Alan Parsons to Release "Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe" 5.1 Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could be wrong, but maybe the reason why the 1987 stereo mix is not included on the Blu-Ray is because there's no way they can create a high-resolution master of that mix.
On CDs released during that time period of the 1987 mix, they show the CD to be an ADD CD, meaning the recording was analogue, but all subsequent mixing and mastering was done digitally, so therefore, the material is probably stuck at whatever sampling rate and bit depth that was used at the time.

I don't understand. Is it early to ask confirmation if only the 1976 mix is included because more information is pending?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have already confirmed that the 1987 mix will not be on the Blu-Ray. There will only be one stereo mix on the disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too - and I added a note to vendor on PayPal saying do them all as 5.1 stand alone BD-As and I'll buy them all! I Robot is in my Top 10 albums so I'd love it in surround

If we all purchase this release in either form, that certainly won't hurt the prospect of future releases, but because all of the other APP albums are on a different label (Sony/Arista) I'm completely in the mindset that this is a one-off release, and I'm not expecting anything else in the future, though I would love it! :)

If we all purchase this release in either form, that certainly won't hurt the prospect of future releases, but because all of the other APP albums are on a different label (Sony/Arista) I'm completely in the mindset that this is a one-off release, and I'm not expecting anything else in the future, though I would love it! :)

I really would like to see AP do I Robot and Pyramid as well, but I'm also not holding my breath for them. Meanwhile, I recently bought the stereo SACD of I Robot, which I have yet to listen to. Hopefully DPLII will do a decent job on that one.

Just thinking out loud here:
If Sony & Arista records are unwilling to reissue the other APP albums in surround sound, I wonder if a label like Panegyric could step in, license the albums for reissue on their own label, have Alan Parsons create new surround & stereo mixes for all of those APP albums, and release them in CD/Blu-Ray editions.

Cause if any catalogue is worthy of a Panegyric-style deluxe release, it would be the Alan Parsons Project! :)

I just saw this and placed my pre-order for the stand-alone BD via PledgeMusic. I have no need or desire for the demos or LP's. I hope this does ship in the month of December but will be patient if it doesn't ship until sometime next year. Also, I hope this first album is a success so AP can see that it sells and delve into remixing most/all the other APP catalog.

Interesting story behind this album for me. I was first introduced to APP when I lived in Portland Oregon with the release of "Pyramid". From there, I purchased "I, Robot" and then the next release, "Eve". I played the hell out of all three and had them on cassette and lp. I managed to get every APP release up through "Stereotomy", in which I started to lose interest and never purchased "Gaudi" or TOMAI. When AP remastered all their albums on Compact Disc starting in 2007. Not sure how I missed out on "Tales" because it's an excellent album. Although, I enjoy listening to "Gaudi" and "Stereotomy" (the better album -IMO), they are still the least two in the catalog that I play.

I have also put my money on the table for the Blu ray only disc.

the description is a bit flakey

'The Original 1976 album “Tales Of Mystery and Imagination” remastered in Ultra High Quality Audio in 5.1 at Capitol Studios in LA this summer by Alan Parsons'

but I assume the blu ray will be the same as the bigger box which has the tracks listed twice so stereo and 5.1

I have also put my money on the table for the Blu ray only disc.

the description is a bit flakey

'The Original 1976 album “Tales Of Mystery and Imagination” remastered in Ultra High Quality Audio in 5.1 at Capitol Studios in LA this summer by Alan Parsons'

but I assume the blu ray will be the same as the bigger box which has the tracks listed twice so stereo and 5.1

Yes, the Blu-Ray should be the same for both editions.

A small silly part of me is still hoping that somehow, it's the 1976 mix but with the only small difference that Alan Parsons went ahead and put the Orson Welles narration in it in the name of creative liberty or something.

I know that's probably not true, but I find it so hard to imagine this album without the iconic Orson Welles lines... :-(

Still buying this one, of course. I've been wishing for a 5.1 mix of this ever since I started collecting music in surround.

WAIT A MINUTE.

I just realized something!!!

The full isolated Orson Welles dialogue is available as a bonus track on the 2007 special edition!

My friend Mr. Audacity will have a talk with that 5.1 mix.

Yes, it would be nice if the Orson Welles dialogue was built-in to the stereo & surround mixes on the Blu-Ray while still retaining the sound of the original 76 mix, but like you said, there are ways to create a version with the Orson Welles dialogue if it's not on the Blu-Ray. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back