Universal Music to Remix Thousands of Songs Into Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that looks soo cool and soooo expensive! It's going to take a shitload of great albums, with great surround reviews, released exclusively in Atmos to get me to even think about spending that kind of money (I'm not rich :) )
But what if it is backward compatible with 5.1 (I guess it down mixes or provides alternative mixes?)

Wow, that looks soo cool and soooo expensive! It's going to take a shitload of great albums, with great surround reviews, released exclusively in Atmos to get me to even think about spending that kind of money (I'm not rich :) )

Baby steps my man.....you can start here or here ...if you like the result then move up to brands like the Klipcsh system...

But what if it is backward compatible with 5.1 (I guess it down mixes or provides alternative mixes?)
Atmos is totally backwards compatible if you have Dolby TrueHD capability (which is a standard Bluray format). If you play an Atmos recording on a 5.1 system it plays fine.

What I find fascinating about the Atmos Surround subject is the advertising of new equipment being offered to be able to listen to a proper Atmos Recording. The advertisers selling the equipment seem to be gearing there audience that can make this an actual affordable system. It reminds me of the 1990's when Phillips offered the first 5.1 surround and the small little cube speakers, it was a system in one box. I graduated from the one box system to what I have now which would be
un-affordable now for me to add matching speakers in an Atmos system. I say now that I won't purchase an Atmos system, but if I had another room and with these new prices being very affordable I believe I most certainly purchase a new Atmos system. The new in box Atmos systems seem to be really pushing the soundbar along with the other speakers, very interesting and exciting in a way. At the very least this could be the wave that the music industry has been looking for?
Here are two of the companys that seem to be doing a good job adverting there Atmos products.
Atmos Klipcsh
Nakamichi Shockwave

I have to hurry up and post this before Ralphie can see it 🤭 ...what people in the surround community have to realize is that in order for Atmos music releases to be possible it has to "catch on" with the video community...the movie crowd...because if it fails...Atmos Audio only releases won't survive...we aren't big enough to support it...and regardless of how you feel about sound bars...that is the only way it's going to make it out of the gate with the general public...if not it will be another "fad" like 3D and fail to gain the support needed to survive...

Last edited:
...what people in the surround community have to realize is that in order for Atmos music releases to be possible it has to "catch on" with the video community...the movie crowd...because if it fails...Atmos Audio only releases won't survive...
Couldn't find any Atmos consumer penetration figures, reliable or otherwise.

True Atmos systems in homes are rarities. Of course you can buy "Atmos" soundbars and the such, but no one that is truly interested in multichannel music will find that acceptable. Video enthusiasts shouldn't either, but most people just want the latest and greatest logo in their gear.

Couldn't find any Atmos consumer penetration figures, reliable or otherwise.

True Atmos systems in homes are rarities. Of course you can buy "Atmos" soundbars and the such, but no one that is truly interested in multichannel music will find that acceptable. Video enthusiasts shouldn't either, but most people just want the latest and greatest logo in their gear.

It's too early for any meaningful figures on Atmos...my point was that "enthusiasts" either video or audio aren't the target...both camps aren't enough compared to mainstream buyers...that want the "new tech"...most don't even know what it is...all they need to know is that the wife approves of the soundbar "thingy" and it sounds good and very little to hook up...that's the target...not audiophiles or videophiles...we need them for the exact reasons you cited...people deeply involved in audio aren't going to be interested in those systems...like I've said before...we need to ride their coattails...it's happened before...video has helped the audio world.....I remember the first time I heard a VHS-HI FI demo in an audio store...they had Footloose playing...and I stopped an said ...Whoa......then Laser Disc....

I have to hurry up and post this before Ralphie can see it 🤭 ...what people in the surround community have to realize is that in order for Atmos music releases to be possible it has to "catch on" with the video community...the movie crowd...because if it fails...Atmos Audio only releases won't survive...we aren't big enough to support it...and regardless of how you feel about sound bars...that is the only way it's going to make it out of the gate with the general public...if not it will be another "fad" like 3D and fail to gain the support needed to survive...
Isn't it also becoming a standard in the movie theatres/studios via speaker installations, and then by default carried onto the consumer media (Blu-ray?)

Isn't it also becoming a standard in the movie theatres/studios via speaker installations, and then by default carried onto the consumer media (Blu-ray?)

That's that there "video community" I spoke of...the movie crowd...yes RIGHT now the movie industry is embracing it...until they don't...fickled those folks are...they are behind it until the next "wizbang" do dad shows up...

That's that there "video community" I spoke of...the movie crowd...yes RIGHT now the movie industry is embracing it...until they don't...fickled those folks are...they are behind it until the next "wizbang" do dad shows up...
I wouldn't say never, but I'm happy with my 5.1 system; however I've never heard a proper mix for these newer spatial/height speaker systems except in a movie theatre, and I wasn't that impressed. (Ignorance is bliss perhaps?)
I actually have an unusual set-up at my main home system due to room layout. My rears are ceiling speakers at a 9' height, the center channel is over the TV at nearly 6' and my fronts are at about 2' off the floor. I've adjusted via the AVR for distance and have come to enjoy some of the different types of sound imaging that I get like some instruments showing up near the ceiling and more spatial activity out into the room.
I'm sure some here are horrified by the thought of this setup (Ralphie?), but it works for me.

I wouldn't say never, but I'm happy with my 5.1 system; however I've never heard a proper mix for these newer spatial/height speaker systems except in a movie theatre, and I wasn't that impressed. (Ignorance is bliss perhaps?)
I actually have an unusual set-up at my main home system due to room layout. My rears are ceiling speakers at a 9' height, the center channel is over the TV at nearly 6' and my fronts are at about 2' off the floor. I've adjusted via the AVR for distance and have come to enjoy some of the different types of sound imaging that I get like some instruments showing up near the ceiling and more spatial activity out into the room.
I'm sure some here are horrified by the thought of this setup (Ralphie?), but it works for me.
I think that's why surround enthusiasts tend to have widely varying opinions about a lot of mixes... because many of us have "non-standard" surround placement and speaker arrays (I know I do)... it might also contribute to why surround hasn't caught on as much as I think it should have; the average person gets their box system home, sets it up as best they can, probably doesn't calibrate the sweet spot, puts in a "fantastic" surround mix of a classic Rush album from their youth (Hemispheres), and wonders why they wasted all that money!

Sounds like you have already ventured into the "heights" arena:) everybody has a different listening environment...whatever works for you(y)

I think that's why surround enthusiasts tend to have widely varying opinions about a lot of mixes... because many of us have "non-standard" surround placement and speaker arrays (I know I do)... it might also contribute to why surround hasn't caught on as much as I think it should have; the average person gets their box system home, sets it up as best they can, probably doesn't calibrate the sweet spot, puts in a "fantastic" surround mix of a classic Rush album from their youth (Hemispheres), and wonders why they wasted all that money!

You are spot on about speaker placement...but let's go beyond that...the shape of your room and the materials in the room....hardwood floors...area rugs...carpet..drapes..blinds.....all these things matter...and something I have been thinking about lately...what about the surround mixers in their studio...we are always wondering why we have to "tweak" some of these releases...raise this or that by 3db....think about it...they operate in a completely different environment...just recently some were wondering why a prominent engineer was using a speaker that many thought was poor...but he wanted a flat response...we have all seen the pictures of these guys in their studio environment or home studio environment...does our listening environment look anything like that...mine sure doesn't....I'm not saying some mixes like Hemispheres should get a free pass...because those aren't minor tweaks to fix that one...but I'm beginning to understand how those small tweaks are necessary...of course the better engineers do seem to need fewer tweaks...

U mean u don't have 6k lying around in change to drop on speakers...lol

Just kidding...neither do I

...of course the better engineers do seem to need fewer tweaks...
Yeah, I agree... I also get the feeling fewer speakers in a mix makes a difference with regards to listener consensus... more of us tend to agree when a good quad mix is a good quad mix (as opposed to 5.1 mixes)... I think it's more difficult to create a universally-liked 5.1 mix (which makes me wonder how much more difficult it will be to create universally-liked Atmos mixes... the more speakers, the more potential for "non-standardized" speaker placement!) Maybe that's why a Quad mix consistently remains at the top of the polls! And taken to it's ultimate extreme, pretty much everyone will agree whether a mono mix is good :)

...I think it's more difficult to create a universally-liked 5.1 mix (which makes me wonder how much more difficult it will be to create universally-liked Atmos mixes... the more speakers, the more potential for "non-standardized" speaker placement!

I guess I just don't really understand what's to gain by adding height channels to a music mix, unless it's incredibly dense music with dozens of layers (Talking Heads' Remain In Light or Yes' Close To The Edge, for example). If anything, I suspect it'll just make everything sound muddled and less discrete - it's not like they're gonna mix lead guitar in the ceiling.

Interesting quote from Elliot Scheiner regarding formats beyond 5.1:
Six point one and 7.1 are not going to happen. When you have more than three front speakers everything gets just too close together and there's enormous phase shift. You can't determine or pinpoint where the information is coming from.

For me, the thrill of a good discrete mix is being able to pinpoint all the instruments. It's easy enough to just "fill the room" using a stereo source and a good decoder or DSP.

Last edited:
I guess I just don't really understand what's to gain by adding height channels to a music mix, unless it's incredibly dense with dozens of layers (Talking Heads's Remain In Light or Yes' Close To The Edge, for example). If anything, I suspect it'll just make everything sound muddled and less discrete - it's not like they're gonna mix lead guitar in the ceiling.

For me, the thrill of a good discrete mix is being able to pinpoint all the instruments. It's easy enough to just "fill the room" using a stereo source and a good decoder or DSP.
My experience with music in Atmos has been mainly positive, so far. Sometimes it is just more openness or vastness to the mix, but sometimes there is interesting/important stuff discretely up in the heights. Depends on the artist and engineer.
I only have a couple of Atmos or Auro titles that make me shrug, like there's not much difference between it and a 4.0 - 7.1 mix.

I guess I just don't really understand what's to gain by adding height channels to a music mix, unless it's incredibly dense music with dozens of layers (Talking Heads's Remain In Light or Yes' Close To The Edge, for example). If anything, I suspect it'll just make everything sound muddled and less discrete - it's not like they're gonna mix lead guitar in the ceiling.

I agree with you, and with regard to the Atmos treatment of music tracks, the biggest impact I can foresee is with those tracks that have effects. Imagine some of the Floyd stuff where a wind effect or a jet plane might come from overhead.

Back