The Who - Who’s Next SDE series no. 30 (January 17th, 2025)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes it pays to pass on a bloated big box, as hard as that is to do sometimes. Unfortunately, all too often these standalones do NOT appear so it should be celebrated and supported when they do. Although I'm not the biggest Who fan, this title will sit nicely alongside my ancient 5.1 copies of Tommy and Quadrophenia. And I will no longer be looking for any more Who titles. 😌

Sometimes it pays to pass on a bloated big box, as hard as that is to do sometimes. Unfortunately, all too often these standalones do NOT appear so it should be celebrated and supported when they do. Although I'm not the biggest Who fan, this title will sit nicely alongside my ancient 5.1 copies of Tommy and Quadrophenia. And I will no longer be looking for any more Who titles. 😌
Maybe not, but I'll be looking for a SDE #30xxxxx of Pete Townsend, Glass Houses.

I've got the big box. Like some others, I would probably have bought this SDE instead if I had known at the time. But this is great news for those that didn't buy the box and also great news for all of us - it does mean there is now a precedent for going back and releasing immersive discs that were previously only in an expensive box/ long sold out. I hope Paul considers even older non-Atmos (5.1 only) discs as potential targets too. (Roxy Music?)

Of course, the price for used (and possibly remaining new copies) of Who's Next box set will reduce, so if you can find the box for a reasonable price it's well worth having. Pete's detailed notes on each track are great.

Did Wilson mix the big box set?

https://www.thesdeshop.com/products...-audio?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=campaign

The blu-ray was previously only available as part of the excellent, but expensive, super deluxe edition of Who's Next, which was released just over a year ago. It features Steven Wilson remixes of Who's Next and 14 bonus tracks.

https://shop.thewho.com/products/whos-next-life-house-super-deluxe-edition-10cd-blu-ray

WHO’S NEXT / LIFE HOUSE Super Deluxe Edition contains 10-CDs all remastered from original tapes by long time Who engineer Jon Astley as well as a Blu-ray Audio disc with newly made Atmos & 5.1 surround mixes of the original album and 14 bonus tracks by Steven Wilson.

Bluray ordered. Many moons ago I bought the box set from Amazon, at full price. Then got cold feet and returned it. Now I’m happy!

I’ve had to become way more selective now that I’m retired. Fixed income sucks!

Bluray ordered. Many moons ago I bought the box set from Amazon, at full price. Then got cold feet and returned it. Now I’m happy!

I’ve had to become way more selective now that I’m retired. Fixed income sucks!
Your pun makes me so happy! And, yes, fixed income sucks! Follow your bliss!

As someone who is also on a fixed income, I am super happy with the box set and I can't cost justify spending another $45-$50 (including VAT & shipping to the U.S.) for some additional Atmos instrumentals. As always, YMMV. But, for those of you who didn't spring for the box, this is next level work by Wilson and I'd pre-order it with no hesitation!

I've only ordered two of the SDE discs before (Ten Years After and Mike Oldfield), can't stand all that 80s pop stuff because I'm a grumpy old boomer who's too fixed in his love of 70s prog. rock and jazz fusion. I'm glad Paul has gone back to some 70s stuff; having now ordered this one, I hope there's more to come...

so, Paul, who's next?
Similarly, my onlySDE disc is Ten Years After. It makes no sense to me to buy a bunch of stuff you already know you won’t bother playing, just to fill up space on your shelf (which is at a premium for some of us). I have the vinyl, but this is definitely going to be a nice addition to a music collection that doesn’t care much abot completeness.

I went down the “gotta have ‘em all” road a couple of times with other collections (first day stamp covers and Franklin Mint LPs) and I found that I got less satisfaction and more anxiety than I had anticipated.

Back