4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit late to the party, but I wanted to be the latest person to extend my gratitude to @ForagingRhino and everyone at Warners for making this happen.

Having some peripheral experience with this in my time working with D-V, I can say with a degree of authority that making these kinds of things happen not only requires a remarkable number of stars to align, it also takes a lot of patience, effort and determination from the person tasked with shepherding it to fruition. We're incredibly lucky to count someone like Steve in our ranks because he's truly one of the good guys by going to bat for quad like he has with the Chicago and Doobies sets, and now with this new batch of releases.

I know no one needs their arm twisted to buy any of these discs, but I did want to say what I always say when D-V puts out new releases - if you like the concept and want more, vote with your wallet, even if that means just buying one and taking a chance on an album you don't know all that well.

For my money there are at least two stone-cold classics in Paranoid and Billion Dollar Babies - Tony Iommi's triple-tracked soloing never sounded better than it does in the Paranoid quad mix, and even if you have Gary Lux's old 5.1 mix of B$B you need the quad mix because it makes the 5.1 sound like mono by comparison.

The Aretha Franklin Quadio DTS DVD indeed featured some amazing material in stellar quad mixes. Chain of Fools with cool guitar intro, Day Dreaming, and I Say a Little Prayer with the backing Gospel choir vocals sounding so prominent, faves from that disc, really worked for me.

But since there is a dire need to get quad mixed albums out before the door slams shut again, I hope that other things we've not been able to previously acquire are given priority now.

I know this is very, very late in this game, but DVDs can have DD 4.0 + DTS 4.0 + stereo PCM, just wondering why Blu-ray was chosen as the optical disc format (seems like a 'Quadio' DVD could contain the same soundtracks as a 'Quadio' Blu-ray, yet not be as fragile)?

Kirk Bayne

I'm gonna pass on these; I am grateful for the continuation of the Quadio releases, but I'm just not that interested in these albums. I'll let someone with greater interest have at it :)
Same here, I like some of the bands, but the hassle in buying from the states keeps me away. Did that with the Doobies set, and never again. :cautious:

Ordered the bundle, we return from Sweden to Pennsylvania on Monday. It's been a long 3 weeks. Happy Midsommar everyone!
Nice Midsummer in Helsinki area. Light, light & light.

Ordered yesterday three bundles and Apple MacBook & Safari worked nicely with Rhino shop. My first order from them. When I'll got notice from custom office, I'll click "a present from a friend" and give its value 45 euros. I have economy wars which we have. All people united agains wars and start it with no paying to custom & taxes!!!

I know this is very, very late in this game, but DVDs can have DD 4.0 + DTS 4.0 + stereo PCM, just wondering why Blu-ray was chosen as the optical disc format (seems like a 'Quadio' DVD could contain the same soundtracks as a 'Quadio' Blu-ray, yet not be as fragile)?

Kirk Bayne
"Fragile?" In what way is a Blu-ray "fragile?"

In any case, it's clear why Blu-ray was chosen: easier authoring for 24/192 lossless stereo and quad.

I still never received my order placed email for the bundle even though I got a PayPal receipt. I shot Rhino an email but I am guessing they are a little busy right now lol.

Thank you to Foraging Rhino for driving this along and keeping us informed esp. re the UK situation.

Thank you to Sir Frederick of Blue for the voucher code.

Thank you to Lord Jon of Urban for your enthusiastic review of J Geils I read somewhere. Not the kind of thing I would normally buy but the review changed my mind.

Thank you to Rhino for pricing these reasonably - and the bundle price, shipping cost and voucher code really made a difference, too.

I used Firefox browser and had no problems - just thought I'd mention as some people had trouble in FF I think?

Hey, I must be feeling optimistic about these releases - rather than checking out as a guest I signed up for a full account, ready for next time! These releases are so popular they might get into some sort of reissue/ heritage chart this week!

I'm from EU and in Rhino's "Order Summary" there is $0.00 for tax.
Yes, certainly in the UK that is not what is expected. Seeing as Rhino add state tax on it might not be too difficult for them to implement overseas tax amounts. I imagine it's mainly the admin in checking the different rates which stops them. However, it does put people off purchasing so might be worthwhile for Rhino to implement it.

I have followed this thread since the begining and this is my first post.
I really only have interest in one release but the bargain for all four has me salvating. I have no idea about the J Geils album but am very familiar with the other three. Ordering all four on the 23rd! Probably not at 00:01 on the 23rd but maybe 00:02(unlikely)!
J Geils were a great rock band, so go for the deal. If you end up hating 1 album just sell it on discogs.

J Geils was a real popular uptempo blues rock band in the 70s and 80s. They excelled best as a hard rocking live group. I first saw them at a 4th of July concert at the Oakland, California Colosseum, with this lineup 44 years ago:

Day On The Green #2: Journey, The J. Geils Band, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Nazareth, The Rockets (July 4, 1979)

One of the songs from this Quadio reached No 12 on the charts and was a big hit on the radio.
From Wikipedia:
Their biggest hits included "Must of Got Lost" (No. 12 in 1975)

It also has "Detroit Breakdown” which is great. I also saw them as one of the opening acts for The Rolling Stones 1981 “Tattoo You” tour. So, hell yeah I’m looking forward to this title as much as I am for the other ones. I appreciate everyone who bought the title even though it’s understandable many folks may not be familiar with them. Somehow they “Must of Got Lost” to history. But because of all of you, and all those who worked hard to get these out, we can be proud that the music is saved for all time. And we get to hear it all in 24/196! Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmares...and_Other_Tales_from_the_Vinyl_Jungle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_J._Geils_Band

Lawyers.
We had to come up with a logo quick. They wouldn't let us use the vintage logos as they (somewhat rightly) pointed out that these discs do not use THAT tech.
Lawyers? Lawyers In Love by Jackson Browne. That's on one of your labels, Asylum. Now that would make a fine 5.1 someday...and perhaps flatter the esquires in the ivory tower.

Back