Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lg-signature-oled-t.jpg

Ever since televisions became huge flat surfaces, there's been an effort to try and make them look less awkward when not turned on. LG's Signature OLED T gets around this with a transparent 77-inch screen that's nearly invisible when turned off. When the Always-On-Display feature is turned on, photos and artwork seem to float in the air, while allowing for views of whatever happens to be behind the screen. It leverages LG's Zero Connect Box for wireless transmission of audio and video to the screen, enabling a wide variety of placement options, including in the middle of the room as a divider, with optional shelves on the sides to make it look more like furniture than a piece of tech. A simple button click raises the contrast screen, letting the set deliver outstanding 4K visuals helped along by its Alpha 11 AI processor. The TV is expected to be released later this year; pricing has yet to be announced.

This is a serious matter. I opened the basement door this morning and there was a slight smell of something electrical burning. I flew down the stairs. First thought: "My equipment!" But I hadn't left anything turned on. Anyway, I find this small LED bulb lying on the carpet. It had fried and liberated itself where it screws into the socket and fell from the fixture. Anyone ever see anything like this? I have to wonder now if these types of bulbs are dodgy. :unsure:

View attachment 98747

I'm following up on the LED bulb failure that I had mentioned last month. I contacted Philips Lighting. They took the matter very seriously. They emailed me four times and also phoned four times. They sent me a shipping label and had me return the failed bulb.

Their tech people examined the bad bulb and declared that it had failed-safe. (Well good, because nothing caught fire here.) They also sent me four replacement bulbs, one for the failed bulb and also to replace the remaining three in the fixture. Plus they refunded me for the failed bulb even though I no longer had the receipt. Cool.

Ok gang... start working these words into casual conversation, three times a day:
I know two of those words, "dollop" is fairly common in cooking, and "petrichor" because two Oz scientists figured out the chemical composition of the odour, but let's try all of them in one go:

Early that morning, I had poured my coffee, added a dollop of cream, and perambulated out to the garden to join the others for a kaffeeklatsch, where the pleasant smell of the coffee mingled with the petrichor odour from the previous night’s thunderpump. My olfactory pleasure was, however, short-lived as we found ourselves rudely interrupted by a rawgabbit - a guest from the previous night’s soirée - now twankling a guitar. I suggested, but only in a pawky way, that we throw the blatherskite into the pond, but to my surprise others readily agreed, and the curglaff was clear on his countenance as we promptly dispatched the pettifogger into the freezing water.

I know two of those words, "dollop" is fairly common in cooking, and "petrichor" because two Oz scientists figured out the chemical composition of the odour, but let's try all of them in one go:

Early that morning, I had poured my coffee, added a dollop of cream, and perambulated out to the garden to join the others for a kaffeeklatsch, where the pleasant smell of the coffee mingled with the petrichor odour from the previous night’s thunderpump. My olfactory pleasure was, however, short-lived as we found ourselves rudely interrupted by a rawgabbit - a guest from the previous night’s soirée - now twankling a guitar. I suggested, but only in a pawky way, that we throw the blatherskite into the pond, but to my surprise others readily agreed, and the curglaff was clear on his countenance as we promptly dispatched the pettifogger into the freezing water.
I humbly bow low & long to you sir.

at my dad's house this morning. picture does not show the real beauty and serenity. my dad - who was my hero - passed away unexpectedly on Christmas morning at the young age of 90. He was a United States Army Veteran, we had a full military honors burial yesterday

View attachment 100069
Somehow I missed this post. Ricky, I’m so sorry for your loss. We only get one Dad and it looks like you definitely hit the lottery. They don’t make ’em like that anymore.

Its made from the yeast extract after brewing beer! Very tangy, I can't live without it, don't like Vegemite though.

When I was a toddler the two things my mother could guarantee to get me to eat were Marmite and more bizarrely .......... Spinach! - but I don't have an anchor tattoo or smoke a pipe though :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 100156
Do you know why Popeye ate spinach to grow strong?

A government study in the 1930s came up with the result that spinach had about 10 times the iron that other vegetables had.

The government wanted people to eat more spinach as a result. They talked Elzie Segar, Popeye's cartoonist, into having Popeye eat spinach to gain super strength.

Oops! That 10 times the iron was due to a misplaced decimal point.

Do you know why Popeye ate spinach to grow strong?

A government study in the 1930s came up with the result that spinach had about 10 times the iron that other vegetables had.

The government wanted people to eat more spinach as a result. They talked Elzie Segar, Popeye's cartoonist, into having Popeye eat spinach to gain super strength.

Oops! That 10 times the iron was due to a misplaced decimal point.
Seems the misplaced decimal point theory was a myth (see here) and the guy who invented Popeye wanted him to eat spinach for its Vitamin A quantity instead:

"The cartoon character came to life in 1929, soon after demand for canned vegetables skyrocketed after WWI, so it was only fitting that Popeye would promote a safe and inexpensive health food in that era. However, the cartoon strip published by Segar on July 3, 1932, attributed Popeye’s strength to the Vitamin A content in spinach and not iron. Segar’s intention was to increase the health of children by increasing vitamin intake, not iron intake, from spinach." (see here)

Last edited:
Seems the misplaced decimal point theory was a myth (see here) and the guy who invented Popeye wanted him to eat spinach for its Vitamin A quantity instead:

"The cartoon character came to life in 1929, soon after demand for canned vegetables skyrocketed after WWI, so it was only fitting that Popeye would promote a safe and inexpensive health food in that era. However, the cartoon strip published by Segar on July 3, 1932, attributed Popeye’s strength to the Vitamin A content in spinach and not iron. Segar’s intention was to increase the health of children by increasing vitamin intake, not iron intake, from spinach." (see here)
I remember (barely) back in the late 50's/early 60's our local store had Popeye spinach with a picture of Popeye on the can. Tiny cans were 50 cents and larger ones were 1 dollar! I asked my Mom to buy me one and she said NO! lol. I mean I wasn't going to eat the stuff, I just wanted the can with the picture of Popeye.

Back