized yet to come.
Or better yet a, Rod Stewart album with Atlantic Crossing !

And there's always hope for both multi quad artists in a quad box set scenario with James Taylor and Carly Simon.

i'm sure you'll agree with me, just like with the Sony Japan and DV SACDs, nobody should feel strongarmed into buying any of the Rhino Quadio releases "just because.." it's Quad 🙂

as we know, "The Divine Miss M." is one of the landmark Quad mixes that Atlantic used to demonstrate and show off Surround Sound back in the day but i totally understand if the artist/album is a turn off for some Quaddies and these are very different times, it's certainly not 1972 anymore and what was once maybe fairly "hip" might now be more "hip operation"! 👍

meanwhile there's still plenty of Quads the likes of Rhino, DV, Sony Japan etc can release so it's not as if a potential Bette Midler release would be blocking another Quad from a different artist or genre or anything like that 😋

I have never heard the album in quad, so these comments make me really hope for it. Many great songs are on the record (John Prine's "Hello In There", "Friends", "Do You Want To Dance", and my favorite version of "Superstar").

Last edited:
Ok, so what are the top "wish" picks now for Aug.?

I have never heard the album in quad, so these comments make me really hope for it. Many great songs on the record (John Prine's "Hello In There", "Friends", "Do You Want To Dance", and my favorite version of "Superstar").
Good - so then you have an idea what to expect as an entire album. Sound quality is breathtaking. Tom Dowd’s mixes can end up on the murky side imo. But this one is like Joni Mitchell’s Court and Spark in the crystal clarity dept.

I listened to the CD-4 LP captured to CD-R for many years. Quad folded to stereo, and never got tired of it. I actually did all of my quad LPs to CD-Rs long ago and some are still my preferred way to listen to a given album. Using ClickRepair was software was godsend.

Last edited:
It always kind of blew my mind that some of the tippy-top acts of the 1970's.... had NO Quad releases.

The Who
The Rolling Stones
Led Zepplin
The Beatles (They could have easily done Let it Be and Abbey Road - both still relatively current albums in 1973-1974)
Elton John
Lynyrd Skynyrd

Or the few acts that were huge and only had ONE Quad:

Neil Diamond
John Denver
Waylon Jennings

But I guess in the case of the acts contracted with MCA, while they might have had some experimental Quad stuff tinkered with or maybe even fully prepared.... the odds of those tapes existing today; and the acts or estates willing to sign off on them are slim to none.

The other notion that boggles me somewhat is with Atlantic Records. They had eight-track dating back to 1957 or 1958. Tom Dowd not only loved stereo but did some pretty cool Quad mixes too. But why didn't they delve into their back catalog? Ray Charles, Bobby Darin....

Back