Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A wonderful response from Marshall Blonstein:

:cool: :banana: :sun :music

With Elliot Scheiner working with Audio Fidelity on Multichannel SACD reissues, I think there is some hope there. ELS has a track record and connections with the Steely Dan guys.

I've talked to Marshall about that one as a Multichannel SACD. As always, the question is whether it can get licensed from the record label and artists and the status of the master tapes.
We will see.

Well the downside is that so far it's only Warner or Sony affiliated albums that have been reissued by AF. Universal seems to be pretty standoffish so far.
However, I can't imagine Universal reissuing that title on HFPA, and I would MUCH rather have AF reissue it than Universal as a DVD-A after the Rick Wakeman releases…

Hope springs eternal! :)

Well the downside is that so far it's only Warner or Sony affiliated albums that have been reissued by AF. Universal seems to be pretty standoffish so far.
However, I can't imagine Universal reissuing that title on HFPA, and I would MUCH rather have AF reissue than Universal as a DVD-A after the Rick Wakeman releases...

Agreed. As we saw with the Joe Cocker SACD, Audio Fidelity will either do the Multichannel SACD tracks right - or not at all.

Who now owns the Vanguard label..... They had Quad titles from Buffy Saint Marie; Joan Armatrading; Jean Jaques Perry(moog); and a good selection of classical titles?

I actually have a Buffy S. Marie CD that uses the quad record sleeve... (North American Child)

However, I can't imagine Universal reissuing that title on HFPA, and I would MUCH rather have AF reissue it than Universal as a DVD-A after the Rick Wakeman releases…

Hope springs eternal! :)

Not necessarily.

Remember that Universal Music owns A&M Records and licensed the Joe Cocker album "With a Little Help from My Friends" to Audio Fidelity for SACD release. It would have been a Multichannel SACD if the 4.0 Quad Tapes were available. But it is coming on Hybrid Stereo SACD.

Not necessarily.

Remember that Universal Music owns A&M Records and licensed the Joe Cocker album "With a Little Help from My Friends" to Audio Fidelity for SACD release. It would have been a Multichannel SACD if the 4.0 Quad Tapes were available. But it is coming on Hybrid Stereo SACD.

Ok that makes sense. I still think Universal won't license 5.1 surround mixes to AF so they can use those as part of their HFPA series, but Quad might seem more likely.

Ok that makes sense. I still think Universal won't license 5.1 surround mixes to AF so they can use those as part of their HFPA series, but Quad might seem more likely.

That could be. Universal may want to save more recent titles for their Anniversary album series and other possibilities.

Who now owns the Vanguard label..... They had Quad titles from Buffy Saint Marie; Joan Armatrading; Jean Jaques Perry(moog); and a good selection of classical titles?

I actually have a Buffy S. Marie CD that uses the quad record sleeve... (North American Child)
And PDQ Bach, Joan Baez and Country Joe & The Fish. Did any PDQ Bach come out in quad. That would be extra funny.

Introducing The Eleventh House With Larry Coryell was on Vanguard iirc

Edit: Yep :)

Yep, The Wurst of PDQ Bach came out on Vanguard quad. A friend of mine has it and IIRC he said it has a good mix. Never heard it myself, though.

The WELK MUSIC GROUP owns VANGUARD (but one of the big 3 could now own them?)

Nice to see AF getting access to UMe at last.......via joe cocker and maybe hayward/lodge.
This bodes well for future quad sacd.

What Joan Armatrading was on Vanguard and/or in quad? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

The WELK MUSIC GROUP owns VANGUARD (but one of the big 3 could now own them?)

Nice to see AF getting access to UMe at last.......via joe cocker and maybe hayward/lodge.
This bodes well for future quad sacd.

And hopefully it'll result in Elliot's unreleased 5.1 of Pretzel Logic getting out there as well. It's unbelievable how long that's gone unreleased.

Yep, The Wurst of PDQ Bach came out on Vanguard quad. A friend of mine has it and IIRC he said it has a good mix. Never heard it myself, though.

Really? I imagine this title would have little or no mass appeal but I'd be first in line to hear a 4-channel Schleptet in E-flat major!

And hopefully it'll result in Elliot's unreleased 5.1 of Pretzel Logic getting out there as well. It's unbelievable how long that's gone unreleased.

Of all the unreleased multichannel mixes, this is the one that I most want to hear. Of course I'd prefer to hear the original LPCM mix rather than than an SACD transcoding, but I'll take what I can get. Given the quality of the rest of ES's Steely Dan and Don Fagen mixes, and the degree to which Pretzel Logic kicks ass, one can only assume that this mix is phenomenal. Why, oh, why can't they (whoever they are) do a Kickstarter. There are many of us (myself included) who would pay whatever it costs to make this happen.

Of all the unreleased multichannel mixes, this is the one that I most want to hear. Of course I'd prefer to hear the original LPCM mix rather than than an SACD transcoding, but I'll take what I can get. Given the quality of the rest of ES's Steely Dan and Don Fagen mixes, and the degree to which Pretzel Logic kicks ass, one can only assume that this mix is phenomenal. Why, oh, why can't they (whoever they are) do a Kickstarter. There are many of us (myself included) who would pay whatever it costs to make this happen.

If the 5.1 mix of that album is complete, then it would be an ideal candidate for Universal's HFPA series, but they need to get those unreleased Elton John mixes out there first! :)

Back