Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether a master is brickwall-able or not depends on the mix. Some dynamic mixes brick very well, some don't. Some non-dynamic mixes brick poorly, some don't.

Do I even make sense?
You do. The answer always is, "It depends." Isn't it?

But the term 'brickwalled' has gotten such a negative connotation that it is always considered bad even if it sounds pretty good.

But the term 'brickwalled' has gotten such a negative connotation that it is always considered bad even if it sounds pretty good.
Yeah some brickwalls sound excellent. But my opinion is that brickwalling is never needed.

"Well what about music that heavily relies on distortion?"

In my own experiments you can achieve those exact effects without brickwalls.

Yeah some brickwalls sound excellent. But my opinion is that brickwalling is never needed.

"Well what about music that heavily relies on distortion?"

In my own experiments you can achieve those exact effects without brickwalls.
One of my friends used to complain because they removed some guitar distortion :whistle:

Advertising: a marked police car with its lights flashing
Bear/Smokey: police officer; refers to the fact that the Smokey Bear character created by the Ad Council wears a hat similar to those of many highway patrol officers.
Camera: police radar unit
City Kitty: local police officer
County Mounty: county sheriff or deputy
Evel Knievel: police officer on a motorcycle; named for the motorcycle stuntman.
Big D: Dallas
Derby City: Louisville, Kentucky
Mardi Gras: New Orleans
Mickey Mouse: Orlando, Florida
Windy City: Chicago
Alligator/Gator: large piece of blown-out tire on the road
Go-go Juice: gasoline or diesel fuel
Nap Trap: hotel or rest stop
Bulldog: Mack road tractor
Four-wheeler: any vehicle with only 2 axles; anything that isn’t an 18-wheeler/semi truck
Kiddie car: School bus
Pete/Peter Car: Peterbilt truck
Salt Shaker: snow plow
Shaky Town - Chicago

CB for me was just a cheap device to enable talking to my friends decades ago. Now everyone has a cell phone and I couldn't even imagine using a CB radio. But I can see circumstances where one might be useful. Why get a Ham license if something else fills your needs? I don't think that's lowbrow, it's just people going with what works for them.
Just sayin'.
Anyway I'm done. Not trying to start any arguments.
I shouldn’t have made quite the sweeping generalization I did anout CBers being rebels. The Citizens’ Band service had and has value. But I’ve seen (and heard) it abused more than it was used as intended.

Not everyone needs to talk to someone halfway around the world. Most folks have no use for Morse Code.

Advertising: a marked police car with its lights flashing
Bear/Smokey: police officer; refers to the fact that the Smokey Bear character created by the Ad Council wears a hat similar to those of many highway patrol officers.
Camera: police radar unit
City Kitty: local police officer
County Mounty: county sheriff or deputy
Evel Knievel: police officer on a motorcycle; named for the motorcycle stuntman.
Big D: Dallas
Derby City: Louisville, Kentucky
Mardi Gras: New Orleans
Mickey Mouse: Orlando, Florida
Windy City: Chicago
Alligator/Gator: large piece of blown-out tire on the road
Go-go Juice: gasoline or diesel fuel
Nap Trap: hotel or rest stop
Bulldog: Mack road tractor
Four-wheeler: any vehicle with only 2 axles; anything that isn’t an 18-wheeler/semi truck
Kiddie car: School bus
Pete/Peter Car: Peterbilt truck
Salt Shaker: snow plow
Bear in the air - Police helicopter
Choke-n-puke - truck stop or coffee shop

I think the term “brickwall” can apply to two different parameters. Originally, I believe it was a very steep (almost vertical, like a brick wall) low pass filter to prevent aliasing in CDs. An added meaning is dynamic compression or limiting, intended to louden all the quiet parts of the recording without distorting the already loud parts.

Those original low pass filters had some artifacts that a lot of people could hear, and it gave CDs a bad reputation right out of the gate. I believe they have improved to the point that most people can’t tell they are there.

Dynamic compression is probably the main tool in the “loudness wars” we hear in a lot of headbanger releases. I think it’s useful in noisy environments, but it rarely makes music more enjoyable, IMNSHO.

Dynamic compression is probably the main tool in the “loudness wars” we hear in a lot of headbanger releases. I think it’s useful in noisy environments, but it rarely makes music more enjoyable, IMNSHO.

I know what you mean. But I was playing around with some live vocals over a commercial instrumental track and I found that I needed a a good bit of compression to make the vocals sound right. The instrumental track was in no way overly compressed, but the 'as recorded' vocal simply had too much dynamic range. @Mr. Afternoon , would you like to chime in on this?

And now to do so we have Skype, What's App and the like.
Most of the modern communication methods depend on a remarkable infrastructure. Point-to-point radio can operate without any intervening connections. Anyone remember slow-scan TV? I could put a picture on a voice-grade channel, although it took several seconds to do so.

If the Internet went down (and some folks believe it’s quite fragile and hackable), we wouldn’t even have our old land-line phones any more in most places. Radio would be our only communications. Many ham clubs practice those scenarios.

If the Internet went down (and some folks believe it’s quite fragile and hackable), we wouldn’t even have our old land-line phones any more in most places. Radio would be our only communications. Many ham clubs practice those scenarios.

I do not know how I could handle the peace and quiet of such a scenario. (Well, as long as the grandkids weren't over because then it would be a nightmare! ) :ROFLMAO:

I know what you mean. But I was playing around with some live vocals over a commercial instrumental track and I found that I needed a a good bit of compression to make the vocals sound right. The instrumental track was in no way overly compressed, but the 'as recorded' vocal simply had too much dynamic range. @Mr. Afternoon , would you like to chime in on this?
In my eyes there's two types of dynamic control. One that tries to level things out without any clipping/artifacting, essentially acting as a gain control, and one that tries to maximize loudness or clip things or such. The former should be used on vocals.

Vocals are indeed too dynamic sometimes and need to be controlled.

Think about an all-star list of drummers who lived “in the pocket” and made history:
Charlie Watts
Ringo
Jeff Porcaro
Jim Keltner
Phil Rudd
Kenny Aronoff
W.S.Holland - the original Johnny Cash trio
Hal Blaine - Elvis, Beach Boys, Sinatra

Another slant on drummers is how many of the session guys played on your favorite records.
For example, this tidbit from that other forum we use~

Five with drummer Jim Gordon in 1974:

The Hues Corporation- “Rock The Boat”
Steely Dan- “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number”
Gordon Lightfoot- “Sundown”
John Denver- “Thank God I’m A Country Boy”
Frank Zappa- “Apostrophe’

He also was in Derek & the Dominoes, of course.
Saw him play with Zappa in '72 on the Petit Wazoo tour.

Wiki List:
During his career, Gordon played with a long list of musicians and record producers, including:

Back