The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some comments from Paul re: the series from SDE.com:

As you will have undoubtedly seen, we launched #6 in the ongoing SDE Surround Series yesterday with Orbital’s ‘Optical Delusion’. Many thanks to those of you who have already pre-order this title!

One of the things that is important to me is that we release great music on these blu-rays. I’m not here to sell tins of beans! So in case you are wondering, I made a point of not only listening to the Orbital album, in full, before committing but I also to listened to the Atmos Mix which had already been created. I really liked the album, really liked Mark Ayres’ work on the Atmos Mix and very much appreciated the enthusiasm of London Records, who we partnered with for #5 (Shakespears Sister). I was particularly pleased to secure some great extras for this release including instrumental mixes, bonus tracks and the like. Let make the most of the format, where we can!

Speaking of which, perhaps surprisingly, Hormonally Yours has been the only reissue so far, but I think we will see more of a balance between reissues and new albums as we move into next year. There are some exciting things in the pipeline but even if I could mention them, it would be like the ‘commentator’s curse’, and it would probably all go wrong, so I’m afraid you’ll have to wait and see!

We’ve managed to announce six of these in 2022, which is a batting average of one every two months – not bad at all. Could we see #7 announced before this year is out? Quite possibly…

Thanks as always for your enthusiasm and support. Please do spread the word and if you haven’t got your pre-order in for Orbital, then the link to the SDE shop is here, or you can just use the buttons below!

This series will only continue if we sell enough copies of each release for it to ‘make a difference’ for all the parties involved, particularly of course the rights-holders (the record label). Bear that in mind if you’re ‘sitting on the fence’.

As you will have undoubtedly seen, we launched #6 in the ongoing SDE Surround Series yesterday with Orbital’s ‘Optical Delusion’. Many thanks to those of you who have already pre-order this title!

One of the things that is important to me is that we release great music on these blu-rays. I’m not here to sell tins of beans! So in case you are wondering, I made a point of not only listening to the Orbital album, in full, before committing but I also to listened to the Atmos Mix which had already been created. I really liked the album, really liked Mark Ayres’ work on the Atmos Mix and very much appreciated the enthusiasm of London Records, who we partnered with for #5 (Shakespears Sister). I was particularly pleased to secure some great extras for this release including instrumental mixes, bonus tracks and the like. Let make the most of the format, where we can!

Speaking of which, perhaps surprisingly, Hormonally Yours has been the only reissue so far, but I think we will see more of a balance between reissues and new albums as we move into next year. There are some exciting things in the pipeline but even if I could mention them, it would be like the ‘commentator’s curse’, and it would probably all go wrong, so I’m afraid you’ll have to wait and see!

We’ve managed to announce six of these in 2022, which is a batting average of one every two months – not bad at all. Could we see #7 announced before this year is out? Quite possibly…

Thanks as always for your enthusiasm and support. Please do spread the word and if you haven’t got your pre-order in for Orbital, then the link to the SDE shop is here, or you can just use the buttons below!

This series will only continue if we sell enough copies of each release for it to ‘make a difference’ for all the parties involved, particularly of course the rights-holders (the record label). Bear that in mind if you’re ‘sitting on the fence’.
The words Commentators Curse here makes me kinda want commentary tracks for Atmos mixes. Get the mix engineer in to record some remarks about each track! A thought for future releases!

Not my cuppa so passing on this one. I would however get it as part of a subscription if Paul could figure out a way to create one.

I'm in for them all Paul! Thanks for all of your efforts and fighting the good fight.

Thank you to those who thought of this and agreed to it. I love instrumental versions of vocal songs.

I would have loved that option (in Atmos) with the xPropaganda release as I prefer that version to the vocal version. (I did buy the digital deluxe version to get the instrumentals.) I was hoping that might have been an option when Paul was figuring out what to do with the second version of the TFF release.

I hope this is an option in as many future releases as possible.

And add me to the list of people who have never heard of this group before. Definitely ordering, though.
Agree strongly! Steve Wilson includes instrumental mixes on many of his remixes but they’re only in stereo. I def know Orbital - their albums are filed next to The Orb - (hint, hint, hint). My preorder is IN!

Gilmour has almost totally disowned his first two solo albums so wouldn’t expect anything ever on those. Pity. They are much better than his last two
In hindsight I think it’s just wishful thinking on my part. So far all the SDE disc’s have been taken from new albums (afaik) so I guess we won’t be seeing any back catalog stuff anyway, unfortunately.
I just got my Eno and had a good listen to it yesterday, sounds like what would be background music in a spa to me, it’s a nice mix (even in only 5.1 for me) but it’s not what I’d listen to on any regular basis.

In hindsight I think it’s just wishful thinking on my part. So far all the SDE disc’s have been taken from new albums (afaik) so I guess we won’t be seeing any back catalog stuff anyway, unfortunately.
I just got my Eno and had a good listen to it yesterday, sounds like what would be background music in a spa to me, it’s a nice mix (even in only 5.1 for me) but it’s not what I’d listen to on any regular basis.
I’ll correct myself! Shakespeare’s sister is a back catalogue disc. So there’s hope too according to the post comments by Paul. Yippee

I totally agree with you big Eno fan from Roxy Music days and I don't see this getting heavy rotation. But I knew what I was getting from the description

Much prefer listening to The Tipping Point

The new Orbital is going to be as banging, as Yello's Point. This is a fantastic series: inexpensive - compared to those enormous box-sets - space-saving, diverse selection. And hooray for new music too - like everyone else here, I have all the vintage stuff, which has been released before. I'm still open to new experiences, but I have stopped buying CD's because the audio quality is so awful. These new Atmos mixes are fantastic. The new Brian Eno album is a totally different experience, in its multichannel mix, compared to the stereo mix. Really atmospheric. And - hey - if you guys don't like blind-buying, and don't like the album, when it arrives, just flog it on Discogs. They're limited editions and you will definitely get your money back!

One of the coolest thing for me about this series so far is that it is presenting music to me that I otherwise probably would not have sought out. Im Open minded and listen to all genres but there is only so much time in the day to go exploring brand new music....I'm still busy tracking down stuff from 60 years ago lol.

But I am a huge surround fan and have been a fan of SDE for many years so this is a match made in heaven for me. I've bought all the titles so far and the only new release among them I would have otherwise bought was TFF. So it's a lot of fun for us music fans and rewarding for the artist as well.

I'm totally confused about the slipcases. When my xPropaganda arrived, it came with slipcase...as did my Eno title.
xPropaganda did not ship with a slipcase, so you are definitely confused! ;)

Let's clear this up once and for all... The only blu-rays that *didn't* ship with a slipcase are Tears For Fears and xPropaganda and that's because I didn't think of the idea until we came to Gilbert! :giggle: We added the TFF slipcase to every Shakespears Sister order since that was a very easy way to get those to people and 95% of people who had ordered Shakespears Sister had already ordered TFF.

With xPropaganda there was a lengthy delay in getting these designed, for various reasons. However they were done by the brilliant Philip Marshall (who did all the design for the products) and had to be approved by Paul Morley and the band etc. These arrived this week in time for me to offer a bundle option with Orbital.

Both TFF and xProp can be ordered on their own and are free but you do need to pay for postage (which I don't think is unreasonable!). However in most instances there should be no extra postage costs if you add to another order (like a blu-ray).

Going forward there will be no more bundles with slipcases. If you want either TFF or xProp you can just order them.

Back