Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have any idea what these "cornheads" are used for? @GOS ? They certainly are nasty looking beasts. The model might make an interesting freight car load for my choo choos.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2959248188...9KEW2E&hash=item44e67e6382:g:G3gAAOSw~zJk~Nyb

View attachment 109151

As a Nebraska "Cornhusker," I've seen these all my life
They are attached to the front of a "combine" to harvest field corn.

There are different attachments for wheat or other grains, like GOS's soybeans.
The pointed ends align with the spaces between rows, the standing stalks are pulled into the gaps.

In 1900 corn was shucked by hand, the ears were thrown into a wagon, [where the term Cornhusker came from for University of Nebraska athletes] and the kernels were shelled by a mechanical device powered by horses.

The first mechanical corn picker was introduced in 1909, and by the 1920s one- and two-row pickers powered by tractor engines were becoming popular.
Massey-Harris brought the first self-propelled picker to the market in 1946, but the big breakthrough came in 1954, when a corn head attachment for combines became available, making it possible to shell corn in the field.
The increase in productivity was dramatic. In 1900 one person could shuck about 100 bushels a day.
By the end of the century, combines with eight-row heads could shuck and shell 100 bushels in less than 5 minutes!

Last edited:
Help needed please
I bought the standalone blu ray of The pineapple thief - Dissolution so that I could sell my artbook to save space (which is seriously limited)
My first choice player is a Panasonic DMP-UB900, the new disc wasn’t recognised so I tried it in my 2nd player, a Yamaha BD-A1040 and it played perfectly
Out of curiosity I tried the blu ray from my artbook and the exact same thing happened!!!
Obviously the discs are fine and my Panasonic has never refused a disc before, is it possible that a player can just take a dislike to a specific disc?
I wonder if the disc is formatted as BDROM rather than BDMV?

I wonder if the disc is formatted as BDROM rather than BDMV?
I don’t know, if I pop it in my blu ray drive attached to the laptop it doesn’t tell me, I have about 20 Kscope blu rays and have tried them all with the panasonic and they all work except this one, I wondered if it might be a specific company thing?

I don’t know, if I pop it in my blu ray drive attached to the laptop it doesn’t tell me, I have about 20 Kscope blu rays and have tried them all with the panasonic and they all work except this one, I wondered if it might be a specific company thing?
I have a couple of BDs which seem to be BD-ROM or report as that can't remember which! Could be to do with the Java (?) script on disc that forms the menus is not supported by your Panasonic, or the encryption isn't recognised.

Way back I had a Pioneer player which needed software updates or it wouldn't play certain DVD-As .

Help needed please
I bought the standalone blu ray of The pineapple thief - Dissolution so that I could sell my artbook to save space (which is seriously limited)
My first choice player is a Panasonic DMP-UB900, the new disc wasn’t recognised so I tried it in my 2nd player, a Yamaha BD-A1040 and it played perfectly
Out of curiosity I tried the blu ray from my artbook and the exact same thing happened!!!
Obviously the discs are fine and my Panasonic has never refused a disc before, is it possible that a player can just take a dislike to a specific disc?
I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT700EB (which I got in 2016) which is just connected to my TV - it failed to play the disc, just giving a blank black screen, if I hit any button like Play nothing happened. If I pushed Top Menu it said Reading.... and nothing happened. So some code I suspect is on the boot sector of the disc which should load the Menu but the Panasonic doesn't like it. The Pineapple Thief Dissolution BD plays on any of my other machines (Oppo/Sony/Yamaha).

Edit: In the manual for my machine it says under TroubleShooting

1726087597079.png

Last edited:
I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT700EB (which I got in 2016) which is just connected to my TV - it failed to play the disc, just giving a blank black screen, if I hit any button like Play nothing happened. If I pushed Top Menu it said Reading.... and nothing happened. So some code I suspect is on the boot sector of the disc which should load the Menu but the Panasonic doesn't like it. The Pineapple Thief Dissolution BD plays on any of my other machines (Oppo/Sony/Yamaha).

Edit: In the manual for my machine it says under TroubleShooting

View attachment 109183
Thanks Duncan, good to know i’m not going crazy

It's games like this that keep me hopeful regarding my prospects of bowling a 300 game
Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 10.19.47 AM.png

I grew lazy this summer and stopped shaving near the start of July. The last time i visited my daughter, she inquired as to when i would be shaving my beard. I told her i would shave when i bowled a perfect game. She suggested that i would, one day in the distant future, trip on my beard, break my neck, and she would need to order a separate coffin just for my facial hair! Love that girl!

Last edited:
It's games like this that keep me hopeful regarding my prospects of bowling a 300 game
View attachment 109198
I grew lazy this summer and stopped shaving near the start of July. The last time i visited my daughter, she inquired as to when i would be shaving my beard. I told her i would shave when i bowled a perfect game. She suggested that i would, one day in the distant future, trip on my beard, break my neck, and she would need to order a separate coffin just for my facial hair! Love that girl!

Whoaaaa Clement! I looked at your scores and immediately saw "296." Then I realized you actually bowled 'only' 250. Nice game!

This is for @Clement

Development of first shopping cart by Sylvan Goldman

He introduced the device on June 4, 1937, in the Humpty Dumpty supermarket chain in Oklahoma City, of which he was the owner. With the assistance of a mechanic named Fred Young, Goldman constructed the first shopping cart, basing his design on that of a wooden folding chair. They built it with a metal frame and added wheels and wire baskets. Another mechanic, Arthur Kosted, developed a method to mass-produce the carts by inventing an assembly line capable of forming and welding the wire. The cart was awarded patent number 2,196,914 on April 9, 1940 (Filing date: March 14, 1938), titled, "Folding Basket Carriage for Self-Service Stores". They advertised the invention as part of a new "No Basket Carrying Plan."

The invention did not catch on immediately. Men found them effeminate; women found them suggestive of a baby carriage. "I've pushed my last baby buggy," offended women informed him. After hiring several male and female models to push his new invention around his store and demonstrate their utility, as well as greeters to explain their use, his folding-style shopping carts became extremely popular and Goldman became a multimillionaire by collecting a royalty on every folding design shopping cart in the United States.

Sylvan Goldman also manufactured the more familiar and more modern "nesting cart" under a license granted by Telescope Carts, Inc.[8] In 1946, Orla Watson, co-founder of Telescope Carts, Inc. developed an innovative "nesting" shopping cart that did not require disassembly after each use as Goldman's designs did, and which allowed for the shopping carts to telescope, or "nest", by simply shoving the carts together.[8] Goldman patented his own "Nest-Kart" over a year later in 1948, so an interference investigation was ordered by Watson of Telescope Carts, Inc. for alleged patent infringement during the same time period.[8][9] In a compromise solution, Goldman agreed to relinquish his rights on his existing patent and agreed to pay the sum of $1 for counterfeit damages.[8] In return, Telescope Cart, Inc. agreed to an exclusive license granted to Goldman's company for the production of the telescoping, or "nesting", cart. The telescoping cart, based on the patent issued to Watson, forms the basis of the shopping cart designs used to the present, and all royalties for the new design were paid to Telescope Carts, Inc. until their patent expired.[8]

Other inventions​

[edit]
Other inventions by Goldman include the grocery sacker, the folding inter-office basket carrier, and the handy milk bottle rack. Goldman also invented the baggage cart.[7]

1726174056166.png

Clements grandfather going to the store before the advent of shopping carts. Did he get any vinyl records there?
This is pre surround master.......

This is for @Clement

Development of first shopping cart by Sylvan Goldman

He introduced the device on June 4, 1937, in the Humpty Dumpty supermarket chain in Oklahoma City, of which he was the owner. With the assistance of a mechanic named Fred Young, Goldman constructed the first shopping cart, basing his design on that of a wooden folding chair. They built it with a metal frame and added wheels and wire baskets. Another mechanic, Arthur Kosted, developed a method to mass-produce the carts by inventing an assembly line capable of forming and welding the wire. The cart was awarded patent number 2,196,914 on April 9, 1940 (Filing date: March 14, 1938), titled, "Folding Basket Carriage for Self-Service Stores". They advertised the invention as part of a new "No Basket Carrying Plan."

The invention did not catch on immediately. Men found them effeminate; women found them suggestive of a baby carriage. "I've pushed my last baby buggy," offended women informed him. After hiring several male and female models to push his new invention around his store and demonstrate their utility, as well as greeters to explain their use, his folding-style shopping carts became extremely popular and Goldman became a multimillionaire by collecting a royalty on every folding design shopping cart in the United States.

Sylvan Goldman also manufactured the more familiar and more modern "nesting cart" under a license granted by Telescope Carts, Inc.[8] In 1946, Orla Watson, co-founder of Telescope Carts, Inc. developed an innovative "nesting" shopping cart that did not require disassembly after each use as Goldman's designs did, and which allowed for the shopping carts to telescope, or "nest", by simply shoving the carts together.[8] Goldman patented his own "Nest-Kart" over a year later in 1948, so an interference investigation was ordered by Watson of Telescope Carts, Inc. for alleged patent infringement during the same time period.[8][9] In a compromise solution, Goldman agreed to relinquish his rights on his existing patent and agreed to pay the sum of $1 for counterfeit damages.[8] In return, Telescope Cart, Inc. agreed to an exclusive license granted to Goldman's company for the production of the telescoping, or "nesting", cart. The telescoping cart, based on the patent issued to Watson, forms the basis of the shopping cart designs used to the present, and all royalties for the new design were paid to Telescope Carts, Inc. until their patent expired.[8]

Other inventions​

[edit]
Other inventions by Goldman include the grocery sacker, the folding inter-office basket carrier, and the handy milk bottle rack. Goldman also invented the baggage cart.[7]

View attachment 109208

Clements grandfather going to the store before the advent of shopping carts. Did he get any vinyl records there?
This is pre surround master.......
Yes. Grandpa Clement bringing my father along to help carry a cache of 78 rpms, telling him to keep them hidden from my grandmother. Sadly, a neighborhood kid (Li'l Tommy Tattletale, seen in the far right of the photo) tagged along and told my grandmother about it. Grandpa Clement was kicked outta the crib and carried his stash of vinyl in a wheelbarrow (this was before the shopping cart became widely popular).

Last edited:
Like the title of Bertrand Russell's book, I have a predisposition towards idleness. So when I saw a YT video called "*NEW* 10 minute SIMPLER Sourdough (For Lazy People)", I summoned enough motivation to give it a go, and I can now say:
"Not only do I have an Oppo 205, but I bake my own bread, and brew my own beer":

IMG_4139.JPG

Like the title of Bertrand Russell's book, I have a predisposition towards idleness. So when I saw a YT video called "*NEW* 10 minute SIMPLER Sourdough (For Lazy People)", I summoned enough motivation to give it a go, and I can now say:
"Not only do I have an Oppo 205, but I bake my own bread, and brew my own beer":

View attachment 109211
How about a link. If it’s truly for lazy people then I might try.
No reading…right??? All directions are pictures…right???
🤪

I guess this is as good as a place, to ask.....Has anyone found a workaround going from HDMI to RCA cables?
Iam trying to hookup my SACD player to the Sansui? I've tried those Amazon converters with no audio passing thru....

I guess this is as good as a place, to ask.....Has anyone found a workaround going from HDMI to RCA cables?
Iam trying to hookup my SACD player to the Sansui? I've tried those Amazon converters with no audio passing thru....
HDMI is a digital transmission protocol with trigger happy copy protection. (Mutes audio/video first, asks questions... doesn't really ask questions.) Unbalanced analog inputs would need digital audio converted to analog with proper DACs.

A "converter box" for this might be a challenge to find. DACs aren't just cheap. The 'copy protection police' would want a word and so forth. The facsimile products on Amazon... Yeah.

That leads to advice to rip the rogue format on the computer and then just play it to your normal interface DACs. Not what you asked or wanted to hear but there might not be a good answer to your request.

You can get pro HDMI capture cards (Magewell) but that would be as expensive as a whole new audio interface and a lot of screwing around.

Back