Thin Lizzy "1976" (SDE exclusive Blu-Ray with surround mixes of "Jailbreak" and Johnny the Fox")

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 4 Life

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Description
Both Johnny the Fox and Jailbreak were released in 1976 and are seen as the definitive Thin Lizzy studio albums featuring such hits as The Boys Are Back In Town, Jailbreak, Warriors, and Cowboy Song.

Jailbreak was released in March 1976 and was seen as the bands breakthrough album in America reaching number 18 in the Billboard charts and was a top ten record in the UK.

Johnny The Fox was recorded in the same year and was released in October 1976 to critical acclaim and got to no 11 in the UK charts.

1976 is a new compilation box set containing the two versions of both albums, the original form and a new stereo mix by Richard Whittaker as overseen by guitarist Scott Gorham and mastered by Andy Pearce. There is also a Blu-ray containing an Atmos mix of both albums.

The other discs contain unreleased mixes from the bands vault, radio sessions, and an unreleased show from Cleveland.

The package is housed in a 10 x 10 box is rounded off with sleeve notes by Mojo’s Mark Blake and has a hard-backed booklet packed with rare photos and memorabilia, with contributions from long-time contributor Jim Fitzpatrick.

Tracklist
[CD1]
1. Emerald
2. Cowboy Song
3. Fight Or Fall
4. The Boys Are Back In Town
5. Jailbreak
6. Jailbreak - New Stereo Mix
7. Emerald
8. Warriors
9. Romeo And The Lonely Girl
10. Running Back
11. Angel From The Coast
12. Jailbreak - Original Mix
13. Angel From The Coast
14. Jailbreak
15. Romeo And The Lonely Girl
16. Running Back
17. The Boys Are Back In Town
18. Warriors
19. Cowboy Song
20. Fight Or Fall

[CD2]
1. The Rocker
2. Me And The Boys
3. Sha La La
4. Angel From The Coast
5. Suicide
6. Rosalie + Cowgirl Song
7. Jailbreak
8. For Those Who Love To Live
9. The Boys Are Back In Town
10. Emerald
11. Wild One
12. Romeo And The Lonely Girl
13. It's Only Money
14. Warrior
15. Blues Boy

[CD3]
1. Cowboy Song - Bbc Session - 12/02/1976
2. Warriors - Bbc Session - 12/02/1976
3. Emerald - Bbc Session - 12/02/1976
4. Funky Job - Outtake
5. Brian's Number - Tk3 - Outtake
6. Jailbreak - Bbc Session - 12/02/1976
7. Warriors - Instrumental
8. Romeo And The Lonely Girl - Acoustic
9. Emerald - Alt Version
10. Cowboy Song - Tk2 - Instrumental Demo
11. Running Back - Demo
12. Angel From The Coast - Alt Version
13. Fight Or Fall - Acoustic
14. The Kid Is Back - Tk1
15. Jailbreak Tk5 - Demo

[CD4]
1. Don't Believe A Word - Alt Version 2
2. Johnny - Instrumental T2
3. Little Big Horn
4. Borderline - 4 Track Demo
5. Rocky - Alt Version 2
6. Fools Gold - Demo
7. Old Flame - Alt Version 2
8. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed -12-Inch Mix
9. Sweet Marie - Demo
10. Fool's Gold - Bbc Session - 23/09/1976
11. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed - Bbc Session - 23/09/1976
12. Jam Aka Give It Up
13. Johnny - Bbc Session - 23/09/1976
14. Jam - Improvised Vocal Off Mic
15. Biriani Tango - Instrumental Outtake
16. Son Of Warrior - Instrumental Outtake
17. Don't Believe A Word - Bbc Session - 23/09/1976
18. Boogie Woogie Dance - Instrumental Outtake

[CD5]
1. Old Flame
2. Fool's Gold
3. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
4. Boogie Woogie Dance
5. Massacre
6. Sweet Marie
7. Rocky
8. Boogie Woogie Dance
9. Johnny The Fox- New Stereo Mix
10. Borderline
11. Sweet Marie
12. Johnny
13. Don't Believe A Word
14. Johnny
15. Don't Believe A Word
16. Borderline
17. Fool's Gold
18. Massacre
19. Old Flame
20. Rocky
21. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
22. Johnny The Fox-Original Mix

[Blu-ray]
1. Johnny
2. Emerald
3. Rocky
4. Fight Or Fall
5. Fool's Gold
6. Johnny The Fox- Atmos Mix
7. Borderline
8. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
9. Cowboy Song
10. Don't Believe A Word
11. The Boys Are Back In Town
12. Sweet Marie
13. Johnny
14. Boogie Woogie Dance
15. Rocky
16. Massacre
17. Fool's Gold
18. Johnny The Fox- New Stereo Mix
19. Borderline
20. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
21. Don't Believe A Word
22. Old Flame
23. Jailbreak - New Stereo Mix
24. Jailbreak
25. Romeo And The Lonely Girl
26. Emerald
27. Angel From The Coast
28. Warriors
29. Running Back
30. Warriors
31. Cowboy Song
32. Fight Or Fall
33. Angel From The Coast
34. The Boys Are Back In Town
35. Jailbreak - Atmos Mix
36. Jailbreak
37. Romeo And The Lonely Girl
38. Running Back
39. Massacre
40. Sweet Marie
41. Boogie Woogie Dance
42. Old Flame

Amazon USA
Available for pre-order soon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D1X2VCZQ/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon Canada
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0D1X2VCZQ/?tag=imwanca-20

Amazon UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0D1X2VCZQ/?tag=imwan-21

1723119267419.png

Is... Is this tracklisting real? 🤨

I can see a release in general is real given the Amazon Canada listing, but Jailbreak playing 4 times on the first disc? That doesn't match at all what the discs are showing in the image, designating new and original mixes for each, BBC sessions & outtakes, and a live release.
5. Jailbreak
7. Emerald
8. Warriors
10. Running Back
11. Angel From The Coast
13. Angel From The Coast
14. Jailbreak
I also don't wanna hear these two albums with their tracklistings mashed in some odd order.

Last edited:
Good news, yes.
But I’ll wait for stand-alone Blu-Rays and hope they come.
not sure will there be any this time, seeing as how both albums are on the same Blu-ray Disc in this set.
they would need to author additional Blu-Rays to release them individually and not sure they would do that.

EDIT: nevermind...I'm wrong... :censored:

If you have your finger on the preorder button for the box set, wait a bit for more info to come out. Judging by what the disc says in the preview image, it might have LESS content on the Blu Ray than the SDE release.

Specifically, the Blu Ray in the box set image notes the 2024 stereo and Atmos mixes on its disc label, while the SDE listing specifically notes Atmos, 5.1, instrumental (not sure if that's stereo, 5.1, or Atmos), a remastered original stereo mix, and the 2024 stereo mix.
1000008737.png

We'll see how things develop. It is certainly possible that the box set has all the SDE mixes and it's just not noted on the label. We'll have to see.

Edit: The SDE page notes the instrumental mixes are exclusive to their release.

Last edited:
I am going to order it, "Cowboy Song" is one of the greatest guitar driven rock songs of all time. How is it not an all time classic?
Extremely bummed though that the mix is being handled by Whittaker. His mix on the "Vagabonds of the Western World" was less than average (IMO).

If you only know Thin Lizzy for their single(s) I think you're in for a real treat - for me they're one of the strongest 'album' rock bands of all time, and I don't think they set a foot wrong between 1974 and 1979. I was sort of hoping that we'd see 1974's Nightlife and 1975's Fighting after the Atmos release of Vagabonds of the Western World (from 1973) last year, but it's hard to argue with a Blu-Ray that contains two of their very best albums.

Richard Whittaker's Atmos mix of Vagabonds was pretty good - I had him in my mental list of "started off poorly but was getting better with each mix" engineers, but I'm not sure what to think after that U2 Atmos mix that was released to streaming. These two classics deserve an equally great mix; I hope we get one.

If you have your finger on the preorder button for the box set, wait a bit for more info to come out. Judging by what the disc says in the preview image, it might have LESS content on the Blu Ray than the SDE release.

Specifically, the Blu Ray in the box set image notes the 2024 stereo and Atmos mixes on its disc label, while the SDE listing specifically notes Atmos, 5.1, instrumental (not sure if that's stereo, 5.1, or Atmos), a remastered original stereo mix, and the 2024 stereo mix.
View attachment 108280
We'll see how things develop. It is certainly possible that the box set has all the SDE mixes and it's just not noted on the label. We'll have to see.

Edit: The SDE page notes the instrumental mixes are exclusive to their release.
The Canadian Amazon listing for the box shows a price of $121.99 and the US listing is not yet active from my computer. As much as I would love to have the Cleveland show, the stand-alone set from SDE looks to be the prize. Ordering that version today!

UPDATE- the conversion rate brings the cost for the stand-alone to about $44 USD.

The Canadian Amazon listing for the box shows a price of $121.99 and the US listing is not yet active from my computer. As much as I would love to have the Cleveland show, the stand-alone set from SDE looks to be the prize. Ordering that version today!
Smart move. Should the box set contain the same Blu-Ray and cone down in price, you'll be able to finance part of it by selling your SDE which will surely have increased in value.

Another looking for Mr. Whitaker to redeem himself on this one. I've also not been excited by some of his past work but heard glimmers of possibility. He seems to be one of the group of mixers who doesn't really favor a more discrete direction when doing surround, something I personally find far more interesting. I was crushed with the Kiss 'Creatures' mix that followed the Steven Wilson 'Destroyer'. If I ever get to talk to Gene Simmons I'll ask him why he didn't ask Wilson to do the next one. I'll bet it came down to money and Whitaker was hungrier and worked cheaper at that time.

Description
Both Johnny the Fox and Jailbreak were released in 1976 and are seen as the definitive Thin Lizzy studio albums featuring such hits as The Boys Are Back In Town, Jailbreak, Warriors, and Cowboy Song.

Jailbreak was released in March 1976 and was seen as the bands breakthrough album in America reaching number 18 in the Billboard charts and was a top ten record in the UK.

Johnny The Fox was recorded in the same year and was released in October 1976 to critical acclaim and got to no 11 in the UK charts.

1976 is a new compilation box set containing the two versions of both albums, the original form and a new stereo mix by Richard Whittaker as overseen by guitarist Scott Gorham and mastered by Andy Pearce. There is also a Blu-ray containing an Atmos mix of both albums.

The other discs contain unreleased mixes from the bands vault, radio sessions, and an unreleased show from Cleveland.

The package is housed in a 10 x 10 box is rounded off with sleeve notes by Mojo’s Mark Blake and has a hard-backed booklet packed with rare photos and memorabilia, with contributions from long-time contributor Jim Fitzpatrick.

Tracklist
[CD1]
1. Emerald
2. Cowboy Song
3. Fight Or Fall
4. The Boys Are Back In Town
5. Jailbreak
7. Emerald
8. Warriors
10. Running Back
11. Angel From The Coast
13. Angel From The Coast
14. Jailbreak
15. Romeo And The Lonely Girl
16. Running Back
17. The Boys Are Back In Town
18. Warriors
19. Cowboy Song
20. Fight Or Fall

[CD2]
1. The Rocker
2. Me And The Boys
3. Sha La La
4. Angel From The Coast
5. Suicide
6. Rosalie + Cowgirl Song
7. Jailbreak
8. For Those Who Love To Live
9. The Boys Are Back In Town
10. Emerald
11. Wild One
12. Romeo And The Lonely Girl
13. It's Only Money
14. Warrior
15. Blues Boy

[CD3]
1. Cowboy Song - Bbc Session - 12/02/1976
2. Warriors - Bbc Session - 12/02/1976
3. Emerald - Bbc Session - 12/02/1976
4. Funky Job - Outtake
5. Brian's Number - Tk3 - Outtake
6. Jailbreak - Bbc Session - 12/02/1976
7. Warriors - Instrumental
8. Romeo And The Lonely Girl - Acoustic
9. Emerald - Alt Version
10. Cowboy Song - Tk2 - Instrumental Demo
11. Running Back - Demo
12. Angel From The Coast - Alt Version
13. Fight Or Fall - Acoustic
14. The Kid Is Back - Tk1
15. Jailbreak Tk5 - Demo

[CD4]
1. Don't Believe A Word - Alt Version 2
2. Johnny - Instrumental T2
3. Little Big Horn
4. Borderline - 4 Track Demo
5. Rocky - Alt Version 2
6. Fools Gold - Demo
7. Old Flame - Alt Version 2
8. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed -12-Inch Mix
9. Sweet Marie - Demo
10. Fool's Gold - Bbc Session - 23/09/1976
11. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed - Bbc Session - 23/09/1976
12. Jam Aka Give It Up
13. Johnny - Bbc Session - 23/09/1976
14. Jam - Improvised Vocal Off Mic
15. Biriani Tango - Instrumental Outtake
16. Son Of Warrior - Instrumental Outtake
17. Don't Believe A Word - Bbc Session - 23/09/1976
18. Boogie Woogie Dance - Instrumental Outtake

[CD5]
1. Old Flame
2. Fool's Gold
3. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
4. Boogie Woogie Dance
5. Massacre
6. Sweet Marie
7. Rocky
8. Boogie Woogie Dance
9. Johnny The Fox- New Stereo Mix
10. Borderline
11. Sweet Marie
12. Johnny
13. Don't Believe A Word
14. Johnny
15. Don't Believe A Word
16. Borderline
17. Fool's Gold
18. Massacre
19. Old Flame
20. Rocky
21. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
22. Johnny The Fox-Original Mix

[Blu-ray]
1. Johnny
2. Emerald
3. Rocky
4. Fight Or Fall
5. Fool's Gold
6. Johnny The Fox- Atmos Mix
7. Borderline
8. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
9. Cowboy Song
10. Don't Believe A Word
11. The Boys Are Back In Town
12. Sweet Marie
13. Johnny
14. Boogie Woogie Dance
15. Rocky
16. Massacre
17. Fool's Gold
18. Johnny The Fox- New Stereo Mix
19. Borderline
20. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
21. Don't Believe A Word
22. Old Flame
23. Jailbreak - New Stereo Mix
24. Jailbreak
25. Romeo And The Lonely Girl
26. Emerald
27. Angel From The Coast
28. Warriors
29. Running Back
30. Warriors
31. Cowboy Song
32. Fight Or Fall
33. Angel From The Coast
34. The Boys Are Back In Town
35. Jailbreak - Atmos Mix
36. Jailbreak
37. Romeo And The Lonely Girl
38. Running Back
39. Massacre
40. Sweet Marie
41. Boogie Woogie Dance
42. Old Flame

Amazon USA
Available for pre-order soon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D1X2VCZQ/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon Canada
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0D1X2VCZQ/?tag=imwanca-20

Amazon UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0D1X2VCZQ/?tag=imwan-21

View attachment 108278
Huge props to you for the heads-up. Thank you!

As much as I would love to have the Cleveland show
!Cleveland Rocks!

Pretty certain the source for this is a radio broadcast from the legendary local Cleveland radio station - WMMS. They frequently hooked up with equally legendary & infamous Cleveland Agora to broadcast band's live on their airwaves.

I think this was part of something they called "Monday Night Out" or "Buzzard Night Out".
The station also broadcasted something they called "Coffee Break Concerts" where a band would play a short set from the venue in the early afternoon before their scheduled performance that night.

Somewhere buried in a box is the TDK cassette tape my brother made of this radio broadcast (later pilfered by me)

Splinter7, you are all over it. I have lived in the CLE for most of my life and fondly recall the Monday Night at the Agora series. Taped many of them live, beginning on 8-track, and attended many in person. Like you, I may have this somewhere in questionable fidelity.

Research indicates this is likely the April 19 date with the Sutherland Brothers as opening act.

There is soooo much history connected to the Agora, we could start a thread that would demonstrate the undeniable connection and impact that WMMS and its audience had on 70s rock. If there is interest, let me know.

Happy to see some local roots on the forum!

Back