Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my Lake Michigan matins
2C5B3313-82E2-4F82-8414-A34C08273D3B.jpeg

Last edited:
:(

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/31/entertainment/paul-reubens-dead/index.html
Paul Reubens, who found fame as the quirky man-child character Pee-wee Herman, has died, according to an announcement on his verified social media.

He was 70.

“Last night we said farewell to Paul Reubens, an iconic American actor, comedian, writer and producer whose beloved character Pee-wee Herman delighted generations of children and adults with his positivity, whimsy and belief in the importance of kindness,” the post reads. “Paul bravely and privately fought cancer for years with his trademark tenacity and wit. A gifted and prolific talent, he will forever live in the comedy pantheon and in our hearts as a treasured friend and man of remarkable character and generosity of spirit.”

:(

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/31/entertainment/paul-reubens-dead/index.html
Paul Reubens, who found fame as the quirky man-child character Pee-wee Herman, has died, according to an announcement on his verified social media.

He was 70.

“Last night we said farewell to Paul Reubens, an iconic American actor, comedian, writer and producer whose beloved character Pee-wee Herman delighted generations of children and adults with his positivity, whimsy and belief in the importance of kindness,” the post reads. “Paul bravely and privately fought cancer for years with his trademark tenacity and wit. A gifted and prolific talent, he will forever live in the comedy pantheon and in our hearts as a treasured friend and man of remarkable character and generosity of spirit.”
I always like the wacky & off beat stuff, so naturally I was drawn to his sense of humor. Saw his Big Adventure in a movie theater. Caught his TV occasionally if I wasn't too busy adulting.

I just re-watched S1 E1 of Pee Wee's Playhouse. I had forgotten the most excellent Martin Denny exotica opening. And the amount of stop motion used really surprised me. I guess I don't remember everything. And it didn't take but a few examples of that for me to suspect who was behind it... Yup. Nick Park. I didn't discover him until The Wrong Trousers. So it was fun seeing his style is about the same both then & now.

I always like the wacky & off beat stuff, so naturally I was drawn to his sense of humor. Saw his Big Adventure in a movie theater. Caught his TV occasionally if I wasn't too busy adulting.

I just re-watched S1 E1 of Pee Wee's Playhouse. I had forgotten the most excellent Martin Denny exotica opening. And the amount of stop motion used really surprised me. I guess I don't remember everything. And it didn't take but a few examples of that for me to suspect who was behind it... Yup. Nick Park. I didn't discover him until The Wrong Trousers. So it was fun seeing his style is about the same both then & now.

I will admit - I have the Playhouse DVD boxset................

The first time I remember seeing him was in "Cheech and Chong's Nice Dreams". He immediately made an unforgettable impression (along with the guy that acted like a rooster...LOL). If I recall he already had the gray suit and bow tie, and he either had a bag with money or cocaine in it (I think it was the latter). Several years later he showed up big time in popular culture marketed as a kids entertainer. Go figure.

Edit: Actually he was in both Nice Dreams and Next Movie.. So I think I combined the two memories into one. Funny how things in the late 70's and 80's end up that way... I wonder why?

Last edited:
Back