Steven Wilson Yes "Fragile" Super Deluxe Edition out in June with Dolby Atmos mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received it today.
BUT
No Blu-ray or its holder inside.
WTF
I've just emailed Burning Shed.
I know it's not their fault as you can't see what's inside.
Someone has messed up.
I hope it's a one off!!
Mine has arrived and just checked, it does have a BD, you must have got the Friday 4:59pm packed one!

Concerning "The Dean"... I am afraid this might turn out to be a mistake like "Unknown Balad" on ELP's Tarkus remix, where SW found an unknown piece of music on a master reel and thought it was an ELP recording (which it wasn't).

The Dean sounds nothing like Yes in that period. The singing is definitely not Jon Anderson's or Chris Squire's or even Steve Howe's vocals. Perhaps they let Rick or Bill have a go at the mic, but i seriously doubt that :ROFLMAO:. The drums don't sound like Bruford's playing either.

I wonder what it actually is, but if it really is Yes, I understand why they never developed it further. My bet is it is not Yes, but some other recording that was found on the reels.

Curious...
Indeed. Whatever 'The Dean' is, it sure doesn't sound like Yes to this long-time fan.

But (because all these tracks are now on Youtube) I can happily report that the new live 'Perpetual Change' and Long Distance Runaround/Fish' from 2/19/72 (Academy of Music, NYC, during Bruford's final tour) are indeed different from the Yessongs versions, which means the latter are from the second Academy of Music gig, 4 days later, 2/23/72.

Concerning "The Dean"... I am afraid this might turn out to be a mistake like "Unknown Balad" on ELP's Tarkus remix, where SW found an unknown piece of music on a master reel and thought it was an ELP recording (which it wasn't).
He didn't mix "The Dean" for this set.

Apparently 'The Dean' is a take from sessions for Terry Reid's third album River, which was recorded twice...first with Eddy Offord producing, later with Tom Dowd. The Dowd version is the one that got released, in 1972. A whole second album's worth of material came from those two River sessions, released for the first time in 2016 as The Other Side of the River, on which Offord and Dowd share production credits.

Confusingly, 'Dean' is the name of a track on River (1972), but 'The Dean' from this Yes set isn't that track. Instead, it sounds very much like a working version of 'Sabyla', the last track on The Other Side of the River.

Last edited:
I've been playing Roundabout over and over in Atmos. Just trying to truly absorb how this sounds. The surround effects are spectacular and very different than previous multi-channel versions. Somewhere near the 5 minute mark, where the drums roll through, holy cow, they go in the rear heights to amazing impact. Never have I heard something this impactful for this album.

Wow!

Just wait until you get to "Heart of the Sunrise" :)
Listening now. I'd say I'm nearly speechless. I don't honestly know if I've ever heard an Atmos mix with so much power coming from the heights. Makes me glad I have 4 matching Klipsch heights. They're getting a workout, more than most I've ever heard.

Spectacular. Wilson has really raised the bar on this.

OK, one more comment. lmao. As a complaint, the BDA holder is on the left side, and it gets some fairly pronounced indentations from the damn CD carriers on the right. Dumb. Why?
Yeah. I also hate how you have to kinda bend the cover to get them in those slots.

Man I wish I could figure a way to get some rear Atmos speakers arrayed at my house. Just have 2 upfiring Klipsch’s in the front.

Back