Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ego/Flintstone Boy - Elton John 45 picture sleeve
Highway 61 Revisited - Dylan mono LP
Best of Brewer & Shipley 2 LP
Throb - Gary Burton
The Birds & the Bees - Rowan & Martin promo 45
Coming Up (live & studio)/Lunch Box Odd Sox - Macca 45 picture sleeve

"You bet your sweet bippy", I've loved Rowan & Martin's Laugh In since I first saw it as a youngster, it was on post 9pm on the BBC2 if I remember correctly. Though it was years before I saw it in colour!

An internet search says first aired on BBC2 at 10:20pm on Sunday 1st June 1969!

Get ready for a shocker. I've never heard this band before. Heard of? Sure, heard...nope. Singer reminds me of Eddie Money. lol Sound great.

I was the same as you. For some reason, I had it in the back of my mind that he was some sort of third rate Springsteen clone. But then about ten years ago I had a part-time job at a local concert hall. He came to play and he put on an absolutely killer show. His band was exceptional.

Also, his pianist and bass player are in a great Elton John tribute band called the Early Elton Trio. They pay tribute to Elton's tours of '70/'71 when he was backed just by a bass player and drummer. I've seen them a couple of times and they do an amazing job recreating that era of Elton's career.

The Sound's killer debut from 1980
Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 8.29.39 PM.png
https://www.discogs.com/release/5147775-The-Sound-Jeopardy
https://www.allmusic.com/album/jeopardy-mw0000456946

Last edited:
Wow. What an album.

And really good for an early stereo mix? It all sounds great, none of this bass in 1 channel nonsense people were doing back then. I could even hear Mitch hitting the mic with his drumsticks during "manic depression".

And lets hear it for Mitch Mitchell: amazing drum parts that really propel the songs! It was nearly Aynsley Dunbar, wasn't it? Down to a coin toss or something?

Allright. Mono mix. Jimi even looks like he thinks the batman photo shoot is funky, lol

AYE_mono.jpg

Back