Dream Theater - Parasomnia (Atmos!) - Feb 7

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alansanchez86

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Im so excited about the return of Mike Portnoy to Dream Theater, I'm seeing them in San Antonio, TX next feb!

Single just went out today and so far I've read positive reviews. I'm not listening to any single until the album comes out in Feb 7.

Excited that it will come out in atmos (though in a boxset), does anyone know about the engineer? (Mark Gittins)

Cant find a link that gives detail about this other than a reliable prog facebook page that I follow, and that is in spanish.

Looks like we find out tomorrow:

https://dreamtheater.net/dream-theater-announces-new-album-parasomnia/

We are thrilled to announce our sixteenth studio album, Parasomnia, scheduled for release on February 7, 2025. This album marks the beginning of a special new chapter for us as bandmates and as brothers.

Watch the music video for “Night Terror,” directed by Mike Leonard.

Here’s the full tracklist for Parasomnia:

1. In The Arms Of Morpheus (5:22)
  2. Night Terror (9:55)
  3. A Broken Man (8:30)
  4. Dead Asleep (11:06)
  5. Midnight Messiah (7:58)
  6. Are We Dreaming? (1:28)
  7. Bend The Clock (7:24)
  8. The Shadow Man Incident (19:32)
Parasomnia will be available for pre-order starting October 11, 2024, in several special configurations, including a Limited Deluxe Box-set and a Limited Gatefold 180g Vinyl. This album represents not just our growth as musicians but also the journey we’ve embarked on together over the last four decades.

As we step into this new era for Dream Theater, we invite you to join us on our 40th Anniversary Tour, kicking off on October 20, 2024 at the O2 Arena in London, England. For more information on tickets and VIP packages, please visit https://dreamtheater.net/tour/.

Thank you for being part of our journey. We can’t wait to share this record with you.

QQ focus:
Ltd Deluxe 2CD+Blu-ray Artbook - (Incl. CD1: full album, CD2: instrumentals, Blu-ray: Dolby Atmos & 5.1 Surround Sound - mixed by Mark Gittins, High-Resolution Stereo Mixes, animated visualizers for each song created by Wayne Joyner, + 68-page booklet)
(taken from Metal Underground)

Mark Gittins is credited for mixing the latest Judas Priest album, together with Andy Sneap. He also did Good Neighbours or Sigma.

Last edited:
and this info

Parasomnia will be available for pre-order here starting October 11th in the following configurations:
Ltd Deluxe Box-set – includes Ltd Deluxe 2CD+Blu-ray Artbook (Incl. CD1: full album, CD2: instrumentals, Blu-ray: Dolby Atmos & 5.1 Surround Sound - mixed by Mark Gittins, High-Resolution Stereo Mixes, animated visualizers for each song created by Wayne Joyner, + 68-page booklet), Ltd Gatefold 180g Dark Green 2LP (feat. alternative cover artwork), Majesty-logo dream catcher keyring, Sleeping mask, Dream journal, 60x60cm poster & hand-numbered, foil-stamped certificate of authenticity. Limited to 3500 copies worldwide.
Ltd Deluxe 2CD+Blu-ray Artbook - (Incl. CD1: full album, CD2: instrumentals, Blu-ray: Dolby Atmos & 5.1 Surround Sound - mixed by Mark Gittins, High-Resolution Stereo Mixes, animated visualizers for each song created by Wayne Joyner, + 68-page booklet)
Gatefold 180g 2LP + 12-page LP-booklet
Special Edition CD Digipak
Digital Album - (incl. Dolby Atmos - mixed by Mark Gittins)

With the excitement around the band's reunion at a fever pitch, Dream Theater will be embarking on a world tour. An Evening with Dream Theater 40th Anniversary Tour 2024 – 2025 will be the first tour since drummer Mike Portnoy's return to the lineup joining vocalist James LaBrie, guitarist John Petrucci, bassist John Myung, and keyboardist Jordan Rudess. The tour kicks off October 20th in London, England at the O2 before wrapping up December 22nd in Santiago, Chile. The North American leg is scheduled to kick off on February 7 in Philadelphia, PA and runs through March 22 where it wraps in the band's hometown of New York City. Dream Theater will be performing classics and fan favorites from their catalog in what promises to be an unforgettable evening of music. More information on all tickets and VIP packages can be found at https://dreamtheater.net/tour/.

I might sound like a buzzkill but I'm not even remotely interested in the comeback of Mike Portnoy - to be honest, the only DT album I've truly enjoyed in the last 20 years is the first album they released without him (A Dramatic Turn of Events). To these ears, they managed to regain some freshness there that I had been missing in them for a long time.

I absolutely love everything they released from 1992 to 2002, and to me that streak of albums is almost unsurpassed by any other band (I'd only put Yes 1971-1977 above them), but after Six Degrees most of their albums are a boredom fest to me. I haven't even listened to the last 3 ones they released because I couldn't be bothered anymore.

I know they still have a lot of fans who enjoy their recent output and are excited about Portnoy's return, so it's great to see there's an Atmos mix coming, but I don't think I'll ever find the motivation to listen to it. I still love their older albums as much as I did back in the day though - they are desert island albums to me.

I might sound like a buzzkill but I'm not even remotely interested in the comeback of Mike Portnoy - to be honest, the only DT album I've truly enjoyed in the last 20 years is the first album they released without him (A Dramatic Turn of Events). To these ears, they managed to regain some freshness there that I had been missing in them for a long time.

I absolutely love everything they released from 1992 to 2002, and to me that streak of albums is almost unsurpassed by any other band (I'd only put Yes 1971-1977 above them), but after Six Degrees most of their albums are a boredom fest to me. I haven't even listened to the last 3 ones they released because I couldn't be bothered anymore.

I know they still have a lot of fans who enjoy their recent output and are excited about Portnoy's return, so it's great to see there's an Atmos mix coming, but I don't think I'll ever find the motivation to listen to it. I still love their older albums as much as I did back in the day though - they are desert island albums to me.
I had my own opinion but after reading yours I'm going to steal and run with it. We should all be grateful you shared it!

QQ focus:
(taken from Metal Underground)

Mark Gittins is credited for mixing the latest Judas Priest album, together with Andy Sneap. He also did Good Neighbours or Sigma.
If this variation of the set (no vinyl/goodies) costs as much as the last album (around $60 USD), I can see splurging for it. But I would hope for a better surround mix, the last album's 5.1 wasn't very impressive. Maybe getting an Atmos engineer on board will ensure a better baseline standard.

Faie enough. I would say give Train of Thought a shot. To me it is their most cohesive and interesting release since Metropolis.

Faie enough. I would say give Train of Thought a shot. To me it is their most cohesive and interesting release since Metropolis.

It's certainly cohesive because it's probably the last album in which they went for a specific stylistic direction that was somewhat different from any of their previous albums and didn't sound like recycling previous ideas, so I gave them credit for that. I wasn't super enthusiastic about the songwriting, though.

Back