Universal Music to Remix Thousands of Songs Into Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello.

This Atmos mix concept might be excellent with a bit of refinement; given the current technology and situation.

I'm thinking blurays - and possibly downloads - where there are essentially three main audio choices:
- Dolby Atmos
- Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (the Atmos core?)
- Stereo

That way there is something for everyone, no matter how primitive or advanced their system; that can only something on most standard bluray players. The broader population being more interested in video using similar technology is our friend.

People don't need to be nerds like us to enjoy it: and can enjoy it at their level - and that level can always change. As an obscure example, I've had the R.E.M. DVDA's since their release; initially was only accessing stero content - years later, as technology became more accessible and I could afford it, I unlocked the uncompressed 5.1 and... wow. Hooked on surround for life.

Most other surround formats haven't quite hit the mark, no matter how awesome. Sacd's player requirements and inflexibility. Dvda's player requirements and minimal market outside of us. The bluray pure audio thing was mainly stereo and expensive, not offering much over a well cooked CD. Bluray outside of ones involving video has not been widely used (we love Steve, of course).

Anyway, who knows if anything will come of this but... it could be the best chance yet to have a flexible, well supported format that includes surround sound.

Another thing is, even if some of you don't have atmos but have a 7.1 system, these mixes will give you an extra 2 channels over any previous 5.1 mixes of the same song (and IMO more channels are always better) so even just gaining 2 channels should be enough for anyone to want these atmos mixes to happen.

Another thing is, even if some of you don't have atmos but have a 7.1 system, these mixes will give you an extra 2 channels over any previous 5.1 mixes of the same song (and IMO more channels are always better) so even just gaining 2 channels should be enough for anyone to want these atmos mixes to happen.
I have an Atmos capable amp but currently running as 7.1 - I would welcome this. A bit like the DTS DVD-As I had before getting a DVD-A player. I got to enjoy the 5.1 mixes in DTS before upgrading to MLP mixes with the DVD-A capable player.

Last June, Acura shared this post on its Facebook page. At that time, I was hoping that it was a teaser for additional music content that would be in a format supported by the new ELS Studio 3D Audio System. As far as I know, I have not seen or heard anything else related to this post. Am I foolish to think that Elliott Scheiner has been working on Atmos mixes at Capitol?

Attachments

• BD43DB6A-DD48-4A16-84F3-CD44F0E390BC.jpeg
    BD43DB6A-DD48-4A16-84F3-CD44F0E390BC.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 245
Last June, Acura shared this post on its Facebook page. At that time, I was hoping that it was a teaser for additional music content that would be in a format supported by the new ELS Studio 3D Audio System. As far as I know, I have not seen or heard anything else related to this post. Am I foolish to think that Elliott Scheiner has been working on Atmos mixes at Capitol?

Why else would Elliot's name be utilized in that context ..... he's hardly a household name among car enthusiasts. Great news, indeed.

I thought he retired, or did he get pulled back in?

Apparently, JP, the ad in question was posted in June 2018 so I would imagine ES is still pursuing 'pet projects...' Perhaps total retirement didn't suit him and he's doing occasional remixes to 'augment' his retirement income. Hope so!

Maybe those roof speakers we have in the RDX will someday become real Atmos channels. Would that not be a surprise!

Jon...have there ever addressed the previous issues you were having...I believe you mentioned a firmware that went wrong...

It's fixed from being horrible, and is much better, but there are still a few bugs. The 2020's are actually out now, so I would expect we'll get another update soon. Any Atmos update won't be for a while. Maybe in the next generation of system. :(

It's fixed from being horrible, and is much better, but there are still a few bugs. The 2020's are actually out now, so I would expect we'll get another update soon. Any Atmos update won't be for a while. Maybe in the next generation of system. :(
Since Acura uses the standard MOST bus, it may be more of a matter of an update to that standard versus a hardware issue.

Since Acura uses the standard MOST bus, it may be more of a matter of an update to that standard versus a hardware issue.

True. Most of the past and current issues were/are not with the ELS system, but with the MOST bus. They have little to do with it once it leaves their engineering.

What I find fascinating about the Atmos Surround subject is the advertising of new equipment being offered to be able to listen to a proper Atmos Recording. The advertisers selling the equipment seem to be gearing there audience that can make this an actual affordable system. It reminds me of the 1990's when Phillips offered the first 5.1 surround and the small little cube speakers, it was a system in one box. I graduated from the one box system to what I have now which would be
un-affordable now for me to add matching speakers in an Atmos system. I say now that I won't purchase an Atmos system, but if I had another room and with these new prices being very affordable I believe I most certainly purchase a new Atmos system. The new in box Atmos systems seem to be really pushing the soundbar along with the other speakers, very interesting and exciting in a way. At the very least this could be the wave that the music industry has been looking for?
Here are two of the companys that seem to be doing a good job advertising there Atmos products.
Atmos Klipcsh
Nakamichi Shockwave

Last edited:
What I find fascinating about the Atmos Surround subject is the advertising of new equipment being offered to be able to listen to a proper Atmos Recording. The advertisers selling the equipment seem to be gearing there audience that can make this an actual affordable system. It reminds me of the 1990's when Phillips offered the first 5.1 surround and the small little cube speakers, it was a system in one box. I graduated from the one box system to what I have now which would be
un-affordable now for me to add matching speakers in an Atmos system. I say now that I won't purchase an Atmos system, but if I had another room and with these new prices being very affordable I believe I most certainly purchase a new Atmos system. The new in box Atmos systems seem to be really pushing the soundbar along with the other speakers, very interesting and exciting in a way. At the very least this could be the wave that the music industry has been looking for?
Here are two of the companys that seem to be doing a good job adverting there Atmos products.
Atmos Klipcsh
Nakamichi Shockwave
Wow, that looks soo cool and soooo expensive! It's going to take a shitload of great albums, with great surround reviews, released exclusively in Atmos to get me to even think about spending that kind of money (I'm not rich :) )

Back