WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upper end certainly of what I want to pay. One of the few albums I would dip into at that price. Definitely when you compare content against King Crimson boxes or The recent Pineapple Theif is a rip off but still.

At least I'm not being forced to buy vinyl as well can you imagine how much it would cost

Another bad example of an overpriced set like Pink Floyd's DSOTM 50anni and those recent Rush releases.
No, I do not buy this!

Record companies: shame on you!

I'll support labels like KCSOPE instead.

For better or worse, we don't have a choice of what record company releases what box. Maybe I would buy a KSCOPE Who's Next box, but that isn't happening, so UMG it is.

When money is NO object, a set like this is a NO~BRAINER! But keep in mind that in 2017 When OPPO debuted their 203/205 'swan song' Universal players, money did seem to be an object and a lot of potential customers balked at the price.

And now for the price of this set and another 'bloated' set [i.e. Kiss Destroyer] one could've easily at least afforded the OPPO 203 ...which in hindsight, is still commanding BIG BUCKS on the used markets...and combined with the 205 ARE STILL VERY MUCH SOUGHT AFTER!

Also keep in mind, with D~V still in the race and offering exceptionally well mastered 2~fer QUAD SACDs for under$17[US]and now RHINO'S renewed Quadio Pure Audio BD~A releases of 70's music for $20 each [when purchased as a bundle], the inclusion of a single Pure Audio BD~A in a massive box set does seem a bit 'extravagant!'

I hope this set does sell well but would hope in the future, the majors/artists would set aside greed and make their music more affordable by releasing their Pure Audio BD~As as stand alone releases because as we are living in ultra inflationary times, it would be meritorious to make these much sought after Surround releases affordable to the general public...who have bills to pay and mouths to feed!

It's certainly interesting looking back at the activity in this thread over the last year-and-a-half. We start off with folks hoping and praying for a surround mix (comments like "it's a holy grail title"), then there's excitement around the revelation that Steven Wilson would be doing the surround mixes, then panic over some (apparently uniformed) insider's comments over at SHF that the set would not include a Blu-Ray disc, and now the set is finally announced - with the Blu-Ray, no less - and the overall vibe seems to be at its most dour :unsure:
It’s most dour because the cost of this box set is way over priced and everyone on this thread would have bought it if the boxset set was just overpriced ($125 - $150) not $300 which is not even reasonable to most people. You did not say this but others have: Just telling people not to buy the box set will not help with the disapointment some of us have.

It’s most dour because the cost of this box set is way over priced and everyone on this thread would have bought it if the boxset set was just overpriced ($125 - $150) not $300 which is not even reasonable to most people. You did not say this but others have: Just telling people not to buy the box set will not help with the disapointment some of us have.

Is it overpriced?

I believe list on the Sell Out box was $130, and that was only 5 CDs. This is double that, plus the BD.

Would $250 be more reasonable? Possibly. But $150 seems really low for a box set this large.

It's certainly interesting looking back at the activity in this thread over the last year-and-a-half. We start off with folks hoping and praying for a surround mix (comments like "it's a holy grail title"), then there's excitement around the revelation that Steven Wilson would be doing the surround mixes, then panic over some (apparently uniformed) insider's comments over at SHF that the set would not include a Blu-Ray disc, and now the set is finally announced - with the Blu-Ray, no less - and the overall vibe seems to be at its most dour :unsure:
True…once the evil specter of price gouging reared its ugly head, all the unicorns & rainbows faded from view 😈
I for one was praying for a surround mix of this stone cold classic - probably my favorite Who album (I don’t claim to be a Who expert) - but if Post #1 said “There will be a Blu-Ray. Steven Wilson will bless us with a surround mix. It will cost you $350.”…my mood would have been pretty dour from the git-go.
Economics does play a role, after all 🤑

Is it overpriced?

I believe list on the Sell Out box was $130, and that was only 5 CDs. This is double that, plus the BD.

Would $250 be more reasonable? Possibly. But $150 seems really low for a box set this large.
Yeah, but look how cheap CD’s sell for now in comparison to vinyl. For the current price, it should contain all vinyl. Or, both CD’s and vinyl.

Is it overpriced?

$150 only seems reasonable compared to $300. $150 for 5 cds and paper Is also greatly overpriced. The who sell out deluxe didn‘t even have a surround disc.

Is it overpriced?

Well, the idea is to tailor a box set to a certain price point. If that means leaving out some of the books, marbles, and miniature cars, then so be it. The price certainly becomes an issue for many once it gets above $200 (maybe even $150).
Even people who can afford it start thinking,,,, "What kind of a fool do they think I am?"

Of course, the way we all buy and re-buy the same albums over and over in various configurations would seem foolish to the majority of the population, but here we are. So it's all about where the line is drawn for each of us. When you price it north of $300 that raises the line dramatically.

Yeah, but look how cheap CD’s sell for now in comparison to vinyl. For the current price, it should contain all vinyl. Or, both CD’s and vinyl.
Yeah, Perp, but it's doing the research of locating ALL those master tapes and then remastering them that cost $$$$$$ ... and don't forget that 100 page book? When the price comes down to half [$175] I'm sure all the naysayers just might bite! 🐬

And I'm glad it doesn't contain any vinyl.

For better or worse, deluxe box sets are where the industry currently is, for the most part. They heyday of cheap CDs with a bunch of bonus tracks in the racks at any Best Buy seems to be behind us, unfortunately. The physical media landscape simply isn't what it used to be.

$150 only seems reasonable compared to $300. $150 for 5 cds and paper Is also greatly overpriced. The who sell out deluxe didn‘t even have a surround disc.

It didn't. Surround is a niche market within a niche market.

And I'm not sure how overpriced that is. Box sets have almost always cost more than what the combined cost of individual discs would be.

And I'm glad it doesn't contain any vinyl.

For better or worse, deluxe box sets are where the industry currently is, for the most part. They heyday of cheap CDs with a bunch of bonus tracks in the racks at any Best Buy seems to be behind us, unfortunately. The physical media landscape simply isn't what it used to be.. Surround is a niche market within a niche market.

And I'm not sure how overpriced that is.
Surround is a niche market within a niche market.
So because surround is a niche market companies should price gouge us. Come on.

So because surround is a niche market companies should price gouge us. Come on.

More like if you want the surround, you need the box (or stream it).

I'm not sure how that's any different from any other box set with unreleased material, ever. It's very, very, very rare that the unique material gets released independently outside of the box. I mean, Who fans have been clamoring for Time Is Passing in stereo for 25 years, and for better or for worse, the only way to get that is in the box. And that's not unusual.

More like if you want the surround, you need the box (or stream it).

I'm not sure how that's any different from any other box set with unreleased material, ever. It's very, very, very rare that the unique material gets released independently outside of the box. I mean, Who fans have been clamoring for Time Is Passing in stereo for 25 years, and for better or for worse, the only way to get that is in the box. And that's not unusual.
The Grateful Dead box sets are similar: they usually bundle a handful of shows from the same week/month, but only one show gets a wide release. Want the rest? Get the box.

Back