Worst Hit Radio Single Ever Recorded

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I woudn't really call this the worst...BUT...it is headscratcher....because with all the super groups in the 60's...and many awesome songs...HOW DID THIS SONG become #1 in the US in 1963...and it was in the top ten in 11 countries...

Better a singing nun than the ones we had. Their skill was smacking misbehaving kids with pointers and yardsticks. The really athletic ones were good at beaning people with chalkboard erasers. I was always impressed at how a 5'6" eight grader would cower when subjected to the ire of a 4'8" nun.

I woudn't really call this the worst...BUT...it is headscratcher....because with all the super groups in the 60's...and many awesome songs...HOW DID THIS SONG become #1 in the US in 1963...and it was in the top ten in 11 countries...

The early sixties were before the "super groups" and American society was still open to songs that were, perhaps, novelty in nature. Some of them have been posted here. Heck, "They're Coming To Take Me Away!" was number 3 on the Hot 100 and number 1 on Cash Box!

And then there was this:

Doug

The early sixties were before the "super groups" and American society was still open to songs that were, perhaps, novelty in nature. Some of them have been posted here. Heck, "They're Coming To Take Me Away!" was number 3 on the Hot 100 and number 1 on Cash Box!

And then there was this:

Doug

I had Ut Oh! among other novelty songs. Great stuff for little kids! So I would not classify any novelty song as a candidate for "Worst Single Ever." Think of it this way: Mom puts on a stack of these silly 45s on a changer; you stay glued in front of the player/console; she goes about her business in the house knowing that her child is totally preoccupied and knows where to find him/her.

I had "Uh! Oh!" and "Their Coming..." also and, uncharacteristically for me, lost track of them. It's weird because I still have all my other 45s from back then like "Purple People Eater", "Babysittin' Boogie", "Battle of New Orleans" etc.

Doug

And then there was this:

Doug

Probably capitalizing on The Chipmunks.

I have Shirley and Squirrelly on a CB's greatest songs album.

I noticed no one mentioned Timothy, a song about miners eating one of their own in desperation, a song written to try and capitalize off the controversy it expected to face. It's funnily enough, written by Rupert Holmes, who would later achieve success with the Piña Colada song.

Great video by Todd in the Shadows about that one, too:

I actually like that song!

I actually like that song!
Worst song..Minnie Ripperton Lovin You...
Glad to see you are posting...13 posts since 2014....none the first 8 years...the encouraging thing is you have posted 9 times this year. Please continue to contribute...there are plenty of topics....we need more active members:)

I have to cast my vote for Achy Breaky Heart. Dumbest. Song. Ever.
A couple of guys were about to be executed, and the warden asked for their last wishes. The first guy said, “I’d like to hear ‘Achy Breaky Heart’ one more time before I go.”

The second guy said “Shoot me first.”

Alan Sherman was primarily a comedian, singing parody songs for the most part. He also did a take on “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” which just might be an improvement on the original. “Hello Muddah” is on his album “Alan Sherman’s Mother Presents ‘My Son, the Folk Singer’”
we had "my son, the nut", which included this and eight foot two, solid blue. I loved the album as a kid and it still makes me smile when I hear the songs on it.

Alan Sherman was primarily a comedian, singing parody songs for the most part. He also did a take on “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” which just might be an improvement on the original. “Hello Muddah” is on his album “Alan Sherman’s Mother Presents ‘My Son, the Folk Singer’”
I associate "Hello Muddah" with Sunday Lunchtimes, as Dad would have the radio on (on what was The Light Programme!) and it was often played

Back