4 New Quadio releases coming in June!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Great Horned One says that he believes there are 5000 units of each disc with perhaps a bit more for Paranoid. I wonder how many of those will be sold to almost immediately to QQ forum members and to those members of The Forum Which Must Not Be Named.

Didn't someone mention conducting a poll on this earlier in the thread?

J Geils was a real popular uptempo blues rock band in the 70s and 80s. They excelled best as a hard rocking live group. I first saw them at a 4th of July concert at the Oakland, California Colosseum, with this lineup 44 years ago:

Day On The Green #2: Journey, The J. Geils Band, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Nazareth, The Rockets (July 4, 1979)

One of the songs from this Quadio reached No 12 on the charts and was a big hit on the radio.
From Wikipedia:
Their biggest hits included "Must of Got Lost" (No. 12 in 1975)

It also has "Detroit Breakdown” which is great. I also saw them as one of the opening acts for The Rolling Stones 1981 “Tattoo You” tour. So, hell yeah I’m looking forward to this title as much as I am for the other ones. I appreciate everyone who bought the title even though it’s understandable many folks may not be familiar with them. Somehow they “Must of Got Lost” to history. But because of all of you, and all those who worked hard to get these out, we can be proud that the music is saved for all time. And we get to hear it all in 24/196! Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmares...and_Other_Tales_from_the_Vinyl_Jungle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_J._Geils_Band

I'm still umming and aahing about what to do :confused:! The only one of the 4 that I really want is Paranoid, and that's not going to be on sale in the UK. Which leads to the option of getting all 4 from Rhino US. I know the singles from the Alice Cooper, but I'm not a massive fan. J Geils Band and Jefferson Starship aren't that widely known in the UK, so I haven't heard anything off these 2 albums before. The 2 songs posted from the J Geils Band above are nice. I googled Red Octopus, and read that it was quite ballad heavy. I then listened to Miracles off that album on YouTube, and didn't like that at all, a bit of a croonery dirge, rather than a rock band ballad. I'm confusing myself now!

I've been Dazed and Confused for song long it's not true, I wanted some Quad, but I can't just go for 2.......

I know this is very, very late in this game, but DVDs can have DD 4.0 + DTS 4.0 + stereo PCM, just wondering why Blu-ray was chosen as the optical disc format (seems like a 'Quadio' DVD could contain the same soundtracks as a 'Quadio' Blu-ray, yet not be as fragile)?

Kirk Bayne
Because there's no excuse for using lossy compression in this day and age when better technology exists.

I heard a rumor the next drop of 4 will be in October 👍🏻
Since Rhino delivered "Jefferson Starship - Miracles" and "The J.Geils Band - Nightmares..." Quad mixes in this current batch,
I'm becoming more & more optimistic that Rhino will continue with Quadraphonic releases from these two bands and give us

"The J.Geils Band - Bloodshot"
"Jefferson Starship - Spitfire"

in the next batch. 🎶

edit 6/25/2023
I bought the current 'Bundle' 🎶 😀

"Paranoid" - This is my first Black Sabbath purchase ever.

"Nightmares" - I've never owned this one before. I have "Bloodshot" on LP & CD and it ROCKS.
"Ain't Nothin' But A House Party" literally jumps out of the speakers at you ! So I have similar High Hopes for "Nightmares".

"Billion $ Babies" - I own this one in several formats (LP, CD, DVD-Audio). I can't wait to hear the Quad version, which I've never heard before.

"Red Octopus" - ditto, I own this one on LP & CD. I can't wait to hear the Quad mix for the 1st time.

Last edited:
Since Rhino delivered "Jefferson Starship - Miracles" and "The J.Geils Band - Nightmares..." Quad mixes in this current batch,
I'm becoming more optimistic that Rhino will continue with Quadraphonic releases from these two bands and give us

"The J.Geils Band - Bloodshot"
"Jefferson Starship - Spitfire"

in the next batch. 🎶
I must be too picky. I would rather each set of 4 be from a different artist/band altogether. But, yeah. Clearly I will be buying what they put out. I want them all.

Next batch will be a more varied selection of Quadios. 3 are already at ref disc stage and they sound great.
I like the sound of that! As much as I love classic rock I didn't necessarily need all four releases on the same day to be such. Some R&B and/or jazz in the next batch would be awesome! (y)

I know this is very, very late in this game, but DVDs can have DD 4.0 + DTS 4.0 + stereo PCM, just wondering why Blu-ray was chosen as the optical disc format (seems like a 'Quadio' DVD could contain the same soundtracks as a 'Quadio' Blu-ray, yet not be as fragile)?
DD and DTS are lossy, why would we want that in this day and age? For DVD to make any sense it needs to be DVD-Audio/Video to have the MLP lossless for surround. But that's a format of the past in general, and less and less people can play the DVD-A part as time goes on.

Blu Ray is a modern format that can fit tons of audio content, all in lossless, hi res and multi channel. It's the only physical format left for multi channel that makes sense. SACD somehow refuses to die but to me that's an oddity that I don't understand. Blu Ray does the job so much better.

Last edited:
Back