The QuadraphonicQuad Craft Beer/Microbrew thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a very nice pint of draft Branoc the other day, not strong at 3.8%, but thirst quenching, brewed a few miles up the road from me
1687206471903.png

https://www.branscombebrewery.co.uk/

Interesting approach to save money. Over here it is usually done by reducing the volume/amount/size in a sales unit. (have you seen a Hostess pastry these days?)
It would be easy enough to reduce ABV by lowing the gravity via less malt or using more water; more water being the easiest way to ensure uniformity and minimize the impact to flavour.

I often wonder what quality beer costs in Europe. By quality, I mean, smaller breweries who are considered micro-breweries. In the US, this market has literally exploded. I mean, they are everywhere, each brewing their own brew and sometimes growing their hops onsite.

Anyway, it's totally not unusual to pay $16 for a 4 pack of pints for micro-brews. Compared to the mass produced stuff, there really is no comparison. Very high quality, incredible flavor profiles, at times, pretty high in ABV.

Three Floyds Cocomungo at $22 a 4pk is the best value in the US; provided you like stouts.
These days I don't blink until it goes over $28 a 4 pk.
But, I like big beers and I do not lie ...

I often wonder what quality beer costs in Europe. By quality, I mean, smaller breweries who are considered micro-breweries. In the US, this market has literally exploded. I mean, they are everywhere, each brewing their own brew and sometimes growing their hops onsite.

Anyway, it's totally not unusual to pay $16 for a 4 pack of pints for micro-brews. Compared to the mass produced stuff, there really is no comparison. Very high quality, incredible flavor profiles, at times, pretty high in ABV.
The pint of Branoc from the very small Branscombe Brewery I had in one of the local pubs is £3.80 so about $4.85.

I normally pay £4.20 ($5.36) for a pint of Greene King IPA (ABV 3.6%) in my local pub. If you buy bottled Real Ale from the supermarkets its a lot cheaper, as no overheads of running a pub, and they use them as loss leaders. So, a 500ml/0.88 of a pint bottle of Greene King IPA costs £1.50/$1.92, quite a difference, but I'm a social drinker so I don't drink in the house. I go down to the pub if I want a drink, get chatting and drink more!

Yeah, I've even seen a few for $24, though I never broke down and tried them.
That’s getting too pricey IMO.
Up here most 4packs (473 or 500ml) are in the $14/16 range, some at $18.
And that’s Canadian dollars i.e. $10 to $14 USD so maybe we’re getting a deal, I should stop complaining about beer prices.

Last edited:
Back