Tears for fears announcement - Songs for a Nervous Planet (live) SDE Blu-Ray with SW Atmos Mix Oct 25th, 2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3221.jpeg

Got mine’s today in the Netherlands

You lucky people in the UK!
Did anyone in continental Europe get a shipping notification?
I received mail on 21-Oct : shipment is on its way.

But no tracking info yet on the order page.

EDITED: Upsss, I didn't login. I've got Tracking number and it is already at Madrid, released from customs.

Last edited:
I received mail on 21-Oct : shipment is on its way.

But no tracking info yet on the order page.

EDITED: Upsss, I didn't login. I've got Tracking number and it is already at Madrid, released from customs.
That's weird, I've just sent a mail to SDE support, let's see what they say to me.
Thanks for letting me know, enjoy it during the weekend!
Edit: Anne from SDE already replied. They are still shipping the orders.
Maybe they are using reverse surname alphabetical order...

Last edited:
20241024_211653.jpg

Got mine today. Love the new tracks.
Superb mix from Steven Wilson as always. I wouldn't normally buy a live audio only blu ray but Steven has done a great job. Very immersive. Levels are spot on.
I haven't got an Atmos setup but on my humble system the 5.1 mix sounds great and a bit more 'meaty' than the folded down Atmos mix.
Great live music 👍🏻

That's weird, I've just sent a mail to SDE support, let's see what they say to me.
Thanks for letting me know, enjoy it during the weekend!
Edit: Anne from SDE already replied. They are still shipping the orders.
Maybe they are using reverse surname alphabetical order...
Paul on twitter as answer by somebody who ask the same question:
We have over 4k to ship so they may not all have gone yet.

Got mine today. Love the new tracks.
Superb mix from Steven Wilson as always. I wouldn't normally buy a live audio only blu ray but Steven has done a great job. Very immersive. Levels are spot on.
I haven't got an Atmos setup but on my humble system the 5.1 mix sounds great and a bit more 'meaty' than the folded down Atmos mix.
Great live music 👍🏻
I agree with the more "meaty" description. I don't have an Atmos setup either and I've listened to this both in the 5.1 and the "folded" Atmos mixes. With other mixers I often find that the folded Atmos is a little better than the dedicated 5.1, but with Steven Wilson mixes I think I have always (easily) preferred the 5.1. Having said that, with this Tears For Fears one, if I turn the volume up a lot (higher than I would usually play anything) then the Atmos improves and sounds more balanced. Does anyone more technically minded than me have an opinion on this?

This is a great mix though, whatever!

I agree with the more "meaty" description. I don't have an Atmos setup either and I've listened to this both in the 5.1 and the "folded" Atmos mixes. With other mixers I often find that the folded Atmos is a little better than the dedicated 5.1, but with Steven Wilson mixes I think I have always (easily) preferred the 5.1. Having said that, with this Tears For Fears one, if I turn the volume up a lot (higher than I would usually play anything) then the Atmos improves and sounds more balanced. Does anyone more technically minded than me have an opinion on this?

This is a great mix though, whatever!
I haven't done any study on this.

But I think:

- The Atmos speakers location use to have the Surrounds (from 5.1) at the sides, especially if you have 7.1 floor.
- The 5.1 speakers location may use to have the Surrounds more at the rear and/or more elevated.

Depending on the mixer criteria, if he thinks about those two points above, he may locate different content volume level on Surrounds 5.1 than in the sides/rears on Atmos. Specially not overloading the Sides in Atmos, that could mask the other channels due to the 'binaural' intrusion. It may also depend on how the mixer check the result on his studio speakers locations. With Steven Wilson's mixing experience from his previous 5.1 era, it could be natural that he makes very good 5.1 mixes, that sound good to him, apart from his Atmos mix.

It is true that many Atmos mixes use to have a lower volume level than the corresponding Stereo or 5.1. This could be due to the 'wrong' Dialnorm parameter, which we have talked about in other threads, or the mixer/mastering engineer intent to give more dynamics to the Atmos.

Just some thoughts.

Haven't listened to it yet but was reminded looking at the tracklist that I was in fact at the show in Vancouver last year. Mostly because I remembered them including "My Demons" and "Break the Man", probably the two weakest songs on the new album, but excluding "Master Plan" and "End of Night", two of their best tracks.

Interesting, "End of Night" is one of my least-liked tracks on TTP and "My Demons" is one of my favorites. But I agree it would have been great to hear "Master Plan" live.

Back