Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually Monkey Wards anchored the first enclose mall in my hometown of Lakeland, I believe, although Sears was in a bigger one across the highway.
The very first strip mall in Lakeland was anchored by the 3rd Publix store on one end, and Touchton's Drugs on the other. Had the best damned hobby store I ever seen. I used to buy chemicals there for my little chemistry lab.

My Montgomery Wards lawn mower started on the first pull for it's 36th year in a row this spring! Bought in 88 and still running like a champ but it's bag wore out many years ago. But I moved this year and sold it for $25 since I'm not planning on any grass at the new place. Think I got my money's worth out of it.

Great memory jab! That mall had Woolworth and Kresge's was in a far different part of town called the Kansas City Plah-zuh, dahling. Both sold records, pets, and burgers.
Yeah Woolworths was in our first strip mall in Lakeland. Loved the store, and the soda fountain. Had many a cherry cola there. First Christmas present I bought my Mom was there on yard mowing money.
But, the checkout lady talked my Mom out of buying the Beatles first LP for me. Actually said, and I still remember, something to the effect of "do you want your children listening to this?" What a bitch.

Yeah Woolworths was in our first strip mall in Lakeland. Loved the store, and the soda fountain. Had many a cherry cola there. First Christmas present I bought my Mom was there on yard mowing money.
But, the checkout lady talked my Mom out of buying the Beatles first LP for me. Actually said, and I still remember, something to the effect of "do you want your children listening to this?" What a bitch.
And where is that check out lady today?

And where is that check out lady today?
I would think GOS is right. That was what, 1964? I didn't have any money at the time so picked it up and asked Mom to buy it until I could pay her back when I mowed someone's lawn again.
I mean I was a teenager, so it's not like I was some elementary school kid. Old busybody. lol.

Oh, hell, K-mart was a newcomer to me. I remember shopping at Kresge’s, which, I believe, was later converted to K-mart.
Wow, really? Maybe it's more of a midwest thing. Nearly all folks in the farming communities back in the early 70's were mostly broke. My family was no different. K-Mart was THE place to shop. Clothes, school supplies, all that.

Of course, once the later 70's arrived, Malls became the rage and I suppose K-Mart was already feeling the pinch once that happened.

Well I still miss the local Radio Shack. In later years when it was still open, it was more about TV's and vacuum cleaners. But they did maintain a little stock of electronic items.
About 30 miles away there was another Radio Shack that maintained a good stock of resistors, caps, wiring, connectors, solder and such. But they are of course gone as well.

Well I still miss the local Radio Shack. In later years when it was still open, it was more about TV's and vacuum cleaners. But they did maintain a little stock of electronic items.
About 30 miles away there was another Radio Shack that maintained a good stock of resistors, caps, wiring, connectors, solder and such. But they are of course gone as well.
As a teen, I LOVED Radio Shack. I mean, even in my little town back in the day...we had a pretty nice one. It was inside of an Ace Hardware store.

Wow, really? Maybe it's more of a midwest thing. Nearly all folks in the farming communities back in the early 70's were mostly broke. My family was no different. K-Mart was THE place to shop. Clothes, school supplies, all that.

Of course, once the later 70's arrived, Malls became the rage and I suppose K-Mart was already feeling the pinch once that happened.
Apparently, I’m much older than you. By the time the 70s rollled around, I was already on my own, out of the Army and mostly trying to get laid. The cool store for me at the time was Gemco.

Reactions: GOS
Back