The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SDE has been a damp squib so far for me. The only one I have is Tubular Bells and that has a messed up transfer of the quad mix which is the only mix I wanted. I have Def Leppard on pre order, but Paul Young is another pass for me....

Are you saying, based on the one title you have, that all SDE releases have been a damp squib? Being a Yankee, I interpret that to mean doesn't live up to expectations.

Are you saying, based on the one title you have, that all SDE releases have been a damp squib? Being a Yankee, I interpret that to mean doesn't live up to expectations.
I mean the entire project does not live up to expectations for me, because so many of the titles are ones I have no interest in. The fact that the only one I bought has a broken transfer adds insult to injury.

I have been pleased with the Ten Years After, the Bob Dylan, and found I dug the xPropaganda, Orbital, and even the odd Eno. The Tears for Fears are excellent, but like others heer I can leave behind a few of the 80's releases. Naturally Tubular Bells is the cream of the crop. One really can't ignore the sales figures for several of the titles I mentioned, but of course, if the music isn't to ones liking, nothing gonna change that, not even an Atmos mix! Trevor Horn and Soft Cell are standing by to be loaded into the player over here.

A lot of these releases sell out quite quickly, you either buy them on release or accept you may never get it.
why are these runs so small? Obviously there is a demand that exceeds the run on almost all the titles as most are sold out during the pre-orders or soon after release.

I honestly don't get this strategy. Used to be record companies pressed as many as possible so they could saturate the stores with product. Now, they don't even try to meet initial demand? Let alone, God forbid someone should not hear about it for a few months and decide then that they want a copy.

If given the option, would you rather a) aim lower and sell out all your stock or b) overproduce and end up with a warehouse full of unsold copies?

There are still unsold 5.1 discs from the mid-2000s floating around (you can get new copies of Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms and Elton John's self-titled SACDs on Amazon right now - I doubt those were pressed recently), so I don't really blame them for doing smaller runs or (preferably) pressing based on demand within a time-limited window. If this strategy is what it takes to justify more physical surround releases from the bigger labels, so be it.

SDE has been a damp squib so far for me. The only one I have is Tubular Bells and that has a messed up transfer of the quad mix which is the only mix I wanted. I have Def Leppard on pre order, but Paul Young is another pass for me. Quadio has been more of a hit for me, though with difficulties of shipping and taxes from the US and reduced range from the UK store (which meant I missed out on Paranoid).
SDE same for me, and the George Harrison tribute disc had a rather lame surround section IMHO.

I’ve bought 3 up until now, both Tears for fears and Tubular bells, not a fan of 80’s pop which most of these are. I refuse to buy albums i’ll never play so they’ll look good on my shelf.
In SDE’s defence they either have a two week window for ordering or they make to order, if everyone who wants one ordered at the time it would stop scalpers ripping people off further down the line

To me, the music is the reason I buy the discs. I’m willing to listen to stuff I haven’t heard, but not necessarily shell out $30 on something I don’t know I’ll like, and I’m certainly not going to spend on a band I don’t think makes good music, just to “support the industry.” Been there, done enough of that.

SDE has had a handful of titles I love, and a bunch that aren’t to my taste. Never heard of the guy on the latest release, and I haven’t given a rat’s rip about a complete collection for 40 years (Got the Franklin Mint classical set - that was the last one.)

Silverline has a handful of titles I like. Not spectacular, but enjoyable. The music is most important. I wouldn’t buy a turd, no matter how well it was polished.

If given the option, would you rather a) aim lower and sell out all your stock or b) overproduce and end up with a warehouse full of unsold copies?
Piggy-backing on this, of a percentage pressed even a few dozen unsold units can be all the profit margin. Say 1000 are pressed but in order to turn a profit all but a few need to be sold, then you're much more likely to err on the side of caution and ensure all the units get sold to make it worth your time. Based on how some titles get a second or third print run tells me they can spin up the presses for more as demand is clearly outpacing supply. But if it takes weeks for them to sell the final few copies, they're less likely to want to take on the risk of another run.

But if it takes weeks for them to sell the final few copies, they're less likely to want to take on the risk of another run.
Yep - I remember some folks being nervous about ABC's Lexicon of Love getting a fixed run of 5000 rather than pressed on demand, but then it didn't sell out until a month or so after release.

I see the ebayer we highlighted and reported is still selling 'back up copies' of Blu Ray Audios including a couple of SDE titles 🤬

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276202670334
I always try to report these things. Not that eBay does anything about it....

And it clearly says Dolby Atmos back-up discs!

It was in Record Collector (?) that a guy in Dorset has been prosecuted by the Local Trading Standards for selling cloned LPs, they took over £300k off him as proceeds of crime - but they reckon he made over a million

And it clearly says Dolby Atmos back-up discs!

It was in Record Collector (?) that a guy in Dorset has been prosecuted by the Local Trading Standards for selling cloned LPs, they took over £300k off him as proceeds of crime - but they reckon he made over a million
I bought the DSOTM atmos disc from amazon for £10.99, saved myself a few pennies

Back