The All Jethro Tull Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the Aqualung box from Rarewaves…how will I know it is the “corrected” version before opening it?
Thanks in advance 😊
AFAIK there's only one version. Unless you're referring to the old box, which was an entirely different format.

Thick as a Brick is the one with two slightly different book versions, one from 2012 and one from 2022.

AFAIK there's only one version. Unless you're referring to the old box, which was an entirely different format.

Thick as a Brick is the one with two slightly different book versions, one from 2012 and one from 2022.
Actually Burning Shed’s listing clarified it:

The 40th Anniversary edition of Aqualung available in the 2CD/2DVD 'book set' format.

CD 1 contains the album mixed and mastered by Steven Wilson (the original 40th anniversary edition was mixed but not mastered by Steven).
CD 2 features additional 1970 and 1971 recordings (also mixed and mastered by SW).

The DVDs include SW 5.1 surround mixes, hi-res stereo mixes, the 1974 quad mix, and flat transfers of both Aqualung and the Life Is A Long Song EP (two of the EP's tracks haven't been available in this form previously).

Includes a comprehensive 80 page booklet.

Actually Burning Shed’s listing clarified it:

The 40th Anniversary edition of Aqualung available in the 2CD/2DVD 'book set' format.

CD 1 contains the album mixed and mastered by Steven Wilson (the original 40th anniversary edition was mixed but not mastered by Steven).
CD 2 features additional 1970 and 1971 recordings (also mixed and mastered by SW).

The DVDs include SW 5.1 surround mixes, hi-res stereo mixes, the 1974 quad mix, and flat transfers of both Aqualung and the Life Is A Long Song EP (two of the EP's tracks haven't been available in this form previously).

Includes a comprehensive 80 page booklet.
I'm sure someone here can clarify this. I finished listening to DVD1 from SFTW (country set 2017) album proper, checked out the additional recordings and then figured I'd listen to the quads. I was a bit surprised the quads concluded with The Whistler. The back cover clearly states just 4 quads included? Why?

I'm sure someone here can clarify this. I finished listening to DVD1 from SFTW (country set 2017) album proper, checked out the additional recordings and then figured I'd listen to the quads. I was a bit surprised the quads concluded with The Whistler. The back cover clearly states just 4 quads included? Why?
Not sure but I believe it would be that there were just a few quad test mixes done and that’s all that was ever done as this album came out in February 1977. I believe there was a few labels that were still doing quad up until late 1976. Chrysalis/EMI/Warner (not entirely sure who distributed the JT material at the time) may have been one of those.

Last edited:
I espied this package under the Christmas Tree this afternoon with my name on it. Wonder what is it?

package.jpg

Hint: Do you still remember December's foggy freeze?

:SB
:SG:LB

I espied this package under the Christmas Tree this afternoon with my name on it. Wonder what is it?

View attachment 99576

Hint: Do you still remember December's foggy freeze?

:SB
:SG:LB
Indeed it is the Steven Wilson mastered Aqualung set. Thanks to @JohnN , @sjcorne and others for the recommendation. And Mrs Surround for the gift!

Indeed it is the Steven Wilson mastered Aqualung set. Thanks to @JohnN , @sjcorne and others for the recommendation. And Mrs Surround for the gift!
Very cool. Of course, as recommendations go, it wasn’t a stretch. I’m sure that you’ll enjoy the heck out of it. As @Clement might say, Mrs. ar has you surrounded!

1000016623.jpg

I've been blissed out by this all day. CDs this afternoon and dvds this evening. First time hearing the quad mix.
I'm trying to get my head around Wondring Aloud Again, I know both parts of the song and I know the 2nd part is on LITP compilation, but I think I've heard the 1st part with different lyrics somewhere as well?

View attachment 99661

I've been blissed out by this all day. CDs this afternoon and dvds this evening. First time hearing the quad mix.
I'm trying to get my head around Wondring Aloud Again, I know both parts of the song and I know the 2nd part is on LITP compilation, but I think I've heard the 1st part with different lyrics somewhere as well?
Just wanna note the quad mix is released incorrectly. The back left channel is in the incorrect polarity, I believe.

Just arrived in the mail today Aqualung CD/DVD book version. It'll go nicely alongside with my Aqualung CD/DVD/BLU-RAY version.
I notice this book reissue is dated as 2016 rather than...
both 2016 , with reissue 2023 ? Minor thing, as it's really the music in Surround that really matters with this highly collectable wonder from Tull.

Ok now , I suppose I'll concentrate on obtaining the 5.1's of Zealot Gene and Rokflote.

My special request for The Tull Camp is to mix a 5.1 of Tull's Christmas album along with the next album in line , date wise , which might be.....
84's Under Wraps ?
20240111_155842.jpg

Back