Universal Music to Remix Thousands of Songs Into Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And ATMOS wouldn't be NIFTY without some TAYLOR SWIFTY

See the source image

Upmixes no matter how good and how much real separation achieved, do not make me feel that I am in the studio with the recording team listening to the group put down their final over-dubs while listening to the playback of sub-groups off the mixing board. Good 5.1 or quad really get one closer to the studio performance as it really is.

I’m not sure upmixes can ever be so authentic. Maybe it depends on how well it’s done.

I’ve really enjoyed the fact that 2016, 17, 18, and 19 brought us quite a bit of the real stuff. I’d hate for Dolby to come along and show that real 5.1 from multitrack tapes is the old way to do it, and now there is a much less expensive way that is so good nobody can tell the difference. Who needs to bother with multis when you have the new Dolby method! On a “sound bar” nobody could yell the difference is what they will tell us.

You are wrong if you think upmixes can't sound authentic..and actually calling some of these titles done by Holland123 or skherbeck upmixes is a disservice..the idea that just because a job is done by so called "professionals" with more resources that it is better has been disproven on a much too regular basis..

Last edited:
You are wrong if you think upmixes can't sound authentic..and actually calling some of these titles done by Holland123 or skherbeck upmixes is a disservice..the idea that just because a job is done by so called "professionals" with more resources that it is better has been disproven on a much too regular basis..
Thank you so much, my friend, for including me in such esteemed company as holland123, but he's the upmix master (the only way I know how to do upmixes is with SpecWeb, lol). The stuff I've shared with you are mixes from multitracks and stems :)
But I absolutely agree that upmixes can sound wonderful... I think the results depend on the source material, the method, and the upmixer... but in general I think the better the separation of elements in the stereo field (some elements panned far left/right, some just left/right of center, and some, such as vocals, dead center), the better the upmix possibilities.

I haven’t heard Holland123’s work, so far as labeled as such. So no you are wrong in me labeling his work as anything, up or down mixes or discreet stems. He even agreed that they are a rough ride without speaking of any titles in particular. Skherbeck mixing studio or extraction tools - no never heard them.

You know what, you should leave me alone and not comment when you have no positive things to say to me.

I did get a triple bakers dozen Rockband and Guitar Hero assorted sync-ups (songs) from who knows where, and none of them are captivating in a Steven Wilson way. And only the one album I mentioned (Beatles) was quite compelling for a fan mix.

Surely there are some out there that a really “interesting” and “fun” in a most discreet way. Holland may be the author of some of these, it’s not known. In fact it’s not really open for discussion about "who" did what in the underground world of pirated material. Surely you should know this by now.

Last edited:
Others have already done the RockBand sync-ups right. I think a have a few dozen of them in surround. Never heard one reach Steven Wilson quality in the channel assignment. It should be easy to do if one has the good taste and time to do it. The complete Abbey Road Album was one of the best I’ve heard.
But there s a mountainous difference between stems and separations. It is far more work to separate sounds than it is to just mix multis.

Actually, no. It's not a term which reflects quality but rather is one that describes the origin of the material.

And ATMOS wouldn't be NIFTY without some TAYLOR SWIFTY
There is plenty of compelling music being made today. I hope that Universal/Dolby consider artistic merit as well as commercial popularity. Was "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" the biggest hit of 2002? Was "American Beauty" the biggest album of 1971? (That would be the Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack.) Good music is made in every era including the current one. You just have to know how to find it. Same as it ever was.

But there s a mountainous difference between stems and separations. It is far more work to separate sounds than it is to just mix multis.
I know, but it is not well known how many or which Rockband elements are extractions and which as multis. That is all we were discussing. And at the same time, mixing something into compelling 4.0 or 5.1 etc. is a real art not everyone has the skill or good taste. H123's work was not in question. But mixing can be very involved, maybe just as much work?

I haven’t heard Holland123’s work, so far as labeled as such. So no you are wrong in me labeling his work as anything, up or down mixes or discreet stems. He even agreed that they are a rough ride without speaking if any titles in particular. Skherbeck mixing studio or extraction tools - no never heard them.

You know what, you should leave me alone and not comment when you have no positive things to say to me. You sound bitter and aggravated and it’s not due to my forum presence. You are old and bitter.

I did get a triple bakers dozen Rockband and Guitar Hero assorted sync-ups (songs) from who knows where, and none of them are captivating in a Steven Wilson way. And only the one album I mentioned (Beatles) was quite compelling for a fan mix.

Surely there are some out there that a really “interesting” and “fun” in a most discreet way. Holland may be the author of some of these, it’s not known. In fact it’s not really open for discussion about who did what in the underground world of pirated material. Surely you should know this by now.

Are you off your medication?...
Actually, no. It's not a term which reflects quality but rather is one that describes the origin of the material.

Normally I would agree with that word useage...but we are dealing with "rain man"...so I doubt it...

Last edited:
I haven’t heard Holland123’s work, so far as labeled as such. So no you are wrong in me labeling his work as anything, up or down mixes or discreet stems. He even agreed that they are a rough ride without speaking of any titles in particular. Skherbeck mixing studio or extraction tools - no never heard them.

You know what, you should leave me alone and not comment when you have no positive things to say to me.

Surely there are some out there that a really “interesting” and “fun” in a most discreet way. Holland may be the author of some of these, it’s not known. In fact it’s not really open for discussion about "who" did what in the underground world of pirated material. Surely you should know this by now.

You want to be left alone?...actually you usually are because most people either laugh at your posts or just ignore them...but sometimes you become so obnoxious that it leaves some of us no choice but to respond....even steeydave got tired of your negative nonsense on the Dutton thread and took you to task....and then your exchange with fredblue in which you intimated you had some "master of the world" disorder that enables you to see things us mere mortals couldn't see...trust me...I actually did :ROFLMAO:...I certainly wouldn't dispute the "disorder" part...I would tend to favor narcissistic tendencies...

Let me help you understand...you made a blank statement about "upmixes"...without any qualifiers....and then you admit that you have never heard the work of the members I mentioned....making those broad assertions is the problem....not every professional mix is better than an upmix/non studio mix....that's the problem....

So to wrap this up...I should leave you alone UNLESS I have positive things to say about you?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...and BTW...even though you tried to edit out your proclamation that I was "OLD AND BITTER"...it still remains visible...again...evidence that you aren't the self proclaimed genius that you think you are..

Last edited:
I know, but it is not well known how many or which Rockband elements are extractions and which as multis. That is all we were discussing. And at the same time, mixing something into compelling 4.0 or 5.1 etc. is a real art not everyone has the skill or good taste. H123's work was not in question. But mixing can be very involved, maybe just as much work?
I don't disagree with any of that, I was just clarifying the difference.

not every professional mix is better than an upmix/non studio mix....that's the problem....
"Better" is a problematic term at best. That said, I'm sure even the most prolific upmixer would jump at the chance to have the multis if they were available. That's not a knock on upmixes, just an acknowledgement of reality.

Do discs with “Dolby Atmos” mixes usually have 5.1 mixes as well? Or 7.1 mixes? I have no plans to buy more speakers, but I would purchase music mixed in 7.1 that I could reduce to 5.1 manually using Audacity.

I'm sure you wouldn't even need to do anything in Audacity, your receiver should do the work. But it might be important to note that Atmos isn't the same as 7.1; it's usually 5.1.2 or 7.1.2, i.e. the speakers are not in the same places.

Back