Universal Music to Remix Thousands of Songs Into Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are you saying that all these Atmos mixes we are discussing are basically produced using computer controlled algorithms that route signals to the height speakers in a more or less, generic way?

Thats what im thinking...the AI

It’s not like there’s a plethora of great 5.1 MC mixers out there. I can think of 5 that readily come to my mind: Scheiner, Wilson, Clearmountain, Jackson & Penny. That’s just off the top of my head and I’m certain I’m overlooking quite a few, but the point is that there aren’t a ton of people that can do a proper, satisfactory 5.1 mix and this is over the course of 15+ years of evidence.

Now we’re supposed to believe that there is a sufficient number of qualified MC mixers using 9-11 speaker arrays in position to deliver thousands of songs in one year? Color me doubtful.

Who is gonna setup 20+ speakers in their house??? I doubt even anyone here would do that....never gonna happen....joe public listens to earbuds on their phones

20+ bose ???

I don't think any of these companies expect Joe or Alice public to set up 20 speakers in their house...that's for movie theaters and demos at audio shows....these companies will market soundbars like they are already doing and will "bundle" them with their TV's...of course on here people react violently to even the mention of soundbars...that's expected...but soundbars aren't the same as they were 10 years ago...and although I understand the reaction on here...I am forced 🤭 ..well not really forced...but I feel it's my sworn duty to point out a slight irony here....the objection in the surround community is that it is fake surround or in this case....fake atmos....but the same people that cry foul in the name of purity are using processors and now a surround master to arrive at "fake surround"...and that's fine with me...but certainly a contradiction...

I have been against soundbars for a long time...but my objection was based primarily on economics...for the price of those early soundbars one could buy a modest surround setup...but even then I understood that some people just didn't have the space for a "real" surround setup...and since I was first involved in the video world(a movie guy not a music guy)I could see the value of ANYTHING over the anemic TV speakers....but a few years ago...maybe 4...I heard a Bowers and Wilkins soundbar at my local Best Buy and that thing was pretty good....but of course it was pricey....but it was surround and I was impressed...and some of these soundbars now look impressive...and IMO doing Atmos on one wouldn't be as hard as some on here think....placing an upfiring speaker in the soundbar array isn't much different than the Atmos speakers some have now......many are designed to sit on top of your existing speaker...or in the proximity...and are upfiring and bounce the sound off the ceiling...and the other thing that might attract millennials is that they will be able to control some aspects of the system with their smart phones and are wireless...and of course the more upscale systems can involve more than one soundbar array...

What I'm trying to point out is that this type of system could gain acceptance with Joe and Alice...the key word is could...and whether you like or hate soundbars...we could indirectly benefit from this by getting more music...and that's what should make us happy...or most of us anyway:)

Last edited:
I don't think any of these companies expect Joe or Alice public to set up 20 speakers in their house...that's for movie theaters and demos at audio shows....these companies will market soundbars like they are already doing and will "bundle" them with their TV's...of course on here people react violently to even the mention of soundbars...that's expected...but soundbars aren't the same as they were 10 years ago...and although I understand the reaction on here...I am forced 🤭 ..well not really forced...but I feel it's my sworn duty to point out a slight irony here....the objection in the surround community is that it is fake surround or in this case....fake atmos....but the same people that cry foul in the name of purity are using processors and now a surround master to arrive at "fake surround"...and that's fine with me...but certainly a contradiction...

I have been against soundbars for a long time...but my objection was based primarily on economics...for the price of those early soundbars one could buy a modest surround setup...but even then I understood that some people just didn't have the space for a "real" surround setup...and since I was first involved in the video world(a movie guy not a music guy)I could see the value of ANYTHING over the anemic TV speakers....but a few years ago...maybe 4...I heard a Bowers and Wilkins soundbar at my local Best Buy and that thing was pretty good....but of course it was pricey....but it was surround and I was impressed...and some of these soundbars now look impressive...and IMO doing Atmos on one wouldn't be as hard as some on here think....placing an upfiring speaker in the soundbar array isn't much different than the Atmos speakers some have now......many are designed to sit on top of your existing speaker...or in the proximity...and are upfiring and bounce the sound off the ceiling...and the other thing that might attract millennials is that these systems will be able to control some aspects of the system with their smart phones and are wireless...and of course the more upscale systems can involve more than one soundbar array...

What I'm trying to point out is that this type of system could gain acceptance with Joe and Alice...the key word is could...and whether you like or hate soundbars...we could indirectly benefit from this by getting more music...and that's what should make us happy...or most of us anyway:)

Gee, I didn't realize that there was an objection in the surround community to sound bars. I always thought those devices a rather a neat way of adding surround to a system without invoking spousal ire. I don't have a sound bar because I have a substantial surround sound system in my man cave. Should we ever add surround sound to the TV in the family room, Atmos or otherwise, it will have to be done using a sound bar. I am actually quite intrigued by clever devices that can accomplish things that heretofore required cumbersome and complicated alternatives. An Atmos sound bar would fall into that category.

As for the man cave system, it is unlikely to ever see "real" Atmos added because of the expense, complication of matching speaker sonics, replacing expensive processors, etc.

Gee, I didn't realize that there was an objection in the surround community to sound bars. I always thought those devices a rather a neat way of adding surround to a system without invoking spousal ire. I don't have a sound bar because I have a substantial surround sound system in my man cave. Should we ever add surround sound to the TV in the family room, Atmos or otherwise, it will have to be done using a sound bar. I am actually quite intrigued by clever devices that can accomplish things that heretofore required cumbersome and complicated alternatives. An Atmos sound bar would fall into that category.

As for the man cave system, it is unlikely to ever see "real" Atmos added because of the expense, complication of matching speaker sonics, replacing expensive processors, etc.

That has been and still is a reaction to sound bars by many in the surround community....Ralphie once had to be rushed to the hospital when learning of a close friend who purchased a sound bar :whistle:

Even a sound bar would be considered an appliance at my house by my better half (like all my equipment) she’d be trying to put a fern in front of it🤦🏻‍♀️🌿💋

Last edited:
Even a sound bar would be considered an appliance at my house by my better half (like all my equipment) she’d be trying to put a fern in front of it🤦🏻‍♀️🌿💋

See the source image

...I am forced 🤭 ..well not really forced...but I feel it's my sworn duty to point out a slight irony here....the objection in the surround community is that it is fake surround or in this case....fake atmos....but the same people that cry foul in the name of purity are using processors and now a surround master to arrive at "fake surround"...and that's fine with me...but certainly a contradiction...

That comparison doesn’t make sense at all. Those who listen with the surround master or other decoders actually have speakers set up properly behind them. How is a soundbar, which sits in front of the listener, supposed to accurately create sound coming from behind, or even above?

That comparison doesn’t make sense at all. Those who listen with the surround master or other decoders actually have speakers set up properly behind them. How is a soundbar, which sits in front of the listener, supposed to accurately create sound coming from behind?

It was a broad based comparison...you are just focused on the sound bar itself...decoders and sound effects(concert hall..etc)on receivers simulate surround sound...that's the comparison...it isn't "real" surround sound...

It was a broad based comparison...you are just focused on the sound bar itself...decoders and sound effects(concert hall..etc)on receivers simulate surround sound...that's the comparison...it isn't "real" surround sound...

I have a soundbar which was packaged with a subwoofer in my summer home in the bedroom with my older Panny Plasma and AFAIK it gives you a very narrow FRONT CENTRIC soundstage ..... absolutely NO sense of a surround experience. But anything beats the tinny cheesy sound of the built in Panny speakers.

Anyone who expects ATMOS with a soundbar needs to have their head examined....or rather their EARS!

That comparison doesn’t make sense at all. Those who listen with the surround master or other decoders actually have speakers set up properly behind them. How is a soundbar, which sits in front of the listener, supposed to accurately create sound coming from behind, or even above?
The comparison isn't in technology, but rather purity of reproducing sound as it was recorded. The analogy made perfect sense to me.

I have a soundbar which was packaged with a subwoofer in my summer home in the bedroom with my older Panny Plasma and AFAIK it gives you a very narrow FRONT CENTRIC soundstage ..... absolutely NO sense of a surround experience. But anything beats the tinny cheesy sound of the built in Panny speakers.

Anyone who expects ATMOS with a soundbar needs to have their head examined....or rather their EARS!

Ralphie...I'm not advocating the use of sound bars...only explaining how they can help sell Atmos to the non tech Joe Public...but comparing that old soundbar you got 6 or 7 years ago isn't a fair comparison....there are soundbars that can simulate surround pretty well..but again...that's not the point...if it helps sell to the average Joe...we benefit....I remember when HD first became available...some of these Joe Public types bought the HD sets and never even bothered to upgrade their delivery system(cable or sat)o_O...

I'm not advocating the use of sound bars...only explaining how they can help sell Atmos to the non tech Joe Public...

I get your point that selling to the masses helps us, but back when 5.1 first came out, didn't plenty of "joe public" types invest in cheap home theater systems? Yet surround music still remains a niche hobby. I wouldn't expect this to change for Atmos.

I get your point that selling to the masses helps us, but back when 5.1 first came out, didn't plenty of "joe public" types invest in cheap home theater systems? Yet surround music still remains a niche hobby. I wouldn't expect this to change for Atmos.

I agree...I'm not saying it will succeed...only that it is the only way that it could have a chance...dealing with the film industry is a wild card...they won't even abandon the antiquated 24 frames per second...with today's equipment that is like entering a mule in the Indy 500...and the TV industry depends on them...and the music industry can ride the wave...for as long or as little as it lasts...I'm just hoping for some multi channel music to emerge before these companies move on to the next "big thing"....

It’s not like there’s a plethora of great 5.1 MC mixers out there. I can think of 5 that readily come to my mind: Scheiner, Wilson, Clearmountain, Jackson & Penny. That’s just off the top of my head and I’m certain I’m overlooking quite a few, but the point is that there aren’t a ton of people that can do a proper, satisfactory 5.1 mix and this is over the course of 15+ years of evidence.

Now we’re supposed to believe that there is a sufficient number of qualified MC mixers using 9-11 speaker arrays in position to deliver thousands of songs in one year? Color me doubtful.
I’d be remiss in not mentioning our own skherbeck amongst the elite 5.1 MC mixers!

while i haven't a scooby about Atmos and who's who in that world and i agree there aren't/weren't a ton of and not all 5.1 guys are/were superstars of the Wilson or Scheiner ilk (or that consistent, even the better surround engineers have/had their off days) i'd say there are/were more than 5 who know/knew their stuff.. i'd add people like Michael Bishop, Thom Cadley, Ken Caillat, Giancarlo Erra, Frank Filipetti, Steve Genewick, Paul Klingberg (patchy but the better mixes like EW&F's "Gratitude" are great), Nathaniel Kunkel, George Massenburg, Jim Newhouser, Alan Parsons, Kevin Paul, Ronald Prent, Robert Reed, the late Al Schmitt, Bruce Soord, David Tickle, Tony Visconti, Martin Walters, Tim Weidner (a couple of duffers but the Seal mixes are good) and our very own Neil Wilkes (hooray!).. anyway.. that's all history! bring on the new surround music, Atmos, 5.1, whatever! the more the merrier! :51QQ

Back