Your Stereo/Surround/Atmos System - Speaker Configuration & How Many Speakers?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Bruzonsky

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I thought it'd be interesting to find out what percent of the Quadraphonic Quad Forum's members have what speaker configurations & how many speakers. Don't need to know the rest of your components, whether your system is digital, analog, or a combination, how many subwoofers you have, etc. Just please answer which of the below apply to you based only on your current system or systems in your home & any second or vacation homes. It is assumed the folks with Dolby Atmos multiple speaker setups including heights have at least one subwoofer.

A. Soundbar without Dolby Atmos

B. Soundbar with Dolby Atmos

C. Stereo (2 speakers) including if you have a 2.0 or 2.1 system with subwoofer(s).

D. Quadraphonic (4 speakers) including if you have a 4.0 or 4.1 system with subwoofer(s)

E. 5.0 (5 speakers) including if you have a 5.0 or 5.1 system with subwoofer(s)

F. 7.0 (7 speakers) including if you have a 7.0 or 7.1 system with subwoofer(s)

G. 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system, with 5 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 2 ceiling/height speakers.

H. 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos system, with 5 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 4 ceiling/height speakers.

I. 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos system, with 7 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 2 ceiling/height speakers.

J. 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos system, with 7 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 4 ceiling/height speakers.

K. System with more than 7 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and/or more than 4 ceiling/height speakers.

In my one home, I have multiple systems: E, H and K.

How about you?

Upstairs - C&D combined 3.0 - 2 bookshelf speakers (front) + 2 computer speakers (back, wired together) [passive Hafler/DynaQuad speaker matrix]

Basement - D - 4.1 - trapezoid configuration (specifics in this post):
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...square-speaker-arrangement.36143/#post-783033

(considering getting a low priced soundbar for my old Sony Trinitron TV in the living room, or maybe I'll kludge something together with 2 boomboxes so I can have surround sound in my living room)

Kirk Bayne

F. 7.1 with a sub. This is in my home theater room.
Working on a dedicated quad set up in a spare bedroom that is now home to my 70's audio equipment, LP's and CD's

J. 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos system, with 7 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 4 ceiling/height speakers

I will say that good Atmos mixes are really, really outstanding with this setup. Some think Atmos is a "fad" but, just like The Beatles turned out to NOT be a fad, the combo of movie soundtracks AND music is what will keep Atmos around for a long time.

Well, functionally, my main room is E, 5.1, although I have the four ceiling speakers in place as part of the original build. I’m still using my non-atmos pre-pro and an old stereo amp driving the back channels, but I’m hoping to get the top layer functioning within a year.

Sort of H as mine is 5.0.4 (no Sub), so 4x full-range Monitor Audio Silver RS8 floorstanders and a matched Silver RS Centre and for heights 4x B&W M-1 mounted in the room corners.

I. 7.1.2, and the height speakers are on top of my L/R tall shelving units on either side of the TV, facing up and bouncing off the ceiling.

For serious Atmos listening I use a binaural headphone rig (Smyth Realiser A16), typically using a 10.1.6 configuration. That’s also the rig I use for true “quad” with speakers in the corners. In your listing, this is “K” (although it’s a binaural/virtual “K”).

I thought it'd be interesting to find out what percent of the Quadraphonic Quad Forum's members have what speaker configurations & how many speakers. Don't need to know the rest of your components, whether your system is digital, analog, or a combination, how many subwoofers you have, etc. Just please answer which of the below apply to you based only on your current system or systems in your home & any second or vacation homes. It is assumed the folks with Dolby Atmos multiple speaker setups including heights have at least one subwoofer.

A. Soundbar without Dolby Atmos

B. Soundbar with Dolby Atmos

C. Stereo (2 speakers) including if you have a 2.0 or 2.1 system with subwoofer(s).

D. Quadraphonic (4 speakers) including if you have a 4.0 or 4.1 system with subwoofer(s)

E. 5.0 (5 speakers) including if you have a 5.0 or 5.1 system with subwoofer(s)

F. 7.0 (7 speakers) including if you have a 7.0 or 7.1 system with subwoofer(s)

G. 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system, with 5 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 2 ceiling/height speakers.

H. 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos system, with 5 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 4 ceiling/height speakers.

I. 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos system, with 7 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 2 ceiling/height speakers.

J. 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos system, with 7 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 4 ceiling/height speakers.

K. System with more than 7 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and/or more than 4 ceiling/height speakers.

In my one home, I have multiple systems: E, H and K.

How about you?
H

I am too forum illiterate to figure that out unfortunately!

No worries, Steve. Repetition is the mother of retention anyway, so we all probably benefit from multiple threads. Now...what was it that I was going to say?

Oh yes, now I remember. My 7.0.4 system (no subwoofer, yet giant front speakers with 2 x 12" woofers in each), I sometimes find myself boosting the bass of the fronts a couple of dB to get what I determine to be acceptable low bass levels. I've never had the issue with 4.0, 5.1 or 7.1.

[Edit: I noticed that a number of you have multiple systems. I am banished to the basement where my only system resides. I guess I could set up something in the tool shed. LOL]

Back