The QQ pet & critters thread...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you insist. ;)
My aunt & uncle used to raise beautiful examples of mostly corn feed Angus in
NorthWestern Illinois like this. Don't see em like this down here in FL, mostly skinny
suckers that don't deserve to be butchered.
A lot of yummy steaks on the hoof with this big handsome guy. ;)
Thanks for the B-Day wishes.
bull-Black-Angus.jpg

View attachment 95594
Happy Trails! Did you take care of all 20 oz last night?

If you insist. ;)
My aunt & uncle used to raise beautiful examples of mostly corn feed Angus in
NorthWestern Illinois like this. Don't see em like this down here in FL, mostly skinny
suckers that don't deserve to be butchered.
A lot of yummy steaks on the hoof with this big handsome guy. ;)
Thanks for the B-Day wishes.
bull-Black-Angus.jpg

View attachment 95594
OK. You might not have seen them, but Angus and Brahman cattle, e.g., are raised in Florida. Florida has a long history with cattle, in fact it once was a free-range State. There were at one time cattle ranches that were composed of many thousands of acres and I'm pretty sure a few very large ones still exist, though beef production has declined somewhat over the years. For this year, depending on who's metrics you believe, Florida ranks between 9th and 13th in beef production as per number of cattle. I believe the general area around Lake Okeechobee probably accounts for a majority of the cattle, though certainly cattle are raised throughout the state in many rural areas, including my own County.
My family has been in Florida for 8 generations, BTW. On my Mother' side of the family, Irish and Scot, were mainly settled in Georgia in the 17th Century, my Fathers side, shipbuilders likely from France who first emigrated to the UK in the 1200's, landed in Virginia also in the 17th century, and some eventually migrated further South.

Since we've been talking Australia, here are some critter pics from our 2018 trip which included Tasmania:

Tasmanian Devil:

View attachment 95597

Feeding a kangaroo:

View attachment 95598

Pademelon (Wallaby):

View attachment 95599

Enormous old croc named 'Scarface'

View attachment 95600

Apparently, Scarface has been AWOL...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-11/missing-crocodile-scarface-daintree-river/102081444
Ah. So Tasmanian Devils do still exist, then? I watched a show some years ago where people were actually searching for them, believed possibly extinct at the time. Or I could be wrong and it was some other critter.

Ah. So Tasmanian Devils do still exist, then? I watched a show some years ago where people were actually searching for them, believed possibly extinct at the time. Or I could be wrong and it was some other critter.
When we were there in 2018, the Devils were in a serious trouble due to a disease running rampant through the species. I don't know where things stand as of today. @Petr Kropotkin would likely know.

When we were there in 2018, the Devils were in a serious trouble due to a disease running rampant through the species. I don't know where things stand as of today. @Petr Kropotkin would likely know.
Ah, the last I heard was they've managed to capture enough disease-free individuals and relocate them into special habitats (including on the mainland), to build up the population before eventually releasing them back. A recent story a few weeks ago said one sanctuary (which had been breeding them for a decade) had just seen its 500th joey (baby devil) born, so the population is on the up.

OK. You might not have seen them, but Angus and Brahman cattle, e.g., are raised in Florida. Florida has a long history with cattle, in fact it once was a free-range State.
I understand FL is/was a major beef production state in the US, it's just the visual condition of
the animals I've see. Like I said the ones I see being raised here in the Central FL area all seem to be of a anorexia nature.. I'll see if I can grab a few photos next time I go to my shooting range in the Lakeland area.

I understand FL is/was a major beef production state in the US, it's just the visual condition of
the animals I've see. Like I said the ones I see being raised here in the Central FL area all seem to be of a anorexia nature.. I'll see if I can grab a few photos next time I go to my shooting range in the Lakeland area.
I get it. Lakeland is my "home" town BTW, is where I lived until I moved up here.

Back