Universal Music to Remix Thousands of Songs Into Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been ‘off air’ for a couple of days and just caught up with new posts here. Two strange things appeared:

1. 20 Speakers? Most home Atmos systems will be 5.1.2 and maybe max out at 7.1.4 These are not 20 speaker systems, no where near 20.

2. Check the original Elliott Schiener quote here: It said “more than 3 front speakers” not “more than 5 speakers”

It’s easy to invent ‘facts’ or misquote to get across an agenda or accidentally keep a false story alive. I’d prefer not to see that here.

2. Check the original Elliott Schiener quote here: It said “more than 3 front speakers” not “more than 5 speakers”

It’s easy to invent ‘facts’ or misquote to get across an agenda or accidentally keep a false story alive. I’d prefer not to see that here.

Not sure how that was a “misquote” or “invented fact” - I was under the impression that most Atmos configurations do have more than 3 front speakers.

I’ve been ‘off air’ for a couple of days and just caught up with new posts here. Two strange things appeared:

1. 20 Speakers? Most home Atmos systems will be 5.1.2 and maybe max out at 7.1.4 These are not 20 speaker systems, no where near 20.

Hey, it was me quoting the use of 20 speakers as an example of situation where using more speakers does not reduce clarity or produce phasing effects. Andy Jackson did not use Atmos for his mixes in PF exhibition, read here: https://www.whathifi.com/features/pink-floyd-exhibition-25-speakers-3d-sound-and-comfortably-numb, but he did use 25 speakers to create 3D sound (and amazing results he got)

More than LCR? Main speakers. The other speakers would be either height or ceiling speakers.
I thought too Atmos only supported 3 front floor speakers, but I just checked Atmos papers and there's a 24 speakers config with 5 fronts.
I guess this is aimed for theaters, it'd be crazy to setup so many speakers in a small living room like most people has got.

I could see 20+ speakers in some sort of entertainment venue...but in someones house thats just crazy

While I love the idea of more music in immersive formats, I fear they will take the cheap way out and do most of this "re-mixing" with algorithms not engineers on multi-tracks. I'd love to be wrong but the cost and lack of good engineers makes it unlikely they'll bite that expense off. That will produce the same DSP-style faux surround effects that suck like a turbo Dyson.

If they do turn engineers loose like they did w/ REM- Automatic for the People, it could be Nirvana (who could use a remix too).

I wonder which audience they are trying to serve w/ this, the Home Theater in a box crowd, or audiophiles who bought into the idea of surround giving great music space for all the parts to breathe. I'm firmly in the second camp and recently expanded my 7.1 music system to full Auro/Atmos capability with a Trinnov Altitude 16 channel preamp/decoder/room magician.

If you haven't experienced one of these for room optimization, I'll just say it's brilliant. My listening room is pretty well treated and starts from a fairly flat response, but the 3-d mic and computer in this thing tighten up so many amplitude, phase and standing waves issues it's a night and day thing.

Even more so when you add the hight speakers and start doing Atmos or Auro. The Trinnov can set up and really sweeten up any configuration.There's not a lot of recorded for immersive music, but 2L and Sono Luminus do some great stuff mostly classical and period music. Ozark Henry has a pop standards style album called Paramount that has an Auro mix recorded in a theater that is magnificent sounding. It gives a perfect combo of discrete sounds especially his vocal, but also some of the solo instruments in the backing orchestra. But in addition a full feel of sitting in the theater hearing this with no amplification and the room in full effect. Kraftwerk 3-d is the other end of the spectrum where there is no attempt, or need, to recreate acoustic sound or room ambience, and they just have a ton of fun with the electronic coolness going all over the place.

The additional height speakers make a wonderful addition to some music, but I think a lot of band-based pop and rock will not really gain that much and there will be a danger if getting too cute with the mix. This is where I hope Steven Wilson has been thinking about jumping in because this could really use someone as dedicated to the music not the slick effects to blaze a path for producers and engineers to follow.

I wonder which audience they are trying to serve w/ this, the Home Theater in a box crowd, or audiophiles who bought into the idea of surround giving great music space for all the parts to breathe.
Congrats on the Trinov!!

The target audience is people that bought a soundbar with a "Dolby Atmos" logo. What could be more adequate than listening to Atmos music with it. Latest and greatest.

I tend to believe that a pro version of Dolby's Atmos upmixer ("Dolby Surround") is likely to have capabilities beyond DSP-style faux surround effects, such as individual instruments in one or several channels, perhaps with just a bit of input by a technician. Purchasers should be able to have a "WOW, that is so cool"! experience once in a while.

Congrats on the Trinov!!

The target audience is people that bought a soundbar with a "Dolby Atmos" logo. What could be more adequate than listening to Atmos music with it. Latest and greatest.

I tend to believe that a pro version of Dolby's Atmos upmixer ("Dolby Surround") is likely to have capabilities beyond DSP-style faux surround effects, such as individual instruments in one or several channels, perhaps with just a bit of input by a technician. Purchasers should be able to have a "WOW, that is so cool"! experience once in a while.

The soundbar angle makes sense, they are selling a ton of them. and they avoid the complications of having to get all the speakers properly placed in the room, with the obvious attendant en-crapification of the sound.

I hope your view of the Dolby Surround upmixing capability is accurate. The cheapest/simplest/ least quality route is just using existing stereo mixes and chopping them up to feed the additional channels a la the DSP buttons on many receivers and even in my car now. That will obviously be sub-optimal and basically unusable for audiophile purposes. If the Dolby Surround upmix s/w can actually pull individual instruments out of a stereo mix without going back to the mulit-tracks that will be impressive. If they do take the multi-tracks for a previous stereo mix then they can at least divvy up the sounds from that by individual instrument etc. even if it's an algorithm. Just teach it to put rhythm tracks in a certain configuration, vocals and instrument leads more prominently etc. That could be fairly decent.

And obviously an actual engineer making immersive music from the multis is best case. Regardless, I'm happy that this is happening and hope it leads to more purpose built recordings and mixes for surround and immersive formats.

If the Dolby Surround upmix s/w can actually pull individual instruments out of a stereo mix without going back to the mulit-tracks that will be impressive.
I'm pretty sure that is possible. In general, if it is possible manually (as it's been proven) algorithms and AI can approximate (or even improve) what a human can do. It's Dolby, they know their stuff.

I am 100% sure they won't go back to the multis in virtually all cases. As long as they can claim multichannelness and show the logo icon in the hit list that would be enough (including "enough for the purchasers").

For any strange reason ( well, somebody must have decided to invest some money on it), Dolby is fashionable. I got my work laptop renewed past week and it's got a very visible Dolby logo. You can guess the first thing I tried... HDMI cable straight to amp, VLC installed and properly configured with a couple of clicks and yes, it can transport Atmos audio flawlessly. Now I can play MKV files with Atmos without having to transcode the files.
But I digress, let's hope whoever decided to bet for Atmos keeps the investment for longer than Pure Audio Blu-rays, for example.

But I digress, let's hope whoever decided to bet for Atmos keeps the investment for longer than Pure Audio Blu-rays, for example.
Per your profile pic Cesar

Let's hope Roger Waters and whoever he is scrapping with about the Pink Floyd Animals 5.1 mix we were promised, find a peace treaty and make that happen

Recently expanded my 7.1 music system to full Auro/Atmos capability with a Trinnov Altitude 16 channel preamp/decoder/room magician.

Holy shit! That thing's $17,000.00! I found one used online for $14,000.00. Wow, I'd love to have something like that, but I'll probably get a mid-range priced Dennon for my next AVR.

More power to Jim for having the discretionary funds to swing this purchase!
More importantly a a wife who is very supportive of my obsession. I love vintage gear a lot too, but the Trinnov has so many usable and interesting functions I'm hooked. it's got a network connection that lets you run it from a laptop. And a ton of controls, this is the meter screen for an Atmos disc. It ingests HDMI audio out from an OPPO and then starts working with each channel individually.

I don't want to hijack a content thread talking gear, so I'll do a rundown in the gear thread sometime soon and link it here.

Back