Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with our upcoming move to North New Salem MI, the fun has been discovering all the wildlife that exists at the new digs.
Our best surprise so far has been the flock of Indigo Buntings that are in our 'hood. Rare to see in our parts typically. Very striking bird
indigobunting.jpg

with our upcoming move to North New Salem MI, the fun has been discovering all the wildlife that exists at the new digs.
Our best surprise so far has been the flock of Indigo Buntings that are in our 'hood. Rare to see in our parts typically. Very striking bird
View attachment 108494
Sweet! I don't believe I've ever seen one in these parts. But we get a lot of transient birds in the fall and winter and I happily provide food for them and the hummers in the summer. The hummer scouts will come to the window where we hang the feeder and hover to let us know they have arrived every summer, and ready to be fed.
Year round we have our cardinals, and we have a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers that were here before me in '78 when we bought the land.
I wouldn't trade living in the country for a penthouse on Miami Beach.

we have a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers that were here before me in '78
I didn't know woodpeckers can live for over 46 years. Seems a stretch to me.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileated_woodpecker

The oldest known pileated woodpecker was 12 years and 11 months old.

I suspect you have a population of pileated woodpeckers and you're seeing different pairs over the years.

thank you Boonie. Happiness comes in all forms. I cant wait to be in the position to never ever hear Mrs Cbmmm3 say "turn that shit down"
Which was reason alone to build this A/V barn. Congratulations on your retirement, Ricky. This will give you time for regular meetings with Dan Campbell to explain how he can mitigate any game day screw ups.

I didn't know woodpeckers can live for over 46 years. Seems a stretch to me.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileated_woodpecker

The oldest known pileated woodpecker was 12 years and 11 months old.

I suspect you have a population of pileated woodpeckers and you're seeing different pairs over the years.
Yes, of course. I have a habit of referring to them as "my" Pileated's. There has been mating pairs here for many many years, probably due to a type of Red Oak we have here which reaches a point in growth then starts dying, becomes a nesting place for insects that the 'peckers love.

Yes, of course. I have a habit of referring to them as "my" Pileated's. There has been mating pairs here for many many years, probably due to a type of Red Oak we have here which reaches a point in growth then starts dying, becomes a nesting place for insects that the 'peckers love.
Man, we have "lots" of peckers in my yard. I don't often see them, but sure can hear them. Relentless. That blue indigo, we get those in the late spring every year, but they only last about 2 weeks then gone. Or at least, I don't see them anymore. Beautiful birds.

Seems like I remember coming home from school and watching Woody Woodpecker. Or was it called the Hanna-Barbera show? IDK.
Well now I listen to the Pileated Woodpecker show. I don't often see them, but I hear them often. Somehow I determined (right or wrong) that the male only calls out when he's flying.
There used to be another woodpecker called the Ivory Bill Woodpecker in our neck of the woods, more in the deep forest than near humans, but one hasn't been spotted locally for decades (in this region) that I know of.
Anyway they will not eat Ricky's barn build.

There used to be another woodpecker called the Ivory Bill Woodpecker in our neck of the woods, more in the deep forest than near humans, but one hasn't been spotted locally for decades (in this region) that I know of.
Sadly the wikipedia page about the Pileated Woodpecker says:

It is the largest confirmed extant woodpecker species in North America, with the possible exception of the ivory-billed woodpecker, which the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has proposed be reclassified as extinct.

Sadly the wikipedia page about the Pileated Woodpecker says:

It is the largest confirmed extant woodpecker species in North America, with the possible exception of the ivory-billed woodpecker, which the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has proposed be reclassified as extinct.
My take for years that at least in Florida, the Ivory Bill likes more remote, deep forest locations. Of which are being gobbled up daily by the developers.

sometimes big progress is measured by little things. Garage doors installed today !!! Painters will now start painting the exterior - and the garage doors !
And more progress - the freaking in wall subs that were on backorder will - FINALLY - get installed this Wed or Thurs. Drywallers will have to come back to close out the 2 open cavities Septic tank installation started today. Late last week we trenched and installed natural gas and water lines, Cabinets deliver late next week and Trim Carpentry starts the following week. Slow but sure.....
345barngaragedoors.jpg

sometimes big progress is measured by little things. Garage doors installed today !!! Painters will now start painting the exterior - and the garage doors !
And more progress - the freaking in wall subs that were on backorder will - FINALLY - get installed this Wed or Thurs. Drywallers will have to come back to close out the 2 open cavities Septic tank installation started today. Late last week we trenched and installed natural gas and water lines, Cabinets deliver late next week and Trim Carpentry starts the following week. Slow but sure.....
View attachment 108580
FINALLY, A PLACE TO PARK YOUR FERRARI AND LAMBORGHINI!

Back