Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm sure you'll agree with me, just like with the Sony Japan and DV SACDs, nobody should feel strongarmed into buying any of the Rhino Quadio releases "just because.." it's Quad šŸ™‚

as we know, "The Divine Miss M." is one of the landmark Quad mixes that Atlantic used to demonstrate and show off Surround Sound back in the day but i totally understand if the artist/album is a turn off for some Quaddies and these are very different times, it's certainly not 1972 anymore and what was once maybe fairly "hip" might now be more "hip operation"! šŸ‘

meanwhile there's still plenty of Quads the likes of Rhino, DV, Sony Japan etc can release so it's not as if a potential Bette Midler release would be blocking another Quad from a different artist or genre or anything like that šŸ˜‹

Absolutely correct. One does not need to be a fan of her well known campy stage act, her acting career, or even the big hit on this album in particular. This album is paced with ballads, girl group sounds, upbeat jazzy tunes, the swing styled hit, etc. This is the thing, the pacing, one puts this on to check out a couple of tunes and you don't want to take it off. I think it's engaging beginning to end. Then the quad takes it up a full notch. I'm into rock, blues, country, and R&B really, yet it hooked me. It's too good of a quad mix to not eventually come out.
I have never heard the album in quad, so these comments make me really hope for it. Many great songs are on the record (John Prine's "Hello In There", "Friends", "Do You Want To Dance", and my favorite version of "Superstar").

Last edited:
Ok, so what are the top "wish" picks now for Aug.?

I have never heard the album in quad, so these comments make me really hope for it. Many great songs on the record (John Prine's "Hello In There", "Friends", "Do You Want To Dance", and my favorite version of "Superstar").
Good - so then you have an idea what to expect as an entire album. Sound quality is breathtaking. Tom Dowdā€™s mixes can end up on the murky side imo. But this one is like Joni Mitchellā€™s Court and Spark in the crystal clarity dept.

I listened to the CD-4 LP captured to CD-R for many years. Quad folded to stereo, and never got tired of it. I actually did all of my quad LPs to CD-Rs long ago and some are still my preferred way to listen to a given album. Using ClickRepair was software was godsend.

Last edited:
It always kind of blew my mind that some of the tippy-top acts of the 1970's.... had NO Quad releases.

The Who
The Rolling Stones
Led Zepplin
The Beatles (They could have easily done Let it Be and Abbey Road - both still relatively current albums in 1973-1974)
Elton John
Lynyrd Skynyrd

Or the few acts that were huge and only had ONE Quad:

Neil Diamond
John Denver
Waylon Jennings

But I guess in the case of the acts contracted with MCA, while they might have had some experimental Quad stuff tinkered with or maybe even fully prepared.... the odds of those tapes existing today; and the acts or estates willing to sign off on them are slim to none.

The other notion that boggles me somewhat is with Atlantic Records. They had eight-track dating back to 1957 or 1958. Tom Dowd not only loved stereo but did some pretty cool Quad mixes too. But why didn't they delve into their back catalog? Ray Charles, Bobby Darin....

Clues so far of the upcoming four quads, slated to be released in early August:
Another diverse assortment of not-previously reissued Quads!
One Elektra (our first!)
Two Atlantics
One Warner Bros.
There's a jazz title in there.

And here's the Quadrophonic LP list, for those who wanna cross reference this stuff: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/WB.htm

(Keep in mind that some releases aren't under the Rhino umbrella due to label ownership changes.)

Clues so far of the upcoming four quads, slated to be released in early August:

And here's the Quadrophonic LP list, for those who wanna cross reference this stuff: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/WB.htm

(Keep in mind that some releases aren't under the Rhino umbrella due to label ownership changes.)
Those clues are as vague as it gets. But the one clue that seems most likely it that the jazz title is from Atlantic.

Would they reissue ā€œPush Pushā€ with the sexy cover? That is a jazz album but was not exactly on Atlantic.

And none of these have been previously reissued on a silver disc. So no Best of Bread, no Strombringer.

Weā€™re a ways out yet. Itā€™s fine. Iā€™m still absorbing Joni and Purple.

Weā€™re a ways out yet. Itā€™s fine. Iā€™m still absorbing Joni and Purple.
Yeah, I mainly wanted to compile stuff for anyone that wanted it. Plus, for people who aren't super intimate with these threads, they can at least get a glance at what might be on offer.

I'm quite happy with what I have right now, so I'm not especially interested in the horse race of figuring out these upcoming releases.

I have never heard the album in quad, so these comments make me really hope for it. Many great songs on the record (John Prine's "Hello In There", "Friends", "Do You Want To Dance", and my favorite version of "Superstar").
i wouldn't normally recommend this as i just have too much respect for a good album's original running order but if/when "The Divine Miss M." appears on Quadio Blu, i'd advise folks before they then go on to playing the album in its entirety, to immediately skip to "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", jump in the sweet spot, crank it up and prepare to be amazed! šŸ¤ÆšŸ¤©

i've been using that track for over 10 years to demo Surround to people and it never fails to elicit at the very least a laugh and a smile and in the case of one guest a shriek as it all happened around (and around) them!! šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜šŸ˜‚

And there's always hope for both multi quad artists in a quad box set scenario with James Taylor and Carly Simon.
I really hope you mean separate box sets for each. I highly doubt any artist who has an ex spouse would allow their material to be bundled together years later, even if they might be friends now. (I have no idea what their relationship is in 2024.)

Plus, if you like one and are not too fond of the other, you'd be forced to pay for a double artist box set.

i'm sure you'll agree with me, just like with the Sony Japan and DV SACDs, nobody should feel strongarmed into buying any of the Rhino Quadio releases "just because.." it's Quad šŸ™‚
Nobody can be strong armed into buying any quad release. I'm passing on lots of current things coming out. The latest Billy Joel Japan 7" SACD I really had my sights on after reading the reviews on sound quality. Then I listened to the album in stereo again after many years, and only liked two songs. Two songs and a high-priced disc just did not cut it for me. So if and when it drops to a much lower price like some of these Billy Joel SACDs did then maybe. Trower is said to be too conservatively mixed, but the extended versions are reportedly great - used copy is what that says to me. I joked a while back saying that with the price of Quadio 4-bundles "I won't have to give up avocado toast!" I've liked every Quadio release thus far going back to the first two CTA and Aretha's Best which I think is surprising being that I'm pretty fussy about spending money.

Last edited:
I guess I have a very scientific and futuristic way of dealing with these quad releases. If I like one I get it and if I don't I don't buy it.
I agree and have been following that train of thought.....except when I like 3 of the 4 in the bundle. Then, I buy them all because you're really getting that 4th one for $5. It often helps on getting the free shipping deal. Then, I've sold them for $10. I make a little money and a quad person gets a deal! win-win.

as we know, "The Divine Miss M." is one of the landmark Quad mixes that Atlantic used to demonstrate and show off Surround Sound back in the day but i totally understand if the artist/album is a turn off for some Quaddies and these are very different times, it's certainly not 1972 anymore and what was once maybe fairly "hip" might now be more "hip operation"! šŸ‘

meanwhile there's still plenty of Quads the likes of Rhino, DV, Sony Japan etc can release so it's not as if a potential Bette Midler release would be blocking another Quad from a different artist or genre or anything like that šŸ˜‹
"hip operation", LMFAO, so true in my case, would love Miss M.

given Rhino miraculously got the likes of "Paranoid", Jefferson Starship, "Billion Dollar Babies", Roberta & Donny, the AWB, etc for the Quadio programme, while i've no info at all, it's just a hunch, it feels reasonably likely to me that the U.S. Quad mix of "Machine Head" was originally proposed as a standalone Quadio Blu-ray by Foraging Rhino and then some bean counter got wind of it's existence and thought "ah-ha! we'll just have that gem not re-released for 50 years for our upcoming Deluxe Edition to boost sales a bit..!!" šŸ‘€šŸ˜…

i've had to set aside any desire for "Late For The Sky" tbh since Foraging Rhino said it was sadly off the table šŸ˜­ but things change of course so hopefully it will appear one day. as for "The Divine Miss M." that would be dream come true Quadio fodder, just the out and out hoot of a mix on the 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy' going around and around and around (!) the room should be enough to sell it!! šŸ¤©šŸ˜‹
Why is "Late For The Sky" a no go, artist or label situation ?

"hip operation", LMFAO, so true in my case, would love Miss M.
it's my knobbly knees (my best friend says they resemble "Yorkshire Puddings" šŸ˜‚) holding up my corpulent frame that are crying out for a Bette Midler fiddler since i piled on the pounds during the lockdown saga but my hips would love a Miss M Quadio just as much for sure so i can gyrate to Betteā€™s Boogie Woogie - - wooo!!! šŸ˜‚šŸ¤ž

I really hope you mean separate box sets for each. I highly doubt any artist who has an ex spouse would allow their material to be bundled together years later, even if they might be friends now. (I have no idea what their relationship is in 2024.)

Plus, if you like one and are not too fond of the other, you'd be forced to pay for a double artist box set.

Yes of course , separates for James Taylor with 3 quad albums....
-One Man Dog , -Gorilla, and -In The Pocket...in a quad box set. Regardless if Carly appears as a guest artist on them.

Quad Box set #2;
Carly Simon with FIVE quad albums is rather a natural quad box set for Rhino.

BTW Steve says 2 on Atlantic and one is Jazz?? , I think all of the quad Atlantic albums left are Jazz to some or every extant.
But I've always thought that of all the Atlantic Quads.

Now, back on topic. My guesses are:
Bette Midler - The Devine Miss 'M'
Herbie Mann - Hold On, I'm Coming
David Gates - First
James Taylor - Gorilla

Any of the above would be absolutely welcomed additions to my library, but at this point, I'll buy every Quadio Blu-ray Rhino has the wherewith-all to release.

Last edited by a moderator:

o_O

Back