Universal Music to Remix Thousands of Songs Into Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will the Atmos mixes all be 7.1.4 or maybe some could be 4.0.1 (or 5.1.1)?

So far, I haven't heard Atmos, do 4 overhead speakers make that much of
a difference over 1 overhead speaker?

Kirk Bayne

Will the Atmos mixes all be 7.1.4 or maybe some could be 4.0.1 (or 5.1.1)?

So far, I haven't heard Atmos, do 4 overhead speakers make that much of
a difference over 1 overhead speaker?

Kirk Bayne
Atmos doesn't work the way you describe it. In Atmos encoding the various sound sources are defined as objects at various points in 3D space (either static or moving). The Atmos decoding algorithm will adapt to whatever speaker configuration/placement one sets up.

While I don't have Atmos myself, I think the answer to your second question will very much depend on the mix itself and how directional the creator decides to make it.

I don't see how wiring AC could be more convenient than laying speaker cable.
Think about it. For instance, take a Sound-bar. Because of the two upfiring (.2) Atmos speakers, one would only need power to two separate speakers and, normally, there are outlets located on each side of the room. For the Sound-bar, of course, there is only one outlet. It may be possible where we see a future where batteries are built into each speaker similar to what we are seeing in Smart speakers.

I'm sure sound bars have their place, but that place just isn't anywhere in my house.

right.

Atmos Soundbar speakers are a max of 3-4 inch dia, more average 2".

All my 7 atmos speakers are 6.5" (the 4 heights are 5" upfiring). The difference between 2-4" soundbar speakers and 6.5" stand alone is night and day, not to mention 4 ohm vs 8 ohm.

Last edited:
while i haven't a scooby about Atmos and who's who in that world and i agree there aren't/weren't a ton of and not all 5.1 guys are/were superstars of the Wilson or Scheiner ilk (or that consistent, even the better surround engineers have/had their off days) i'd say there are/were more than 5 who know/knew their stuff.. i'd add people like Michael Bishop, Thom Cadley, Ken Caillat, Giancarlo Erra, Frank Filipetti, Steve Genewick, Paul Klingberg (patchy but the better mixes like EW&F's "Gratitude" are great), Nathaniel Kunkel, George Massenburg, Jim Newhouser, Alan Parsons, Kevin Paul, Ronald Prent, Robert Reed, the late Al Schmitt, Bruce Soord, David Tickle, Tony Visconti, Martin Walters, Tim Weidner (a couple of duffers but the Seal mixes are good) and our very own Neil Wilkes (hooray!).. anyway.. that's all history! bring on the new surround music, Atmos, 5.1, whatever! the more the merrier! :51QQ
I did say ‘I’m certain I’m overlooking quite a few’.

I did say ‘I’m certain I’m overlooking quite a few’.

you did indeed! its just fun to try and get a conversation going (and i couldn't resist the opportunity to do a list!) :D
tbh i'm much more into old Quads nowadays than the 5.1's and i'm a bit out of the loop as to who does what in surround right now but even when i was hoovering up the 5.1's like a good'un there were definitely many modern multichannel mix clunkers and you make a good point, the same handful of chappies (the Wilson's and the Scheiner's and the Clearmountain's etc) came up with the goods more consistently, i just wanted to swing by and chime in lest we forget the Prent's and the Cadleys! oh and the Tickle's! i love a good tickle in surround don't you! heeeee!! :p

Speaking of Atmos. I am watching/listening to the new re-release of"The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus" 4 disc set, Blu Ray with 5.1 Dolby ATMOS Blu-ray only).
Does not sound that good to me, barely immersive, not discrete at all.

Speaking of Atmos. I am watching/listening to the new re-release of"The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus" 4 disc set, Blu Ray with 5.1 Dolby ATMOS Blu-ray only).
View attachment 40820
Thank you for this review. It's often not popular to give negative news, but I greatly appreciate it.

View attachment 40820

I just ordered the stand alone BD~V from Music Direct [under $20]. It was made for TV so doubtful it was recorded more than 4 tracks [maybe even 2]. Didn't expect much from the soundtrack but how's the picture? It was supposedly scanned at 4K.

View attachment 40820

I wondered about that one...the audio source material was a question mark....you can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig...the value might be in the video content...old footage might interest some...

Back