Batch #2 of Rhino Atmos Blu-Rays coming August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my fantasy batch #2 would be;

Chic (Steven Wilson Atmos mix Compilation or 5 album compendium),

Grateful Dead "American Beauty" (Steven Wilson Atmos mix, 5.1 Mickey Hart mix),

Sister Sledge "We Are Family" (Steven Wilson Atmos),

Carly Simon "No Secrets" (Frank Filipetti Atmos, Frank Filipetti 5.1 DVD-A mix, Quad)
Though I like this list, I'd save American Beauty for a GD Quadio mini-box set.

Donna Summer's catalogue's with Universal, there's only a mere handful of her tracks streaming in Atmos at present and none of them were mixed by Steven Wilson. 🤷🏻‍♀️

apart from that, it's a green light all the way for a Rhino Blu-ray release of Donna Summer! 😂✌️🥳
Does Bruce Sudano have the rights to Donna's post-Casablanca albums? They have been reissued on different labels. Most folks would be most interested in her Casablanca music, but a lot of fine music came after.

Does Bruce Sudano have the rights to Donna's post-Casablanca albums? They have been reissued on different labels. Most folks would be most interested in her Casablanca music, but a lot of fine music came after.
i've no idea what the situation is outside the UK but here the albums that were originally on Geffen/Warner are on the estate's own 'Driven By The Music' imprint, licensed to Crimson Productions Ltd and distributed by Demon Music Group.

i've given up hope any of that material will ever get the Surround treatment seeing as each of the Geffen/Warner albums have been reissued in this country about 387 times with inconsequential remastering, slightly different tracks and variations on the same packaging theme 🤷🏻‍♀️

as for her earlier Casablanca classics (plus 1983's "She Works Hard For The Money" originally on Mercury due to legal wranglings where her old label asserted she still owed them an album at the time), Universal have just barely dipped a toe into a track here and there off 2-3 of those albums and though the mixes are rather good, it's really a half-assed effort for such a stunning artist who's music is a perfect fit for Surround. sigh 🤦‍♀️

good idea! 💡🤩

let's swap out "American Beauty" with Neil Young's “Harvest”! 🙏
I like the sound of that! I've not bought the old DVD-A of Harvest because it's so divisive (of course, possibly I'm denying myself some real pleasure as I've never heard it.) Based on the DVD-Audio's poor reputation though, I bet a redone mix would be a pretty solid seller...after all, the material's no slouch. :sneaky:

...but the Bob Welch version, which he recorded after leaving FM was the much more popular one.
Although, it's really more like FM re-recorded it since I think most of them are either on the record or produced it.

That would be a phenomenal album for Atmos! I have that on vinyl from way back and was one of my favs for playback with QS VM.
It's a glossy production like Fleetwood Mac of that era but with all the rich instrumentation & Welch's vocals, just imagine what Steven Wilson could do with it. I'd buy an Atmos BD of the album in a nanosecond :) Please some label do this!

That thought of the Stephen Stills' first solo album that almost came out in quad . . . <heavy sigh>. Forget
Dolby Atmos, how about just 5.1? Although I just noticed I am only buying Dolby Atmos music now. Is 5.1 over?

That thought of the Stephen Stills' first solo album that almost came out in quad . . . <heavy sigh>. Forget
Dolby Atmos, how about just 5.1? Although I just noticed I am only buying Dolby Atmos music now. Is 5.1 over?
While streaming services have provided a major boost to Dolby Atmos, a significant number of physical media releases include Dolby Atmos AND 5.1(especially if it’s Steven Wilson doing the mixes).

Back