Steven Wilson The Who - Who Are You (Steven Wilson Atmos Mix forthcoming!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a DBX copy too now not necessary with the hopefully ultimate version coming....
I wouldn't assume the new version will be the ultimate copy. IMO - for vinyl at least - Miles Showell 1/2 speed vinyl is rarely the ultimate version.

I was checking out the track listings in the PETE TOWNSHEND "Live in Concert 1985-2001". Is there another venue called the Fillmore because CD's 5 & 6 are listed as being from the Fillmore 30 April 1996. Both east and west closed in 1971.
Hey, didn't know that had been released! I was there... it was a great show! I think I have it on a cassette tape.

My big question about this upcoming release of "Who Are You" is: What version of "Music Must Change" will we get? When the album was re-released on CD in 1996 with five bonus tracks, "Music Must Change" (NOT one of the bonus tracks) had a different guitar solo which hurt the song in my opinion. I'm hoping the original solo will be restored on the new release. In case you're wondering, the bonus tracks were: "No Road Romance", "Empty Glass", "Guitar And Pen (Olympic '78 Mix)", "Love Is Coming Down (Work-in-progress Mix)", and "Who Are You (Lost Verse Mix)".

Last edited:
The Fillmore in San Francisco did indeed close in the early 1970's but was re-opened on April 27, 1994 and is NOT to be missed as it is a fantastic venue. The poster room is also located within the confines of the Fillmore and serves as the curator and museum for the original concert/event posters that Bill Graham used to advertise upcoming shows throughout the Bay Area in the 1960's and 1970's.
In 1989 I watched the Jefferson Airplane perform at the Fillmore for three nights in a row! Bill Graham was still alive, and on the opening night you could see Paul and Grace up in the rafters at a small table, having a smoke together. The second night was the best; the third night, Jorma was wasted, but after a very extensive tour, he obviously needed a break. They cancelled a 4th night to play in L.A., and came back to play at Golden Gate Park for a free concert (very loud but memorable!). They only performed once more, their last show, another freebie in Washington D.C. for the homeless.

Saw that tour too but I went to the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles. They opened with crown of creation. The reunion album they released at that time was sub par but the concert was great. That was probably the 4th canceled date in San Francisco they used for the Greek. Only time I have seen them and consider myself lucky.

In 1989 I watched the Jefferson Airplane perform at the Fillmore for three nights in a row! Bill Graham was still alive, and on the opening night you could see Paul and Grace up in the rafters at a small table, having a smoke together. The second night was the best; the third night, Jorma was wasted, but after a very extensive tour, he obviously needed a break. They cancelled a 4th night to play in L.A., and came back to play at Golden Gate Park for a free concert (very loud but memorable!). They only performed once more, their last show, another freebie in Washington D.C. for the homeless.
Yeah, the Fillmore opened for a few years in the '80's, but closed for repairs after the '*89 earthquake. The Airplane shows there were awesome... they had played the Greek in Berkeley and the Concord Pavilion before that. The GG Park show was awesome too... unfortunately I had to listen from the Rock Med tent... 😐

My big question about this upcoming release of "Who Are You" is: What version of "Music Must Change" will we get? When the album was re-released on CD in 1996 with five bonus tracks, "Music Must Change" (NOT one of the bonus tracks) had a different guitar solo which hurt the song in my opinion. I'm hoping the original solo will be restored on the new release. In case you're wondering, the bonus tracks were: "No Road Romance", "Empty Glass", "Guitar And Pen (Olympic '78 Mix)", "Love Is Coming Down (Work-in-progress Mix)", and "Who Are You (Lost Verse Mix)".
Very good question(s)! This goes directly to the accuracy and transparency that I and I am sure others want (and deserve) from the record companies. It really isn't a lot to ask for and expect from any entity that is selling (physical or streaming) and we are buying (same) product.

Yeah, the Fillmore opened for a few years in the '80's, but closed for repairs after the '*89 earthquake. The Airplane shows there were awesome... they had played the Greek in Berkeley and the Concord Pavilion before that. The GG Park show was awesome too... unfortunately I had to listen from the Rock Med tent... 😐
Yeah, I dragged myself to the Greek and Concord shows as well -- six shows in eight days! Work rather interfered, so sleep was
desperately needed, but as a fan who never thought I'd see the original group (minus Spencer, but I caught him with Fish n' Chip), I lapped up every chance.

[edit: I'm assuming you were working the Rock Med tent, in which case, kudos to you. If not . . . well, I'm sorry, lol]

Yeah, I dragged myself to the Greek and Concord shows as well -- six shows in eight days! Work rather interfered, so sleep was
desperately needed, but as a fan who never thought I'd see the original group (minus Spencer, but I caught him with Fish n' Chip), I lapped up every chance.

[edit: I'm assuming you were working the Rock Med tent, in which case, kudos to you. If not . . . well, I'm sorry, lol]
no, unfortunately I wasn’t working, but yeah… they’re an awesome organization. 😅

"Sister Disco" was my go to track from "Who Are You", it summed up my very anti-disco feeling at the time. The Who would not fall victim to the disease most exemplified by The Bee Gees! Most big names had at least one Disco hit around that time but not The Who!

This quote from Wikipedia

"Pete Townshend has claimed that the song was written as a statement that The Who would never use disco elements in their music."

So Goodbye Sister Disco! This will be a for sure purchase by me when it becomes available!

"Sister Disco" was my go to track from "Who Are You", it summed up my very anti-disco feeling at the time. The Who would not fall victim to the disease most exemplified by The Bee Gees! Most big names had at least one Disco hit around that time but not The Who!

This quote from Wikipedia

"Pete Townshend has claimed that the song was written as a statement that The Who would never use disco elements in their music."

So Goodbye Sister Disco! This will be a for sure purchase by me when it becomes available!
Yes it will be mine also...Who By Numbers? Not sure why "fans" want to see that released instead of Who Are You.

I would love to have hear the dbx vinyl pressing...
I had no idea there were dbx vinyls. I had dbx tape decks in my house and my car so I could listen to my LPs (and later) CDs without hearing the tape hiss all the time.

dbx was magic to me until CDs came out. Then it quickly became unnecessary.

Back