Sony strikes deal to acquire Pink Floyd catalog in $400 million deal, say sources

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gilmour was essentially a session musician on The Final Cut (no creative input) and Mason was mostly just mixing it. It's lyrically interesting and well done, but musically pretty uninspiring to me. Leftover tracks from an album that was already bloated. And I will always consider it a Waters solo album.
To be fair the CD liner notes say it is written by Roger Waters and performed by Pink Floyd, there's no claim anyone but Waters had creative input.

Personally speaking The Final Cut is my favourite Floyd/Waters album and a 5.1 mix would be my absolute dream. I've never understood why so many people don't like it. For me it's a Tour de Force of songwriting genius and it's anti war to boot, apart from the bust up it caused, what's not to like.
It is what I think is the finest album of a rock band with orchestra ever made. It is so well recorded and the Holophonics elements in the mix are so well done that it sounds like it is a 5.1 mix. So in that way is almost needs no surround mix, four speakers will show off plenty of spaciousness. It was included in my very first batch of CDs bought in late 1984. It didn't cause a bust up, the band had been splintering for quite a while before, like years. Imo, it's the crowning masterpiece of the Waters era of the band. And over the decades it had racked up massive sales for the band, so sales wise it's also actually a success.

To be fair the CD liner notes say it is written by Roger Waters and performed by Pink Floyd, there's no claim anyone but Waters had creative input.
Gilmour's lead guitar solos are pretty spectacularly killer. I think he takes three of them.

Back