The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting surprise for sure!

Release day of 17 February 2023, seems like a long time to wait for this one. Is there any chance a #7 would be announced and delivered before we got #6?

And for those folks ordering an Orbital - The Altogether 5.1; I believe it is PAL; with the only NTSC version from Japan, is that right?
It might matter to some folks here.

Interesting surprise for sure!

Release day of 17 February 2023, seems like a long time to wait for this one. Is there any chance a #7 would be announced and delivered before we got #6?

And for those folks ordering an Orbital - The Altogether 5.1; I believe it is PAL; with the only NTSC version from Japan, is that right?
It might matter to some folks here.
interestingly, the first/preview track "Dirty Rat" (not in Atmos) is now on Apple Music

I hear you; the only one I've bought was the Tears for Fears one and that one was actually quite good. I also kind of liked the xPropaganda one, although I've only heard it on streaming. I'm honestly not even sure what I would hope to see in this series. It seems like most major older artists have had no issues reissuing their classic albums, in surround or otherwise, through other labels. Brand new albums are always a mystery box, since you don't really know what to expect. There are a lot of more modern artists that I would love to see get some surround treatment (stuff from 2000 - present; seems like almost everything that gets redone is from the 60's - 90's). We'll see I guess!
One thing that I’d be really interested in (unless I missed it somewhere) is an interview with Paul to discuss (as much as he can) how he got this series off the ground and what goes into finding albums to release.

Are there commonalities in the roadblocks he runs into? Are there certain labels that seem really gung-ho? How far out has he got this series planned? How many releases are realistic for him in a year? Has he sworn off getting artist signatures in the future? (For the record, I couldn’t care less about a signed booklet.) And there’s probably a ton of other questions people here could come up with.

I assume (but could be completely wrong) that this is not a money-losing venture for him or the artist/label. Maybe it’s just break-even once all the costs are balanced out or how many are sold. But as long as there’s some money to be made, I’m not sure why any label would say no to this opportunity unless they were already planning to do it themselves with their internal team or simply hated the idea of a surround mix.

I find this whole thing fascinating and would love to learn more about how it works behind-the-scenes to whatever degree possible.

Last edited:
...... which was another reason I ordered, I might skip the guesting Sleaford Mods track though. I saw them at Beautiful Days a while back, well, I lasted less than one number, it wasn't just the musical drivel they churned out it was the pointless swearing as well! So, I'll listen once to that track and probably avoid from then on, along with Morris Dancer Troupes, The Proclaimers, and "Come On Eileen"! :LOL:
Agreed. This is one disc where I'm especially grateful for the instrumental mixes!

Paul, thank you for the SDE Surround Series. I just placed my order for Orbital and Eno is out for delivery today.

Since everyone is adding their requests, then I will add mine as well. In 2011, 4AD re-released a remastered box set of This Mortal Coil. There was supposed to be a Blu-ray high-definition version to follow, but that never came to be. Would be nice if any of the three albums - It'll End in Tears, Filigree & Shadow, and Blood was to receive the surround series treatment. This is a classic mid-to-late 80's dream-pop collaboration that would sound amazing in Dolby Atmos.
It'll End in Tears is a great album. But what I really want above all else is Dead Can Dance. Maybe that's obvious.

I think David Gilmour’s first album is next. Steven Wilson was tinkering with it on a post I saw recently and he knows Paul Sinclair too. Just a guess.
Gilmour has almost totally disowned his first two solo albums so wouldn’t expect anything ever on those. Pity. They are much better than his last two

Back