Your Stereo/Surround/Atmos System - Speaker Configuration & How Many Speakers?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the process of changing from my old, non dedicated 5.1 room to a 100% dedicated Atmos room with 7.2.4 configuration (so that would be J). Almost there - I expect it to be ready before the end of the month.

The old 5.1 room has been reconverted to stereo (2.1, that's option C). Sounds pretty decent for a non dedicated space and I still use it frequently for casual listens.

I thought it'd be interesting to find out what percent of the Quadraphonic Quad Forum's members have what speaker configurations & how many speakers. Don't need to know the rest of your components, whether your system is digital, analog, or a combination, how many subwoofers you have, etc. Just please answer which of the below apply to you based only on your current system or systems in your home & any second or vacation homes. It is assumed the folks with Dolby Atmos multiple speaker setups including heights have at least one subwoofer.

A. Soundbar without Dolby Atmos

B. Soundbar with Dolby Atmos

C. Stereo (2 speakers) including if you have a 2.0 or 2.1 system with subwoofer(s).

D. Quadraphonic (4 speakers) including if you have a 4.0 or 4.1 system with subwoofer(s)

E. 5.0 (5 speakers) including if you have a 5.0 or 5.1 system with subwoofer(s)

F. 7.0 (7 speakers) including if you have a 7.0 or 7.1 system with subwoofer(s)

G. 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system, with 5 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 2 ceiling/height speakers.

H. 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos system, with 5 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 4 ceiling/height speakers.

I. 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos system, with 7 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 2 ceiling/height speakers.

J. 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos system, with 7 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 4 ceiling/height speakers.

K. System with more than 7 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and/or more than 4 ceiling/height speakers.

In my one home, I have multiple systems: E, H and K.

How about you?
For Dolby (various flavours but not Atmos), 7.1. Also 6.1 with ambisonic (UHJ & B-Format & enhance/superstereo).

H- 5.1.4 for our dual duty (2.1/5.1.4) big rig. However there is actually four identical subwoofers arranged in pairs at the quarter wave points along the front and rear walls. The subs are fed the .1 signal via a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 configured in its multi-sub mode to provide time alignment and PEQ exclusive to the subwoofer passband. Did I mention I'm a BIG proponent of distributed bass arrays? Effortless smooth bottom end down into the single digits is AWESOME for both movies and music!

Last edited:
Deja vu?

Yep, some of us really are hanging speakers from the ceiling and listening to these new 12 channel mixes!

Still [J] 7.1.4 here in my main room. Speaker managing everything below 80Hz in the 11 main channels to the Lfe as appropriate for the system.

Small PA set up in quad in my jam room for my guitar rig. :D

Last edited:
Had to copy this to figure it out.

A. Soundbar without Dolby Atmos
B. Soundbar with Dolby Atmos
C. Stereo (2 speakers) including if you have a 2.0 or 2.1 system with subwoofer(s).
D. Quadraphonic (4 speakers) including if you have a 4.0 or 4.1 system with subwoofer(s)
E. 5.0 (5 speakers) including if you have a 5.0 or 5.1 system with subwoofer(s)
F. 7.0 (7 speakers) including if you have a 7.0 or 7.1 system with subwoofer(s)
G. 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system, with 5 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 2 ceiling/height speakers.
H. 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos system, with 5 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 4 ceiling/height speakers.
I. 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos system, with 7 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 2 ceiling/height speakers.
J. 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos system, with 7 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and 4 ceiling/height speakers.
K. System with more than 7 main speakers, subwoofer(s), and/or more than 4 ceiling/height speakers.

Currently, I have an 8.1 quadraphonic system (can do the diamond formats).

See my avatar for an 8.0.1.1.0 system I had been building.

I am envisioning an 8.1.2.2.2 system (surround.subwoofers.heights.depths.delays).

ds-12-s.gif

It is intended to work with all of the following systems:

- Quadraphonic (eventually with an SM)
- Quadraphonic diamond
- Octophonic (enhanced QS)
- Dolby surround/Pro-Logic
- Hexaphonic tridee and Tetraphonic tridee
- Surrfield
- Spheround
- Dolby Digital
- Some form of Atmos

I have two home theaters with 7.1.4 and another with 5.1.4 which I only use for imax enhanced material. I have in the last year become interested in Auro 3d which I think is another level above atmos. I have several Auro 3d movies and concerts but would like to know where to find more if anyone knows. Just purchased Prince-sign of times in Auro 3d again is another level above the atmos mix. I just joined quadraphonicquad yesterday but have enjoyed what I have been reading so far.

Currently I am an E in my main floor music room (5.0). And a G In basement home theater (5.2.2).

Back