Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the welcome and that the oil-can delay is of interest.

There is a persistent rumor the oil used as a lubricant in the device had PCB's, to the best of my research that is just an urban myth.

Hello. My name is Jeff. I have a Pioneer QX-949 that I use as a stereo. I picked it up at an estate sale last year. It's a great receiver. Looking for help with it led me to this forum.
Welcome aboard. We have a diverse set of skills on this forum. Let us know what you need, and there’s a good chance we’ll cure what ails ya.

Hello all. New kid in town here, big lover of multichannel mixes and a dedicated life long prog rock fanatic who is working on getting an Atmos set up here at home. Favourites are King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant and Steven Wilson. Pleased to be here! Cheers 🍻
Pleased you’re here as well. My Atmos setup is also in the works, hopefully in less than a year as long as life doesn’t get in the way too much.

Hello, I just joined the group to help understand the quad world. I recently picked up and had serviced a Sansui QRX 5500. It sounds pretty good ( my speakers are not great at this time). I have only been using steaming or cd inputs and using the synthesized surround settings as I don't have a 4 channel input source. I don't understand how you get 4 channel input source other than real to real but I have not been looking for too long yet.

Hello, I just joined the group to help understand the quad world. I recently picked up and had serviced a Sansui QRX 5500. It sounds pretty good ( my speakers are not great at this time). I have only been using steaming or cd inputs and using the synthesized surround settings as I don't have a 4 channel input source. I don't understand how you get 4 channel input source other than real to real but I have not been looking for too long yet.
Welcome, berge. There were manufactured, but generally hard to find Q8 tapes (quad 8 track). There are CD-4 & SQ encoded LP's, etc etc.
A good look around Discogs might reveal some things to you.

Hi berge, welcome aboard. My system is strictly digital and I’m not personally familiar with legacy equipment like the Sansui QRX 5500 (though there are people here who surely are). Assuming, however, that the Sansui has analog inputs for quad, I would suggest looking at older OPPO blu ray players. The BDP-93 and BDP-83 series models should do the trick if they have analog outputs. There are a least a couple currently up on eBay for far less than crazy money(I have no financial stake in any of them).

Edit: The Rhino Quadio reissue series has quad releases in blu ray format. Four are released every 3 months. Also, Dutton Vocalion sells quad reissues in SACD format(the OPPO 83 and 93 series play SACDs).

Last edited:
Hi berge, welcome aboard. My system is strictly digital and I’m not personally familiar with legacy equipment like the Sansui QRX 5500 (though there are people here who surely are). Assuming, however, that the Sansui has analog inputs for quad, I would suggest looking at older OPPO blu ray players. The BDP-93 and BDP-83 series models should do the trick if they have analog outputs. There are a least a couple currently up on eBay for far less than crazy money(I have no financial stake in any of them).
....and the Oppo BDP-80 and back a ways.

There’s a wealth of multi-channel material out there, although compatible hardware can be a challenge. My Oppo 105 is the workhorse for digital sources, including streaming, but if you’re trying to extract the surround from SQ or QS LPs, I’d recomment picking up a surround master from Involve Audio - they are still in production. The CD4 LPs require a special decoder, pickup, and stylus, along with a significant amount of patience.

Attachments

• Pathways2 trim.jpg
    Pathways2 trim.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 0

Edit: The Rhino Quadio reissue series has quad releases in blu ray format. Four are released every 3 months. Also, Dutton Vocalion sells quad reissues in SACD format(the OPPO 83 and 93 series play SACDs).
Thanks, I will look into those. i am not currently pursuing analog sources but I am liking this quad receiver. Discs and streaming seem to me to be the better option though I I don't understand it yet. Why can't any Blu-ray player with individual rca channels for two fronts and two rear channels work?

Just my thoughts, but have you ever heard of the Dave Hafler circuit? Just Google it. It's easy and all you need is 2 more spkrs. Since hardly any bass comes though, small bookshelf speakers work great!👍 Hope this helps. It's all I use anymore. Essentially it takes the difference between the left and right speakers and runs it through a series of two rear speakers. It only works for a stereo signal, as mono has no difference between the right and left channels.

Just my thoughts, but have you ever heard of the Dave Hafler circuit? Just Google it. It's easy and all you need is 2 more spkrs. Since hardly any bass comes though, small bookshelf speakers work great!👍 Hope this helps. It's all I use anymore. Essentially it takes the difference between the left and right speakers and runs it through a series of two rear speakers. It only works for a stereo signal, as mono has no difference between the right and left channels.
I could give that a try in a different room with my two channel but since I have the quad receiver I am interested in what a discrete sound would be as it was recorded if it was recorded in quad. Thanks

Thanks, I will look into those. i am not currently pursuing analog sources but I am liking this quad receiver. Discs and streaming seem to me to be the better option though I I don't understand it yet. Why can't any Blu-ray player with individual rca channels for two fronts and two rear channels work?
Well actually, the issue is that most blu ray players these days have only HDMI connections. The trick is to find one with RCA outs, and then also (as a major bonus) find one that also plays SACDs. After that you’ll be all set(mostly).

Back