Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run into conflicts sometimes...when I mix a set of tracks in 5.1, and some have ample rear activity and some don't. When I mix, I try to place elements where they would feel most natural, which sometimes doesn't engage the rears as much as it should. I'm not trying to make the mix realistic, but rather, to make the mix have balance in the space. Sometimes I wonder if I should throw it all out and make everything have quad-style or crazy panning. But then again if everything had heavy rear usage all the time, it won't be that special when the rears are used, right? IDK, I'm just rambling.

I run into conflicts sometimes...when I mix a set of tracks in 5.1, and some have ample rear activity and some don't. When I mix, I try to place elements where they would feel most natural, which sometimes doesn't engage the rears as much as it should. I'm not trying to make the mix realistic, but rather, to make the mix have balance in the space. Sometimes I wonder if I should throw it all out and make everything have quad-style or crazy panning. But then again if everything had heavy rear usage all the time, it won't be that special when the rears are used, right? IDK, I'm just rambling.
If In doubt ask yourself: what would Enoch Light do?

I see ping pong mixes...

Not everything can be a ping pong mix! You certainly don't want a lone guitar or something circling the room, right? Or maybe you do...

My suggestion about Enoch Light was tongue in cheek. One of the earliest matrix formats was EV-4. With out any separation enhancement when decoding, Light made super bouncy mixes that still impressed anyway. He made quite a few recordings in other formats over time including CD-4, discrete tape, etc.

Music wise, in the early >mid-70's I was fully rooted in prog rock & Enoch Light's musical choices & arrangements were abhorrent to me. Old man's music. Of course now that I am an old man & look back on it with a different perspective. It sounds fantastic through the Surround Master & in smallish doses most enjoyable.

I see ping pong mixes...

Not everything can be a ping pong mix! You certainly don't want a lone guitar or something circling the room, right? Or maybe you do...
Sometimes you do!

The stereo board tape recording of the live solo Steve Howe acoustic track Clap on The Yes Album sounds proper with nearly nothing but faked reverb in the rest of the 12 channels and sits right next to the significant 12 channel wildness of the rest of the album. The recent Wilson 7.1.4 remix.

I’m the last guy to tell a creative artist what to do, unless it has to fit in a particular location in my home. So with that disclaimer, I’d just say give it as many tries as you dare (or can afford), and see what makes you happiest. Some of us may not agree 100% with what you did, but you already know “you can’t please everyone, so you got to please yourself.”

I’m the last guy to tell a creative artist what to do, unless it has to fit in a particular location in my home. So with that disclaimer, I’d just say give it as many tries as you dare (or can afford), and see what makes you happiest. Some of us may not agree 100% with what you did, but you already know “you can’t please everyone, so you got to please yourself.”
100%.

My new cup.
It would be real nice to get a Deluxe Edition Box Set of Eat A Peach and Brothers And Sisters.
IMG_5205.jpg

Well, I hit a set of two tracks. The first track I felt it was balanced by putting only reverb and effects in the rears. And an occasional vocal.
The other track has the drums appearing from a different corner of the room every measure. Synths all around. At 162 BPM. Aneurysm, anyone? Well, that's what felt natural. Like I was saying, it really depends on the track how discrete I feel it needs to be.

Well, I hit a set of two tracks. The first track I felt it was balanced by putting only reverb and effects in the rears. And an occasional vocal.
The other track has the drums appearing from a different corner of the room every measure. Synths all around. At 162 BPM. Aneurysm, anyone? Well, that's what felt natural. Like I was saying, it really depends on the track how discrete I feel it needs to be.
Go with the flow and don't overthink it. Come back to it the next day or two or more with a fresh look.

Go with the flow and don't overthink it. Come back to it the next day or two or more with a fresh look.
My philosophy (at least right now) for mixing is even weighting: the mix should feel like it's weighted at the center of the room, not excessively to the front or the rear, and that's what's really causing the rear speaker usage to fluctuate so much I think. Given my workload, I usually have no option but to mix over a couple of days! So, we'll see where we end up.
However when I balance the mix for the center of the room, I am rarely allowing elements to bleed into other channels unless it's really required for immersion. Most of the stuff is only in the rears or the fronts...

My philosophy (at least right now) for mixing is even weighting: the mix should feel like it's weighted at the center of the room, not excessively to the front or the rear, and that's what's really causing the rear speaker usage to fluctuate so much I think. Given my workload, I usually have no option but to mix over a couple of days! So, we'll see where we end up.
However when I balance the mix for the center of the room, I am rarely allowing elements to bleed into other channels unless it's really required for immersion. Most of the stuff is only in the rears or the fronts...
I started doing a few 5.1.2 mixes early last year and had intended to move beyond with more channels but life got in the way. I just never seem to find the time anymore, especially since Idalia trashed my place. But I hope to get back to it.
Point is I fully get being hard to find the time.

I heard this on Planet Rock (UK) this morning, the latest single from Robert Jon & The Wreck (great band Btw) "Ballad Of A Broken Hearted Man", more acoustic than some of their other tracks, but still with that southern USA rock vibe.

Back