WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're comparing a Pineapple Thief release to one of the greatest albums of all times?
No, I'm comparing the amount of work done by Steven Wilson and Bruce Soord and the number of discs included in each. I'd prefer to pay for work done (remixing, remastering, editing) and physical objects (discs, book) rather than for hype/greed. Yes, Who's Next is one the greatest album of all times, I have it on CD (a good copy from what I read), but the artists have had their share of royalties for this album during the last 50 years.

No, I'm comparing the amount of work done by Steven Wilson and Bruce Soord and the number of discs included in each.
Steven Wilson's remixing work is just one portion of the Who's Next box. How do you value the contributions of other people involved in this reissue like Richard Whittaker, Jon Astley, Jamie Howarth, etc?

It's certainly interesting looking back at the activity in this thread over the last year-and-a-half. We start off with folks hoping and praying for a surround mix (comments like "it's a holy grail title"), then there's excitement around the revelation that Steven Wilson would be doing the surround mixes, then panic over some (apparently uniformed) insider's comments over at SHF that the set would not include a Blu-Ray disc, and now the set is finally announced - with the Blu-Ray, no less - and the overall vibe seems to be at its most dour :unsure:
I predict that the vibe will undergo some changes when the prices begin to come down. I also anticipate that the reviews here and elsewhere of the songs and mixes will also eventually add to a more positive vibe. In truth, we always knew that this box set was going to be expensive. Whether or not to part with one's hard-earned cash is clearly a personal decision. Anyway you look at it, having a blu ray in existence that contains so much interesting and long awaited music, plus stereo and surround mixes from Steven Wilson AND not subject to the impermanent whims of streaming has to count as a big win.

Following up on a few things I previously wrote:

1) The final multitracks of 1 to 3 songs from the original album are missing.

2) Earlier generation tapes, without final overdubs, do exist, and Pete is recording new overdubs to facilitate remixes.

To clarify:

- Apparently no multitracks are available for Bargain. Steven Wilson used the stereo mix for his surround mixes.
- An early/pre-bounce 8-track exists for The Song Is Over. Pete recorded new overdubs to replicate was missing for Wilson's remixes.
- The final 8-track was apparently located for Getting In Tune, so no extractions or new overdubs necessary there.

It remains to be seen what tracks got remixed.

Heaven & Hell and Time Is Passing are both quite unlikely, for example.

Not remixed by Wilson, but the 8-track for Heaven & Hell *was* located and mixed to stereo.

Yeah, Perp, but it's doing the research of locating ALL those master tapes and then remastering them that cost $$$$$$ ... and don't forget that 100 page book? When the price comes down to half [$175] I'm sure all the naysayers just might bite! 🐬
Ralphie, you had me until you mentioned the 100 page book. I would easily have foregone the book and printed posters and programs in exchange for a lower price.

Ralphie, you had me until you mentioned the 100 page book. I would easily have foregone the book and printed posters and programs in exchange for a lower price.
I was simply being 'cheeky,' Mr. E! Most of those massive tomes that accompany those box sets are unread by me. I'm in it for the MUSIC in a dimly lit room where even if I wanted to read those pages .... eye fatigue would eventually set in! 👀

Who's Next? To put out a deluxe 755 disc set with 8,000 page book, but also offer a single stand-alone Atmos Blu-ray?
Not likely the Who...... becoming not likely to be anybody. Big Boxes = Big BS

Well there's three box's I said I would buy if they ever came out and include Atmos and 5.1.
Who's Next
Dark Side and any Led Zeppelin. Well I didn't buy DSOTM and I'm not buying this one either because like everybody has been saying to much $.
At least give us a choice over priced box or stand alone disc. Now when it comes to Zep I'm buying no matter what!

Well there's three box's I said I would buy if they ever came out and include Atmos and 5.1.
Who's Next
Dark Side and any Led Zeppelin. Well I didn't buy DSOTM and I'm not buying this one either because like everybody has been saying to much $.
At least give us a choice over priced box or stand alone disc. Now when it comes to Zep I'm buying no matter what!
So to clarify, you would pay $350 for boxes of In Through The Out Door or Presence? You are a seriously hard core Zep fanatic!

While I totally understand his decision, I have to admit that I was saddened to learn that @edisonbaggins wasn’t going to buy Who’s Next. I was honestly looking forward to seeing his unboxing and review videos, done as only Mike can!
Still time for baggins to change his mind. lol

While I totally understand his decision, I have to admit that I was saddened to learn that @edisonbaggins wasn’t going to buy Who’s Next. I was honestly looking forward to seeing his unboxing and review videos, done as only Mike can!
I've been taking feedback from folks in the Life in Surround Facebook group.
Gaining their perspectives, I think it might be worth biting the bullet and picking one up.
They've expressed value in reviewing sound quality for the CDs and especially the blu-ray. Especially the blu-ray Atmos mix vs. streaming Atmos.
I'm considering it.

Although not all specifically offered as such, we have the following options, certainly missing some that would have been preferred, but at least covering a variety of price points:

1. If you think it's worth it, buy it.
2. Wait a year and hope it comes down in price, as has often happened with these pricey box sets (Beatles, Rush, Kiss, etc.).
3. Buy it now and sell it used at a later date.
4. Keep an eye on ebay for someone willing to sell just the blu-ray.
5. Get the right streaming hardware and a streaming music subsciption and stream it.
6. If none of the above work for you, learn to live without it.

(I purposely left off any of the illegal and/or more unsavory options.)

I've been taking feedback from folks in the Life in Surround Facebook group.
Gaining their perspectives, I think it might be worth biting the bullet and picking one up.
They've expressed value in reviewing sound quality for the CDs and especially the blu-ray. Especially the blu-ray Atmos mix vs. streaming Atmos.
I'm considering it.
Considering your invaluable service to the Surround Community and music in general, UMG should send you a review copy GRATIS!

After all, without QQ Forum and fellas like you bringing awareness of SURROUND music to the worldwide net, we'd still be listening in S T E R E O!

Last edited:
Although not all specifically offered as such, we have the following options, certainly missing some that would have been preferred, but at least covering a variety of price points:

1. If you think it's worth it, buy it.
2. Wait a year and hope it comes down in price, as has often happened with these pricey box sets (Beatles, Rush, Kiss, etc.).
3. Buy it now and sell it used at a later date.
4. Keep an eye on ebay for someone willing to sell just the blu-ray.
5. Get the right streaming hardware and a streaming music subscription and stream it.
6. If none of the above work for you, learn to live without it.

(I purposely left off any of the illegal and/or more unsavory options.)
What about...

7. Figure out who bought it on this forum and we all go to their house to listen.

Well a tough decision (due to cost) to be sure but I have been waiting every since I started buying music in surround for The Who "Who's Next" (along with Zep) to get surrounded and now that vit's here I gotta have it. Pre ordered, T-shirt and all. On the upside not really so bad as I recently got PayPal credit and can use it and can take 6 months to pay it off, still expensive, but more manageable. I can survive this :eek: :sick::mad:;):) it will b OK (y)

Considering your invaluable service to the Surround Community and music in general, UMG should send you a review copy GRATIS!

After all, without QQ Forum and fellas like you bringing awareness of SURROUND music to the worldwide net, we'd still be listening in S T E R E O!
I appreciate your vote of confidence.

I do actually receive review copies of albums, though mainly from smaller labels and particularly from those passionate about surround.
But... I hear the bigger labels don't give you a look until you have 10k subscribers. We're almost 1/2 way there, and I'm doing what I can to make videos with integrity, not chase views or subscriptions, so we'll see.

In the meantime, LiS has a budget. It is finite, though not zero. Going in on releases like this is one reason I don't upgrade gear as often as I'd wish to. I feel the music comes first. Specific components, car audio and such someday.

Back