SDE’s Surround Series - Your Fantasy Wishlist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ozric Tentacles would be nice. (Spirals in Hyperspace would be my first choice.) They’ve been mentioned already in this thread, but I was reminded of it again while listening to a song from the upcoming album.

I’m kind of surprised there hasn’t been a surround mix of an Ozric’s album, unless I missed something along the line. Or maybe the fire they suffered years ago took out the tapes.

Their music certainly lends itself to the format. I don’t know if they’re considered too niche to be worth the expense, but it feels like a missed opportunity.

I’m kind of surprised there hasn’t been a surround mix of an Ozric’s album, unless I missed something along the line. Or maybe the fire they suffered years ago took out the tapes.
First I've heard of a fire. Ed Wynne has been remastering the catalogue (again) over recent years for multi-album Earbook sets, so it seems likely the mixdown master tapes are still around, at least.

Mike Oldfield
Incantations (I know tapes seem to be lost, but this is fantasy, right?)
Amarok (for crying out loud, the fact that this doesn't exist yet it's a slap in the face of all that's good)

There was a quad mix created for Incarnations at the time, so why that wasn't included in the Deluxe Edition has always been a mystery... I would prefer that to any new mix which had MO at the controls given how bad the Crises (title track) remix was...

R E

First I've heard of a fire. Ed Wynne has been remastering the catalogue (again) over recent years for multi-album Earbook sets, so it seems likely the mixdown master tapes are still around, at least.
I had to go refresh my memory on what the fire affected:

That unfortunate incident took place in June 2012, when their home in Colorado was partly destroyed by wildfires that had ravaged the area for over a week. Archive material was destroyed, as was their studio and some instruments. Ed’s wife, Ozrics bass player Brandi, reveals: “Losing the whole studio and all your reference points… trying to work digitally was a nightmarish experience. We’ll never do digital again.”

https://www.loudersound.com/features/ozric-tentacles-phoenix-from-the-ashes
So hopefully you’re right... didn’t affect master tapes, just some of their archives. (And house and studio.)

There was a quad mix created for Incarnations at the time, so why that wasn't included in the Deluxe Edition has always been a mystery... I would prefer that to any new mix which had MO at the controls given how bad the Crises (title track) remix was...

R E
OMG!!! Are you sure? Like 100% sure about this quad mix of Incantations? Has it ever been published? Even back then, I mean.

I had to go refresh my memory on what the fire affected:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/ozric-tentacles-phoenix-from-the-ashes
So hopefully you’re right... didn’t affect master tapes, just some of their archives. (And house and studio.)

I've been an Ozrics fan for well over 30 years, I've spoken to Ed on numerous occasions about the possibility of 5.1 mixes, unfortunately according to him the multi's don't exist any more for a lot of it. I'm pretty sure a lot of the original analogue multi's for the older albums were damaged when their studio, 'The Mill' in Somerset got flooded, that was where Jurassic Shift was recorded so a long time ago. So, no 5.1 of Pungent Effulgent, Erpland, Jurassic Shift etc which is gutting as they would be amazing. There were tales of someone close to the band having multi's of a couple of Pungent tracks a few years back, not sure how true that was. You never know, something might turn up, I like to think (dream!) that they we're just so hammered during that period that they have just misplaced them somewhere! I'm sure the last few albums have digital multi-tracks available so they could probably be done, but that's probably about it, which is a crying shame.

I've been an Ozrics fan for well over 30 years, I've spoken to Ed on numerous occasions about the possibility of 5.1 mixes, unfortunately according to him the multi's don't exist any more for a lot of it. I'm pretty sure a lot of the original analogue multi's for the older albums were damaged when their studio, 'The Mill' in Somerset got flooded, that was where Jurassic Shift was recorded so a long time ago. So, no 5.1 of Pungent Effulgent, Erpland, Jurassic Shift etc which is gutting as they would be amazing. There were tales of someone close to the band having multi's of a couple of Pungent tracks a few years back, not sure how true that was. You never know, something might turn up, I like to think (dream!) that they we're just so hammered during that period that they have just misplaced them somewhere! I'm sure the last few albums have digital multi-tracks available so they could probably be done, but that's probably about it, which is a crying shame.
While Spirals... is probably my favorite Ozric album, I would have loved to have Jurassic Shift in surround, too.

Yeah, a shame overall. A band so geared for surround sound.

While Spirals... is probably my favorite Ozric album, I would have loved to have Jurassic Shift in surround, too.

Yeah, a shame overall. A band so geared for surround sound.
I'm optimistic about AI processing being advanced (and cheap) enough, in a few years, to be able to separate instruments and sounds easily.

A vote for Gamma 2 simply for Voyager if nothing else. Love that song!
We vote for that one too. Bought this record (later the cd) soon after it was released and heard Voyager on the radio. Love that song! Agree..as long as it has a good dts 5.1 version too:love:, we refuse to throw DTS under the bus! A beautiful song. RIP

Last edited:
Peter Murphy -
“Love Hysteria”and/or “Deep”.

Haircut 100 - “Pelican West”
Cascade and Deep by Peter Murphy would be killer SDE surround series releases! I was driving into Sacramento last night for dinner with a friend at dusk when "Cuts You Up" come on the Sirius channel that I was listening to and I immediately turned it up and drove to my destination with a big smile on my face...

Back