Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK SW, clear those stars outta your eyes for a moment… 🌟 🌟
now, remember what movie you saw and how was the sound?

Ah, well, the movie was Puss and Boots: The final Wish.

Stop it. I see that snicker. Now my oldest granddaughter is 13, the youngest 9. And my wife thinks anything more exciting than Mary Poppins is simply too exciting. So that's how family decisions are made.

The very earliest movies I remember going to was Fantasia (no, not first run😝), Forbidden Planet & 7th Voyage of Sinbad. The screen was big, in color & the sound was loud. I totally fell for Ray Harryhausen's stop motion.

Since then retail cinema has had its ups and downs. Particularly bad spell was when the EPA put new rules on film processing chemistry, and film manufacturers had to find something to work with it. This was mid-70's & I'm surprised that the first Star Wars movie looked so good. By the time Back to the Future and The Terminator had come out much was improved.

But audio quality lacked and soon the home theater became retail cinema new competition, in a way plain 'ol TV couldn't. Staying at home for a movie became a very enjoyable alternative.

But THX certification had it's benefits and the switch to all digital high quality filming, editing & presentation was incredible. For most decent theaters today the audio video quality is simply stunning to me. One of the best sounding movies I've ever heard was the 2014 Ninja Turtle movie, presented in a Cinemark XD. The tonal balance & clarity was perfect, and yet some how the bass was deep & percussive it pounded you in the chest. No distortion or muddying the mid range, just power.

So this here Puss and Boots movie, being CG, looked & sounded magnificent. The story was better than I thought it would be and matinee tickets were only$5.25 each. So big fun at a cheap price.

Broadsword?
giphy.gif

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-gilmour-joins-pink-floyd/

Ah, well, the movie was Puss and Boots: The final Wish.

Stop it. I see that snicker. Now my oldest granddaughter is 13, the youngest 9. And my wife thinks anything more exciting than Mary Poppins is simply too exciting. So that's how family decisions are made.

The very earliest movies I remember going to was Fantasia (no, not first run😝), Forbidden Planet & 7th Voyage of Sinbad. The screen was big, in color & the sound was loud. I totally fell for Ray Harryhausen's stop motion.

Since then retail cinema has had its ups and downs. Particularly bad spell was when the EPA put new rules on film processing chemistry, and film manufacturers had to find something to work with it. This was mid-70's & I'm surprised that the first Star Wars movie looked so good. By the time Back to the Future and The Terminator had come out much was improved.

But audio quality lacked and soon the home theater became retail cinema new competition, in a way plain 'ol TV couldn't. Staying at home for a movie became a very enjoyable alternative.

But THX certification had it's benefits and the switch to all digital high quality filming, editing & presentation was incredible. For most decent theaters today the audio video quality is simply stunning to me. One of the best sounding movies I've ever heard was the 2014 Ninja Turtle movie, presented in a Cinemark XD. The tonal balance & clarity was perfect, and yet some how the bass was deep & percussive it pounded you in the chest. No distortion or muddying the mid range, just power.

So this here Puss and Boots movie, being CG, looked & sounded magnificent. The story was better than I thought it would be and matinee tickets were only$5.25 each. So big fun at a cheap price.
Forbidden planet . Wow that brings back memories. Most of the plot was beyond stupid, but I liked the premise of the alien technology. There were some "door slamming" excitements!
Man as worst enemy to same.

It was dark. There was a roadkill rabbit on the path and I couldn't see it.
Now this may not seem strange, but when Owl overheard Kangaroo whisper to no one in particular
"The hare has lost his spectacles," well, he began to wonder...

For without his spectacles he appeared completely helpless
Where were his spectacles? Could someone have stolen them?
Had he mislaid them? What was he to do?

Panasonic Quadraphonic Video Jukebox. Yup. Really.

Oh, my, the memories.

At one point in my sometimes wasted career, I was the project engineer for a product called “Video-dex,” which could find any point (precision about 1 second) on a video cassette (models for VHS, Beta and U-matic), and we were trying to market it as a video jukebox. I figure we lost anout $2,000,000 on it.

We bought a laser disc changer from (IIRC) Panasonic loaded with a bunch of the smaller Japanese karaoke discs. I still have about ten of those.

Oh, my, the memories.

At one point in my sometimes wasted career, I was the project engineer for a product called “Video-dex,” which could find any point (precision about 1 second) on a video cassette (models for VHS, Beta and U-matic), and we were trying to market it as a video jukebox. I figure we lost anout $2,000,000 on it.

We bought a laser disc changer from (IIRC) Panasonic loaded with a bunch of the smaller Japanese karaoke discs. I still have about ten of those.
You have given me considerable thought as to the pros & cons of LD vs Tape for a video jukebox. Both seem prone to high amounts of wonkiness out in the field.

I've had 3 LD players in my life & my Pioneer DVL-700 is still going albeit some groans & moans when starting up. My first LD player I purchased used from a co-worker. A Pioneer top loader, it wasn't 1st gen but old enough it had a gas tube laser in it. HV warnings plastered here & there. But I fell in love with the deep noise free blacks & crisp whites as soon as I saw the opening to Aliens. $50 later it was mine.

After using it a few weeks I noticed sometimes the pic would freeze & audio would mute. A delicate thump on the side got it going again.

Eventually I figured it was a sticky laser pick up assembly. Or something. Anyway elevating the left side encouraged the assembly to keep on trackin'. For this purpose I used a VHS video tape. A fine example of hybrid technology.

Last edited:
Back